PDA

View Full Version : Rasp brush

Adam Cruea
10-16-2012, 9:17 AM
I debated posting this because it almost seemed a bit daft, but hey, there is no stupid question, right? :o

Anyway, Auriou suggests using a fiber-bristle brush to clean a rasp. Any certain brand or type of fiber that tends to hold up well to the sharp teeth and/or seems to get the junk out better than another?

Thanks.

Ralph Boumenot
10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Joel at Tools for working wood sells a hog bristle brush for cleaning rasps. It's about $3 and it works well. You won't have to worry about it dulling the teeth. Might almost recommend getting the CMT cleaner because there are going to be stubborn bits of wood that the brush won't clean out.

Kent A Bathurst
10-16-2012, 10:26 AM
I use something similar.

But - I have also used a corner grocery store white plastic stiff-bristled scrub brush. I don't see any difference, except the "official" rasp brush looks cooler hanging on the tool wall.

Jim Koepke
10-16-2012, 11:07 AM
My rasp brush is one of the plastic models from the cleaning section of a grocer store. The length of the bristles were shortened with scissors to give them a bit more stiffness.

After this is used there is sometimes a little bit of compacted wood left in the pits at the base of the teeth. For this I have used a brass bristle "tooth" brush. Available at most welding supply stores and metal working specialty stores. This helps some, but often there is still some to clean. For this a small pick is used to get the last remnants of wood removed. This is done under a magnafier lamp. It actually goes fairly fast.

Some woods are more problematic than others. Some firs will load up the rasps with a sticky pulp. Dry hardwoods usually clean out with just the small plastic brush.

I have seen shoe polishing brushes with a wooden body and handle that have stiff natural bristles. If I ever see one of those again with some spare cash in hand, it will come home with me.

jtk

glenn bradley
10-16-2012, 1:34 PM
I also use a cheap fingernail brush; about a buck at Wal-Mart. I've been using the same one for years although I bought three because I was sure it would wear down. I guess I have spares to last me till the end of the trail ;-). I do not rasp green wood so pitch buildup isn't an issue for me. Something more aggressive might be required if you are rasping some gnarly stuff that gets goop stuck in the gullets.

Brian Myers
10-16-2012, 7:17 PM
I have a File card with a rasp brush on the backside, the bristles are plastic but very short.