PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite NE Bowl

Glenn Hodges
04-18-2005, 9:33 AM
3 weeks ago I went out to Texas near Kingsville, and got a load of mesquite. This is one of the first pieces from that load. It is 11 in. wide X 3 in. high, dried with Dave Smith's alcohol method, finished with tung oil mixture then buffed. Critiques and comments are always welcomed on my work. Thanks for looking.

Jerry Clark
04-18-2005, 9:36 AM
Beautiful bowl Glenn! Nice form and the natural edge really looks nice.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-18-2005, 9:41 AM
Beautiful bowl Glenn! I like the form, the natural edge and the contrasting colors in the wood!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 9:41 AM
Glen,

I really like that bowl. The natural edge and shallow form really set it off.

Raymond Overman
04-18-2005, 10:13 AM
That's a beauty of a bowl there Glenn!

Michael Pfau
04-18-2005, 7:20 PM
Nice Glen, I just worked over some mesquite myself..and love it.

Carole Valentine
04-18-2005, 9:35 PM
Very nice! The contrast between heartwood, sapwood and natural edge is great.

Ernie Nyvall
04-18-2005, 10:23 PM
I've been thinking of getting up that way for some mesquite myself. Got a son that lives in the middle of them.

Nice bowl Glenn.

Ernie

Glenn Hodges
04-19-2005, 8:11 AM
Thanks for all the nice words about my work. The mesquite is a treat to work with. It is very dense and hard, sands without having to remove deep scratches that occur in some soft woods, and it does shine when you get to the really higher grit sandpaper. If you like taking a piece of work thin, then this mesquite will do a nice job for you. I guess you can tell I like working with it. If you have a chance get a piece of it and give it a try. I think those people out in Texas thought I was nuts for driving all that way for mesquite, but what the heck. when I arrived, the guy told me he could not let me have all he promised (he had said I could have all I wanted), he said he was going to have to limit me to 150,000 tons. Well, we all started laughing, because he had me really good. I was able to bring back a 4 wheel trailer and a dually truck full.
Nuts In Georgia, and Up To My Eyeballs In Mesquite Shavings.....