PDA

View Full Version : Turning table legs

Harry Niemann
10-14-2012, 4:24 PM
When making table legs that have a square section transitioning to round, I always seem to have trouble avoiding chipout on the square section. What is the best tool and procedure to avoid digging in?

Joe Herrmann
10-14-2012, 4:42 PM
I always score the line about 1/8" to 1/4" deep with a skew or a sharp spindle gouge before tying to form the half bead. If the wood does split, hopefully it will stop where you scored the line. Also, be careful not to allow your chisel to go past the line.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-14-2012, 4:51 PM
Harry......a skew is what works best for me. Use some scrap 2x2 stock and get some practice before trying to turn the real thing.

David Walser
10-14-2012, 6:39 PM
Harry,

Joe and Ken have given you good tips. Score a line just on the cut-off side of your mark with a skew. Then use a skew to turn your pommel. I was taught to start turning the pommel a good 1/4" to 1/2" on the cutt-off side of your mark and then slowly creep up to the line.

Good luck!

Steve Schlumpf
10-14-2012, 7:28 PM
Harry - I agree that the best tool to use is a skew. Here is a short video that helps explain the method to use: Pummel Cut (http://www.turningtools.co.uk/videos/videoclips/pummel.mpg)

Harry Robinette
10-14-2012, 7:39 PM
Harry
I cheat a little and use a small dove tail saw to score my lines before I put the piece on the lathe. I do know how to do it like the others say but my way is much easier and no skew.

Mike Peace
10-14-2012, 9:01 PM
If you are real comfortable with a skew, go for it. If not, I would suggest trying a bowl gouge. It is much more forgiving than a skew for a pommel cut. This is what Stuart Batty preaches and he started as an apprentice and did a lot of production spindle turning.