PDA

View Full Version : Corel upgrade on sale

Martin Boekers
10-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Corel X6 on sale upgrade $179.95

http://www.corel.com/corel/product/index.jsp;jsessionid=ORToYRrTREvheNBWRG+PSg**.prd-atg-commerce4?&ym_mid=1442560&countryCode=US&skuId=ESDCDGSX6EN&ym_rid=90408459&1=1&mapcounter=1&pid=prod4260069

Michael Hunter
10-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Good price, but MAKE SURE that the upgrade will work for you.

The X6 upgrade only works with X5 and X4 full versions.

If you have X3 or earlier then it won't work and the "amnesty" on upgrading older versions is well over.

Martin Boekers
10-15-2012, 1:35 PM
Mike it seems more and more companies are only allowing upgrade so far back. I thought Corel would "buck"
the system...guess not. :( I just upgraded my PhotoShop from CS3 to CS6 for that same reason. Didn't want
to be caught when CS7 comes out and have to pay for full license.

Michael Hunter
10-15-2012, 6:10 PM
Martin - I did the same with Corel X6: only updated from X3 because one day I might actually NEED the latest version (and was able to get in during the amnesty).
Annoying as it is more like you rent the software with having to fork out every year or two.

That said, I do find X6 useful for opening files from other systems (including PDFs more and more often).

Bob Rath
11-05-2012, 7:48 PM
I am using X5 and don't know of a compelling reason to upgrade to X6. From a laser operation standpoint, are there X6 features that are a real plus?

Michael Hunter
11-06-2012, 6:02 AM
Hi Bob

I still use X3 to run the laser and for most of my design work.

X6 is useful (as said before) for importing files generated by other software.
I also use X6 for tracing bitmaps - this is a big improvement over tracing in X3, but possibly the same as in X5?

Mike Null
11-06-2012, 6:48 AM
I'm using X5 which is my fourth version. I upgrade after two versions or when I see some features I must have. X5 has been very good and I won't consider an upgrade until at least X7 or later.

Martin Boekers
11-06-2012, 9:41 AM
I am happy with X5, that was a BIG upgrade from 12, esp for importing file formats. Corel now, I believe wil only upgrade
back 3 versions. Chances are I won't upgrade till that gets close. Unless some great feature pops up, or a super discounted price.
I expect somewhere along the way Corel will have a "cloud" service such as Adobe.

Mark Ross
11-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Don't forget to read their new terms of service. We upgraded to 6 because we thought there was a bug in X3, and it went out and wanted to do an auto-update and when we read the terms of service for 6.1 or whatever the service pack ups the software to, we refused.

Martin Boekers
11-06-2012, 12:06 PM
Don't forget to read their new terms of service. We upgraded to 6 because we thought there was a bug in X3, and it went out and wanted to do an auto-update and when we read the terms of service for 6.1 or whatever the service pack ups the software to, we refused.

Reading through the TOS it seemed like the standard TOS, what did you see that you didn't agree with? Most of these TOS
can be modified and superceed previous ones. So chances are the TOS is for all software past and present from Corel. So it
may include the version you have now. Corel does take ideas/critiques fo thier product so if you decide that is a viable route
let us know the outcome.

As we have discussed on SMC software rules are changing all around us, you want to have some fun, ;) check out Adobe products.

Mark Ross
11-07-2012, 10:11 AM
You can do a search using "adobe terms of service" and get the original thread.

Ronald Erickson
11-07-2012, 10:27 AM
Here is the thread about Corel's TOS for X6 Update 1: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?190589-Do-You-Agree-With-Corel-s-New-Terms-of-Service

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2012, 12:57 PM
I also use X6 for tracing bitmaps - this is a big improvement over tracing in X3, but possibly the same as in X5?I saw a big improvement in trace between X3 and X4 (where I am now), although there have probably been further improvements since then.

Lee DeRaud
11-07-2012, 1:01 PM
On a somewhat related note, for those of us with older versions, does anyone know how to keep CD from nagging about the upgrade every time it starts up?