PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Replacement Blades for Stanley No. 51 Spokeshave?

Michael Ray Smith
10-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Anyone have experience with replacement blades for a Stanley #51 spokeshave -- Hock, Lee Valley, Pinnacle, others? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

Greg Wease
10-15-2012, 12:13 PM
I have used both Hock and Veritas and can recommend both. Blades listed for the 151 fit the 51 as well.

Michael Ray Smith
10-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Blades listed for the 151 fit the 51 as well.

Thanks, Greg. I meant to ask that question and forgot.

Ashwini Kaul
10-15-2012, 3:21 PM
I used a Hock and needed to open the mouth a bit to accomodate the thicker blade. The Stanley was much thinner.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-15-2012, 3:35 PM
Haven't used any other maker's replacement blades, but the pre-lapped backs on Veritas blades are a nice touch. The blades with the pre-lapped backs require so little work to put to use, it's very nice.

Paul Saffold
10-15-2012, 4:21 PM
I have a Hock in mine and like it. Lee Valley blades are nice too.

Bill Houghton
10-15-2012, 9:56 PM
Another vote for Lee Valley. Set up takes five minutes. I did have to file out the mouth on one of my spokeshaves to accommodate the blade; but, when I was done, I had a spokeshave with a very fine mouth.

Disclosure: I inspired Rob Lee to produce these (don't know why they hadn't thought of it until I asked). But I'd recommend them even if I didn't have a parental interest in them.

Patrick Tipton
10-16-2012, 7:23 AM
Anyone have experience with replacement blades for a Stanley #51 spokeshave -- Hock, Lee Valley, Pinnacle, others? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

+1 on the Hock.

I too had to open the mouth a fair amount to make it work. Once tuned up though, it works very nicely.