PDA

View Full Version : General 130 Planer vs General International 330 ..

Rick Fisher
10-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Hey .. I have a 20" General International planer which is 5hp and has a Magnum Helical head.. I used to put wide panels through it, glued up panels, besides regular planing ..

I added a used SCM Wide belt with a 12hp motor .. Since then the planer has not seen a glued up panel.. Its just not needed.. The sander removes the minimum amount of material, doesn't leave snipe.. for furniture, I just sand .. I don't even plane lumber after the bandsaw anymore .. 3 passes on the sander and its ready for finish sanding .. So again .. the planer collects dust ..

On my last few projects, the only time I used the planer was to make boards parallel after face jointing.. Which brings me to this request for opinions.

I picked up a General Canadian 130 planer at an auction .. Its 3hp x PH3 .. and needs some love ..

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m455/jokerbird_photo/Courtenay-20120531-00562.jpg

I paid about $650 for it plus tax .. I believe it to be a much higher quality machine than my General 330HH, but its also much smaller .. It would take up way less space ..

So I had considered selling the GI 20" planer off and restoring the 130 plus putting a byrd cutterhead in it ..

Yet there is something telling me I am going backwards ? lol ..

Does this plan make sense ? It would be nice to have the floor space ..

mreza Salav
10-14-2012, 1:11 AM
I understand your 20" is off-shore made and this is Canadian, but do you think you'll be breaking that planer more often than this one? I expect both to service you well for a life time.
I'm guessing by the time you get this restored and change the head it won't be far from the price you'd get for your 20" planer on a used market.
So I think the main deciding factor is the real estate they occupy.

David Kumm
10-14-2012, 1:18 AM
It isn't a step back in quality. The byrd head in that machine should give a finish that almost won't need the sander. I would miss the width and power of a bigger planer though. Big heavy lumber won't go through the small planer nearly as well. I'd restore the 130, sell the GI and probably someday find as cool a large planer and replace the larger one. I've got a Delta DC 33 with a Byrd and an Oliver 299 ITCH so that is basically what I did. Dave

Rick Fisher
10-14-2012, 3:14 AM
I really like the idea of the small real estate commitment and the Canadian made part .. The 130 I picked up needs some parts, apparently they are expensive but available .. I plan on ordering them next week ..

I don't think I would break either planer but would put my money on the 130 surviving more abuse than the big 20" GI ..

I have a full 3 phase system in my shop, but ordered a Teco FM-50 for the Planer . The plan was to restore it for a buddy .. problem is he considers it too small and wants a big one like my GI .. Got me thinking ..

The Byrd head is about $1165.00 .. Need an on - off switch which can run the VFD ( which I will mount inside the planer cabinet .. An access door and a knob .. I figure with bearings and a can of paint, $1500 to restore it but it will be helical ..

Its funny .. This buddy of mine has a lunchbox Delta planer .. I told him I found this 14" General and bought it for $650.00 ..

He replied that he already has a 12" .. 14" isn't really much of an improvement .. He is a contractor who is getting back into woodworking.. He cant seem to grasp that a 14" General 130 Helical with a Baldor 3hp motor is more than a tiny bit better than a Delta lunch box .. :)

Thanks for the feedback ..

Rick Fisher
10-14-2012, 3:15 AM
Oops. . The model number on my GI planer is 300- not 330 .. 330 is the Canadian made version .. Mine is the one that looks exactly like the Grizzly, Powermatic, Jet, King and all the other taiwanese ones ..

scott spencer
10-14-2012, 7:01 AM
I'd be inclined to give that General the love it needs and see how it comes out. Then make a decision about upgrades and trades based on that....get two birds in hand before letting one go!