PDA

View Full Version : Rikon Bandsaw owners ??

Dave Tinley
04-18-2005, 9:45 AM
I picked up my Rikon bandsaw this weekend. Got it all wired up and made the necessary adjustments, and think I will like it.
I dont think that the blade that comes on it is all that great. It seems to cut flat stock ok but does not resaw worth a darn.
What brand of blade are y'all using? And where are you getting them?

Dave

Cecil Arnold
04-18-2005, 10:08 AM
If you got the 18" that FWW raited so highly, you might want to look at the Lenox tri-master. It is a pricey blade but everyone who uses one seems to love it. Most of the MM and Laguna owners seem to have opted for these carbide blades for resaw. You can get a basic course in bandsaw from the Ittura catalog. Do a thread search for Ittura and you will find the number to call (in Fla.) to request one. After seeing their catalog you almost feel obligated to buy from them. Where are you in Central Texas? I grew up in Cameron, and we have a weekend place in Gatesville (Turnersville).

John Bush
04-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Dave,
Congrats on you new shop addition. I think the Rikon is a great value and you will enjoy having it in your shop. I got my saw from Cyberwoodworking online and they carry Lenox blades. I use the 1" Varitooth Bi-metal and it works just fine for resawing. I also bought a 1/2" and 3/8" bimetal but haven't used them much yet. My next resaw blade will be the Tri-master carbide, but I really don't need it yet. I recommend contacting Don at Cyberwoodworking and see what he recommends. Good luck, John.

Jamie Buxton
04-18-2005, 11:01 AM
For long life at resawing, I find fewer teeth per inch is better. For instance, 1.3 tpi blades last lots longer than 3 tpi blades. I think the bigger gullets clear sawdust better, which prevents heat build-up on the tips. I use Starrett Woodpecker blades, which I get from Woodworkers Supply (www.woodworker.com).

Alan Marchbanks
04-18-2005, 4:36 PM
I bought a 3/4" Woodslicer from Highland Hardware for just under $50.00. It leaves a very smooth cut on resawn red oak. So far I really like th Rikon 18" BS.

Mike Cutler
04-18-2005, 9:22 PM
I have a Lennox, 1" Tri- Master on the Rikon 18" and it works great. I also have a 1" Lennox Bi-Metal blade also. Both are Vari pitch. I got them from CyberWoodworking. They carry blades sized for the 18" Rikon in stock.