PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge and Generosity

Michael Dromey
10-15-2012, 1:36 PM
I have never met a fellow turner who isn't willing to share knowledge or their time to teach someone to turn. I also think that the world of woodturning has some of the finest people out there. Saturday, Scott Hackler spent a big part of his day at his shop teaching me what he knows about turning. I really appreciate that kind of generosity. I really hope to be able return the favor someday. Thank you Scott.

Mike Dromey

Bill Bulloch
10-15-2012, 2:24 PM
You are right about the generosity of most turners, especially those on the Creek; but there are exceptions. I was talking to a turning friend last night who told me about a turner at a local craft fair that he had recently encountered. He said that he was trying to decide if one of his pieces had a Lacquer or Poly finish., so he ask the vendo. The vendor wouldn't tell him, saying that it was a trade secret that he couldn't share. My friend said that although the piece was nice, it was not extraordinary, but he was going to compliment him it anyway. That was until the guy opened his mouth.

I have never ran across any turner like that, though. Else, I would probably still be trying to rough out a bowl with a Rough Out Gouge.

Mike Cruz
10-15-2012, 9:57 PM
I am where I am today because a fellow Creeker took me under his wing. Had he not come over, shown me the ropes on my old Delta, shown me how to cut up a log, and MADE me watch Bill Grumbine's DVD, I wouldn't have grown as quickly as I did. That is the kind of generosity that you can't put a price on. AND through him, and some other local Creekers, we've now formed a turning club that has 6 local members and a few out of the area guys that have graced us with their presence. Every single member shares any and everything they know...willingly, unselfishly, without bravado...simply to share and help. So, I'll take this opportunity to give a shout out to Tony DeMasi for screwing up my life and sending me to the poor house. :D

Steve Mawson
10-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Total agreement from me. Mike, why are you blaming Tony?:) Last Easter I got a big 100 lb. piece of ambrosia maple from Mike and it took some doing to get it but Mike was a great help.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-16-2012, 12:05 AM
Turners in general and most of the turners here at SMC are a very generous, friendly group!

Bernie Weishapl
10-16-2012, 12:36 AM
Ditto what the others have said. Turners and SMC turners are the best.

Reed Gray
10-16-2012, 12:53 AM
As I have said before, it is as much fun to teach/share as it is to turn.

robo hippy

Kathy Marshall
10-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Ditto what the others said. I haven't met a turner or Creeker yet that wasn't friendly, helpful and willing to share (wether it was time, knowledge or wood).

Scott Hackler
10-16-2012, 9:39 AM
Thanks Mike. We had a fun Saturday afternoon. Any time spent in the shop is better than 90% of anything else!

Mike has the basics and we worked on a large walnut center piece type bowl for a Christmas present. Hopefully I explained what I needed and he was able to absorb some stuff. His better half wont like too many more of these trips if Mike doesn't stop "noting" some of the tools and doodads I have, in his notebook! :) As an admitted tool junkie, I have been accumulating various turning gizmos and tools since starting this trip into the vortex!

Mike Cruz
10-16-2012, 11:13 AM
First of all, I was wondering why you were thanking me, Scott...:rolleyes: Then I realized that Michael must go by Mike.;):D

Secondly, Mike's wife probably TOLD him not to write them down... THAT is what would probably push her over the edge. ;) The more trips where he has fun, and DOESN'T come home saying, " I NEED this new tool that Scott just showed me!" the better. :D

Jamie Donaldson
10-17-2012, 8:57 PM
Turners are by and large the most sharing folks I have encountered over the 25 yrs.I've been turning and learning, and this was not always so during my photography career. But as with all human interactions, once in a while you meet an exception to the norm, a real gaping anal sphincter.

Phil Labowski
10-18-2012, 9:03 PM
I had the same experience with Pete Jordan. The Creek is full of good people.