PDA

View Full Version : What language is this?

John Coloccia
10-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Noticed this ad on Craigslist this morning:

1999 Chevy 3500 2 wheel drive vortex 350 gas- auto,- perfect interiors, rustfree cabs one drivers 136-178K miles always serviced @ 3K miles 12' non dump rack bodies- tool box ,HD tow hitches vehicles have just been mechanically checked over $3600.00 one 2000 with engine noise $2000,00

It looks all the world like English, but I can't quite make out exactly what he's selling. Is he selling it for "over $3600" (whatever that means) or for $2000? Baffling.

Kent A Bathurst
10-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Methinks he is actually selling 2 of them critters. He got into the mechanical details, but forgot the quantity info.

Also - punctuation is not his strong suit - there should be a period between "over" and "$3,600".

Bruce Page
10-14-2012, 12:40 PM
I see a lot of the “huh?” posts on our CL. The seller knows exactly what he’s talking about, everyone else has to guess at it. I love the picture puzzles too, you know, where they post a picture of a pile of random junk and you have to find the prize. Always good fun!

ray hampton
10-14-2012, 3:24 PM
methinkthat me agreewithKent
me think that me agree with Kent
writing this the correct way only took 3 extra spaces

Steve Meliza
10-15-2012, 1:02 PM
This looks like someone used to posting in the classifieds section of the newspaper and is used to paying by the word. He's yet to realize that there is no word limit and it is ok to make a separate listing for each vehicle. There's also probably a pinch of ignorance and laziness regarding effective communication.

David Weaver
10-15-2012, 2:14 PM
Darn..I thought for a second that I might get to see a single truck with more than one interior.

Ben Hatcher
10-15-2012, 2:36 PM
I've worked with a lot of people for whom english is their second+ language. This ad reads like so many emails I've tried to "translate" over the years. I try to be appreciative that they get their intentions closer to something I can understand than their native tongue, and be thankful that I was lucky enough to be born into an english speaking family.

Steven Green
10-15-2012, 4:02 PM
I showed this to my son in law who speaks that language fluently John. He got it all but the price that stumped you. He suggested the seller get better ventilation in his shop to cut down on the fumes.