PDA

View Full Version : Bocote Threaded Box

Mike Peace
10-14-2012, 8:54 PM
Here is a box I just finished of Bocote. It is 2" in diameter and 1 1 1/2" tall. I have not added a finish. This is the first item I have made from Bocote. It was covered in wax so likely is still green. I would not be surprised if the wood moves and the lid gets locked on. I wanted to buy and exotic that I thought I could thread but get sticker shock with boxwood or African Blackwood.

Anyone that has used bocote, what kind of finish did you use if any? It seems a little oily but not nearly as much as cocobolo. My standard finish is AO. I think I will rough out some box blanks from the remaining stick before I turn any more boxes from it.

Greg Just
10-14-2012, 8:56 PM
Very nice Mike. You did a great job with the threads so that the grain pattern matches with the lid screwed on.

Bernie Weishapl
10-14-2012, 9:49 PM
Great looking box Mike. Threading is nicely done.

Jim Burr
10-14-2012, 11:56 PM
Great thread job Mike...what did you use to chase? Seems to me I did a small candy dish a few years ago and beeswax did well. Sure there are 15 million more thoughts, but there's one!

BILL DONAHUE
10-15-2012, 12:01 AM
Very nice! Chasing threads is several years out for me. I admire anyone who can do it.

Michelle Rich
10-15-2012, 5:51 AM
I'm amazed you got it threaded & the pattern still matches.. that's quite a feat..

Mike Peace
10-15-2012, 1:21 PM
Jim, I used Sorby 16tpi chasers. It is not difficult but it does take some practice. I guess I have done about 20 hand chased boxes since I started threading at the end of May.

Bill, you should try it. It is a lot of fun. I have to keep learning new skills in turning or it might get boring.

Michelle, I did get lucky on this one but you can make adjustments to the box shoulder to get a grain match. It just takes more practice.

Tim Rinehart
10-15-2012, 2:33 PM
Very nice shape to the box Mike. Looks like a fine job of hand chasing as well.
Some other woods you may want to try that I've found chase well include pear, redheart, and Argentina osage orange.
But yea...african blackwood has to be at/near the top of the list.

Jim Underwood
10-15-2012, 3:17 PM
Nice Box Mike! I hope it stays round and the lid still works for you.

Mike Peace
10-15-2012, 6:24 PM
Very nice shape to the box Mike. Looks like a fine job of hand chasing as well.
Some other woods you may want to try that I've found chase well include pear, redheart, and Argentina osage orange.
But yea...african blackwood has to be at/near the top of the list.

I have had good luck with US osage orange, redheart and bradford pear. I have also had good luck with dogwood, mountain laurel
mopani, ebony and burmese blackwood which costs about 1/3 of African Blackwood. It is fun trying out different woods.

Chris Woodall
10-15-2012, 9:48 PM
Nice box Mike. The grain match up is perfect