PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-15-2012, 10:55 AM
15 Oct 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
It has been a busy weekend and I'm getting closer to getting back in the shop again for making some sawdust. Family issues are settling and work is stabilizing a bit more now....so I'm hoping that that will equal some time for the shop. I bought a mandolin and I'm planning on learning how to play it. So I'm embarking on a journey that I'm not real sure of but hey, I'm a musician and I would like to learn something new. :)

I do have plans for making some more wooden utensils as well as some cutting boards and I'm getting mentally ready for working with wood once again.

That's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Charles Wiggins
10-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Well the closest I got to woodworking this weekend was running the chainsaw to clear some property. It was mostly brush but I had to take down a few small trees. LOML wants to plant some fruit trees.

Spent the rest of my "free" time replacing washers in the shower faucets. Easy, right? WRONG. Took four trips to the Blue BORG. The last trip was to get SOMETHING to replace the gaskets that their plumbing "expert" told me that they did not have and were not necessary on the third trip. I found a variety pack of gaskets and two were the size I needed.

I wish the hardware store was open late on Saturday and on Sundays.

David Hostetler
10-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Been a hectic, busy, insane weekend...

I fixed a software problem I am having with a web site I do some volunteer work for.
I finished clearing out the drywall from the wall the power in my shop is being installed on.
I took the family in to Houston to get Hair cuts, LOML got her hair color redone... That took all day saturday....
I went to Home Depot to pick up a 1/2" drill bit and jig saw blades for cutting metal.
I drilled the mount holes, and guide holes for the jig saw blade for the cable opening to install the Roller fairlead into the front bumper of my truck. (It's the part that guides the cable onto a winch drum). I managed to burn up my old Skil jigsaw in the process...
I rechecked my measurements one last time to verify the solenoid body will clear the transmission cooler. It will, but boy it will be CLOSE...
Finished the software upgrade and configuration changes to change my old CentOS Athlon XP workstation into a CentOS Athlon XP rsync server. Got a a test job running on my LAN, now time to configure it to work over SSH limited to one specific host...
Wrote up a response to an online interview for another woodworking forums e-magazine. Why they'd be interested in me I have no clue, but okay...
Helped LOML out with household chores. We are behind in doing laundry...
Gave the dog a bath... He was ready...

This upcoming week is going to be hectic to boot. For the upcoming week I have....
#1. Assemble particle board computer Armoire. I love the design, hate the material. Might just try to copy the parts I like out of it from real wood...
#2. Friday I am working with the electrician at the house, getting that sub panel and circuits done. I am totally ready for that...
#3. Saturday, a friend of mine from college is swinging by the house to help me wrestle the winch and mount plate up under the truck, and get the bolts run in... Once we get that handled, I can get the last bits like running the power and remotes handled just fine...

Matt Meiser
10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Saturday, picked up some trim we had ordered for the kitchen, then put up the crown molding, installed the pullouts in the new pantry cabinet, and a whole host of other little tasks.

Sunday, took back the Contact brand shelf liner we bought at Target which was junk, and bought US-Made "Life Liner" at Bed Bath & Beyond and spent the afternoon helping LOML put that in cabinets and unpack everything. After dinner at my parents, went to Menards and got brackets and standards to put adjustable shelving in the old built-in pantry, pulled out all the old wire shelving and patched holes so I can paint inside sometime today. And most importantly, I got everything kitchen related out of the garage and we were able to get both vehicles inside for the first time since August.

Our counters were templated on Friday morning and I approved the drawing on Friday afternoon so fabrication starts this week. I should have an install date sometime today which means I can schedule the tile guy.

Here's a pic my wife took last night.

Dennis Peacock
10-15-2012, 2:00 PM
Matt,
Those cabinets look really good.!!!!

Steven Green
10-15-2012, 3:54 PM
I finished the siding on the front of the new shop, put the pump jacks on the east side of the building and cut the windows out on Saturday morning. Figured and cut the stringers for the stairs and then had to quit and do family stuff. Went up to Girard IL. to the Punkin Chunkin Festival and spent time with some old friends. Got rained out Sunday and wound up going shopping with my bride.

Jeff Monson
10-15-2012, 4:03 PM
Reroofed the house, 42 squares and a really sore back. Roofing is definately not on my list of "prefered" tasks. Its a really nice monkey to have off my back though.

Jim Becker
10-15-2012, 9:12 PM
Woah...I actually started a new woodworking project this weekend! I recently acquired a new-to-me horse trailer and my project is building a storage bench system for in front of the two stalls. I'll be documenting it in the Woodworking Projects forum at first opportunity.

Art Mulder
10-16-2012, 4:41 PM
Here's a pic my wife took last night.

Dennis is right, they look awesome! But I have to ask... Regarding the storage jars above the microwave... That looks just TOO perfect. Was it really coincidence, or did the opening get sized to match the jars?

Matt Meiser
10-16-2012, 4:58 PM
Thanks Dennis and Art. Yes, the opening was sized to match the jars. I actually built an identical cabinet to replace an awful range hood. I wanted to do a taller/deeper cabinet over the microwave but we couldn't go deeper due to microwave specs. i didn't want a long run of doors there and it wouldn't have made for a very useful cabinet anyway so we decided to repeat what I had done before.

Art Mulder
10-17-2012, 9:04 AM
As for me I finished up a couple of cutting boards, and a canoe paddle, which I've been working at in my spare time for the past 2-3 weeks.
These are for a charity auction at church.

The one cutting board (the larger) is an example of "It's so clean you can eat off the floor!" as about 25% of the wood is from some hardwood flooring that was ripped out of a friends house. First bandsaw off the finish (and as an aside, prefinished hardwood flooring can have some stunningly hard finish on it. I bandsaw off a slice that is somewhere around 1/16-3/32 thick, and it won't tear!) and then plane it down and stand it on edge to give some nice hard 1/2" strips.

243462 243463'

The smaller board is oak and walnut, and is around the 8x10'ish size or a touch smaller.
The larger/thicker board is cherry, paduak, and maple (the former flooring) and almost 2" thick. It's nice and solid.
Both are finished with beeswax salad bowl finish (http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20087&cat=1,190,42950&ap=1). (This is just for looks. I'm firmly in the "working cutting boards don't need any finish" camp.)

The paddle is my seventh of the year. (Seventh overall also, as this is the year I started trying my hand at paddles.) With each one I learn a bit more, and it is better than the last.

243464 243465

Black cherry shaft, surrounded on each side by a strip of Spalted maple, Padauk, clear maple, and then more cherry.

(It's really tough to get a good shot showing the entire paddle, since they are so long and skinny.)