PDA

View Full Version : Laying Carpet

Russ Filtz
04-18-2005, 10:41 AM
I want to replace some carpet in my bedroom. Right now the entire upstairs is carpeted with a "single" piece of carpet. I'd like to cut the carpet at my bedroom door, rip it up and replace. Room is about 14'3" x 13'. How hard is it to do a room this size by yourself? I assume I could rent a carpet stretcher and buy a threshold for the door pretty easy.

I'm on a VERY tight budget right now (unemployed) and need to do this on the cheap. Is it possible to find a remnant my size? I would just just try to wait my situation out, but the carpet is so bad now (went through 2 toddlers) I think it's giving everyone allergies, probably loaded with mold, etc. My steam cleaner doesn't even make a dent in it anymore!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I have installed carpet before. I am not sure if you can rent a stretcher, but I would think that you could.

I doubt that you would be able to find a remenant in that size, but if you are on a budget, give the carpet shops a call. They may have something in that size that isn't selling well, that you can get on the cheap. May not look the greatest, but what the hey.

Your statement of putting a threshold over the seam is a good one. Makeing that seam match without one is just about impossible without a pro's help.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I want to replace some carpet in my bedroom. Right now the entire upstairs is carpeted with a "single" piece of carpet. I'd like to cut the carpet at my bedroom door, rip it up and replace. Room is about 14'3" x 13'. How hard is it to do a room this size by yourself? I assume I could rent a carpet stretcher and buy a threshold for the door pretty easy.

I'm on a VERY tight budget right now (unemployed) and need to do this on the cheap. Is it possible to find a remnant my size? I would just just try to wait my situation out, but the carpet is so bad now (went through 2 toddlers) I think it's giving everyone allergies, probably loaded with mold, etc. My steam cleaner doesn't even make a dent in it anymore!

We just had carpet installed that went into a room we didn't redo yet. They just cut off the carpet at that doorway and seamed it together with carpet tape--the kind they heat with an iron.

I think carpet is normally something like 12' wide, but one of the Borgs now has it wider (and I'm sure other places as well.) For in-stock carpet they seem pretty reasonable. You might be able to get a low-end carpet pretty cheap.

Tom Saurer
04-18-2005, 11:29 AM
My wife and I had Home Depot install some carpet in our basement. It was quality carpet install at $4 a square foot. For your space that would be about $750.

The carpet installers did a good job. We can't see any seams.

Matt Meiser
04-18-2005, 11:37 AM
One other thing I thought of. You might consider carpet tile or a cheapo laminate floor. You just lay carpet tile down one square at a time alone, or with double stick tape or glue. Its more of a commercial carpet, but sounds like it would be better than what you have. On the laminiate, I've seen it as cheap as 89 cents/sq ft. It probably won't last more than a couple years, but it might work well enough until your kids get older.

Mark Cothren
04-18-2005, 12:23 PM
I rented a stretcher not too long about and it was about $40 for a day's rental. It was from a local hardware store here in central Arkansas. Home Depot didn't rent them, but offered to sell me one at a premium price...

I replaced carpet in my son's bedroom and didn't enjoy it one bit. Good luck with your's!

Mark

Russ Filtz
04-18-2005, 4:55 PM
Thanks all, I went to Lowes and they did sell rolls in 15' widths which would be right for a seamless lay. Prices seemed to vary from about $7-$14 a linear foot. At those prices I could do the room for under $200, probably including the pad. Not sure the quality though. The carpet guy said that to get anything decent you need to be in the $3-$4+ a SF range, carpet only. That seems about 3-4 times the 15' roll prices!