PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island Pine HF on a pedistal

Eric Gourieux
10-15-2012, 3:42 PM
This is a norfolk island pine HF with pedistal/finial from holly. The finish has been giving me fits, but I'm not giving up. WTF on the HF and rattle can lacquer on the holly pieces.
Measures approx 5.5" x 11" with finial

C & C welcome and appreciated.

Tim Rinehart
10-15-2012, 3:54 PM
Eric, interesting piece with some wonderful detail work. I like that you were able to orient the NIP to get some of the flame effect, something I really like vs just seeing the knots.
Something about the smallness of the base just makes me nervous though...like I would be always in fear of it falling over from slightest jar. I think you could have easily gone twice the diameter without overpowering it...and perhaps lightening the diameter of the bottom cove detail to help offset the bigger base. Proportion wise, I like the height of the support stem, but may consider a shorter finial by about 1/3-1/4 of current height and with a bit more taper in the straightish section of it. Just a thought.
I think this looks like a pretty cool piece overall.

charlie knighton
10-15-2012, 7:17 PM
nicely done nip

Roger Chandler
10-15-2012, 8:13 PM
Fine, fine, .........did I say fine yet? This one is really nice work, Eric. Gotta love the way the branch areas show up when you cut back the form........well done finial and pedestal and the finish is superb! Congratulations on a truly fine piece, Eric!

Doug Herzberg
10-15-2012, 9:03 PM
I like it a lot, Eric. Very nice effect with the branches. The finish looks fine in the pics. WTF gives me fits all the time. So does lacquer.

Doug W Swanson
10-15-2012, 11:26 PM
Looks great! The pedestal and finial color goes great with the dark spots in the form itself. Excellent job!

Eric Gourieux
10-15-2012, 11:58 PM
Thanks, guys, for the kind words and suggestions. Getting the right angle of approach on the branches is the main challenge on these pieces. I agree that the bottom of the base finial may be a bit petite for the length. I'll work on adjusting the next one. Thanks for looking.

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2012, 12:40 AM
Great piece and I probably would have made the base slightly larger but that is just me.

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2012, 1:11 AM
Looks great Eric! The branch orientation looks great and nice job on the finish too.

Michelle Rich
10-16-2012, 6:43 AM
the base makes me nervous too, but the finial is very good. Do you have any holly left..you could make a little ring for the base & give it a hint more width.

Eric Gourieux
10-16-2012, 9:06 AM
This is one of the advantages of the Creek! I appreciate all of the critiques. It's great to have additional eyes on a piece, since I tend to lose sight of the bigger picture (ie: overall form, proportions, etc) after spending so much time on it. The foot is definitely too small - and I missed that. Michelle, I do have more holly and I'll try the ring, as you suggested. I might just re-turn the base if I can't get the ring to look right. I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.