PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Box Elder HF

Eric Holmquist
10-15-2012, 7:31 PM
Box Elder Hollow Form dyed using the Chris Pytlik technique. Around 6" (15cm) tall. Finished with waterborne lacquer

neil mackay
10-15-2012, 8:02 PM
Eric,
Normally I am not a fan of dyed wood.

But on this one it really works, form, shape and colour all come together to make a exceptional piece.

Well done, gets my vote.

Eric Gourieux
10-15-2012, 10:46 PM
That's really nice, Eric. I'm not familiar with Pytlik, so I'll have to look that one up. The dye job is really nice - as is the form. Really nice! I've got some box elder and you've motivated me to get some of it on the lathe. I like!

Doug W Swanson
10-15-2012, 11:22 PM
That is pretty cool. I'm also going to have to research that dye process. Great job!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2012, 12:41 AM
Great looking piece. I do like the color.

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2012, 1:04 AM
Very nice Eric! Nice form and you did a great job with Pytlik's dyeing technique (not as easy as it looks).

Eric Holmquist
10-16-2012, 4:50 AM
Thanks everyone.

The basic idea behind Pytlik's dying technique is to turn the HF moderately thin 3/16th (4mm) or less, the use a metal complex dye (like Transtint) with acetone as a medium and apply the dark color inside and let it bleed through to the outside. Then apply the light color, also with acetone on the outside. Many woods will require bleaching first with a two part bleach.

Chris does not like Box Elder due to the bark inclusions which can allow the inside dye job to run through and drip down the outside.

Michelle Rich
10-16-2012, 6:35 AM
ZOWIE! fascinating color technique

Jordan Gilbert
10-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Wow thats amazing !!! How did you hollow it out ?

Eric Holmquist
10-18-2012, 5:10 AM
Wow thats amazing !!! How did you hollow it out ?

I made my own articulated arm hollowing system

Phil Labowski
10-18-2012, 8:59 PM
Very cool. I have box elder coming out of my ears, but I can't stand how much sanding I had to do to get rid of all the tear out. Did you have that problem as well?

Eric Holmquist
10-19-2012, 5:38 AM
Very cool. I have box elder coming out of my ears, but I can't stand how much sanding I had to do to get rid of all the tear out. Did you have that problem as well?

I tend to struggle with tear out with non-burl box elder, but burl seems to cut better for me for some odd reason.