PDA

View Full Version : Buttons to control a VFD

Rick Fisher
10-16-2012, 1:41 AM
http://www.factorymation.com/s.nl/it.A/id.66716/.f?sc=2&category=265836

I have an FM-50 VFD .. To be mounted on a tool that has no starter .. ( had one but its gone ) ..

As part of the restoration I figured a nice on-off button to operate the VFD would work ..

My thinking is that a mag starter is sorta pointless..

having said that .. A Mag starter isn't really much more money and would allow the machine to just run safely off PH 3 power ..

Would this work ?

Any advice ?

Charles Lent
10-16-2012, 7:45 AM
You can add start and stop buttons to the VFD and then use a disconnect switch to turn the power to the VFD on and off or you can do it with a mag starter. Whatever you do, don't put the disconnect switch or mag starter between the VFD and the motor. The VFDs don't like that.

Charley

John Lifer
10-16-2012, 8:07 AM
If you are mounting directly to the machine, is it where you can use the FM50 on off switch?
That is all you need if it will suffice, such as for a drill press. For a TS, I'd for sure mount a better i.e. larger switch.
What you have linked is plenty sufficient, just wire it up to the correct auxilliary terminals,(usually 12V terminals) not between power to motor and the FM50. Read your manual, you'll have to change settings to make it work.

Stephen Cherry
10-16-2012, 9:54 AM
You may need a relay with two output contacts to run that switch box. I like the idea of using the original 3 phase contactor to run the drive because it gives an audible cue that things have started. You can do this by wiring the 220 to the two legs of the contactor that run the contactors coil, and then using the remaining contact as a run permit for the drive.

John Lifer
10-16-2012, 8:13 PM
You may need a relay with two output contacts to run that switch box. I like the idea of using the original 3 phase contactor to run the drive because it gives an audible cue that things have started. You can do this by wiring the 220 to the two legs of the contactor that run the contactors coil, and then using the remaining contact as a run permit for the drive.
So you are turning the VFD on and off each time you want to power up the saw? That is pointless and will more than likely prematurely kill the VFD. They are made to be powered continuously. I don't leave mine plugged in all the time, but I would never think of killing it at each time I started up the TS. Plus I don't think I would hear a 'click" due to my hearing protection. The blade turning is enough clue.

Rick Fisher
10-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Hmm ..

I have a 3hp Teco VFD .. But also have a 3 phase panel supplied by a 20hp Phase Perfect ..

My initial plan was to install the VFD in the cabinet of the planer and run it like it was single phase.. It was going to go to a buddy .. Now I am thinking of just keeping it and selling off my original planer ..

The problem is that a Siemens 3 phase 15 amp breaker is about $120.00 in Canada, and then I need Tec cable .. Sigh .. So I figured since I already have a VFD .. why not just use it as such ..

I have 3 x 3 phase machines, but never used a VFD .. I want the freedom to just walk up and turn it on and off as I see fit ..

Its a General 130 planer and I am thinking of putting a shelix head on it and keeping it .. The fella I bought it for will just buy my GI planer .. he has no idea I even bought it for him ..

Stephen Cherry
10-16-2012, 11:24 PM
So you are turning the VFD on and off each time you want to power up the saw? That is pointless and will more than likely prematurely kill the VFD. They are made to be powered continuously. I don't leave mine plugged in all the time, but I would never think of killing it at each time I started up the TS. Plus I don't think I would hear a 'click" due to my hearing protection. The blade turning is enough clue.

No- you wire 220 single phase to the two legs of the contactor that run the contactors coil, then use the third leg as the run permit for the dirve. Drives have an input that when closed cause the drive to start turning the motor. The third leg of the contactor provides that input.

Mike Delyster
10-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Here is how I wired my lathe using the same VFD. For a planer you won't need the speed pot or the Fwd/Rev option. I had a wiring diagram from Richard Andrews for just the start/stop station, but can't find it now. I used his drawing and added the other controls I wanted to use.

Mike Delyster
10-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Here is the same drawing minus the speed pot and Fwd/Rev controls. Wiring a VFD is fairly simple.

P.S. The drawing I started out with from Richard would have looked like this.

Carroll Courtney
10-17-2012, 7:58 PM
Another component added that is not necessary increases the chance of problems, so why?But its what the individual wants,so go for it.This is how I did mine,while not perfect its what I wanted.Post some pics as you go,love to see it----Carroll

Rick Fisher
10-17-2012, 9:52 PM
Carol, that is pretty much what I am talking about except its a push button switch .. Nice looking lathe .