PDA

View Full Version : CERMARK - Spray or brush

Mike Troncalli
10-15-2012, 8:51 AM
Hello,

I have a need to engrave some stainless steel cigar cutters and will be using cermark on my 40w.. In your experience do you prefer the spray on method or brush on? Also any suggestions as to power and speed for a 40w.

Thanks

Bruce Volden
10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Well, since I have never used the spray nor do I own a spray gun I opt for the brush method. I thin the Cermark and apply it with a FOAM brush. When it dries it is ALMOST transparent--then laser away! I really like the foam brush method as it gives a very uniform coating, excess can be wrung out back into the container, and it is cheap and disposable. When I am doing knives I can easily apply the Cermark to 8-10 knives before I need to reload the brush----works well for small stuff!

Bruce

Mike Null
10-15-2012, 1:18 PM
It really depends on the item/items and whether it's feasible to spray without wasting too much. Spray is my preferred method but I have certain jobs where the small foam brush is faster, less wasteful, and reduces cleanup immensely.

Mike Troncalli
10-15-2012, 2:30 PM
Thanks for your replies. Since it looks like the majority of what I will be doing is small items, I think I will go with the brush on. Any suggestions as to what works best for you re. speed and power.

Thanks

Chris DeGerolamo
10-15-2012, 3:12 PM
+1 for foam brush. No overspray when you brush, and it's easy with practically no learning curve.

vic casware
10-15-2012, 5:20 PM
I got a fact sheet with my Brush on paste
It says Stainless steel power 100% speed 15-20% DPI/PPI 500/500
If you go to FERRO.com you can search for LMM
the first result is the fact sheet