PDA

View Full Version : Inlay with crushed stone

Kent A Bathurst
10-13-2012, 5:11 PM
I am considering trying this - mainly to get a blue color. Crushed lapis, or azurite, or something. I guess I could dye some light wood as an alternative.

However - on the crushed stone: using either epoxy or CA, will there be potential problems with wood movement under the inlay? I have literally just started toying with the idea, and fooling around with designs - but think of a multi-petal flower, that is 4" - 4-1/2" across the grain, in the direction of the wood movement. HM table top, net 1" thick, if that matters.

On the topic of dyed wood............what similar problems might I see with wood movement?

Thanks. Never done nunna this here stuff before..............

Kurt Cady
10-13-2012, 10:46 PM
Stone might be murder on planes, sandpaper before finishing.

Blue powder and clear epoxy?

(welcome back from edge of world)

Stephen Cherry
10-13-2012, 10:51 PM
if you just want blue, how about transtint dye in zinser sealcoat?

Jerry Miner
10-13-2012, 11:41 PM
using either epoxy or CA, will there be potential problems with wood movement under the inlay?....
You should be able to safely use one of the epoxies made for boat builders (System Three, West,...)---they are designed to accommodate wood movement.

Kent A Bathurst
10-14-2012, 9:06 AM
Stone might be murder on planes, sandpaper before finishing.

Blue powder and clear epoxy?

(welcome back from edge of world)

Thanks, Kurt. I'd already tuned in on the "murder" part - grinding and polishing are the operative words, I'd think, which is straightforward enough - but how to do that without trashing the surrounding wood is something I haven't turned to yet. If I go this route, there would certainly be some tests/samples.

For argument's sake, fellas - assume I went with the crushed stone and CA as a binder. Is there a material I could use as a form/mold to make the inlay off-line, and then get the form to release from the glue somehow? That way, forming, grinding, polishing becomes straightforward, and all I'd have to do is to chisel/lam trimmer/router plane the relief for the inlay, which is also straightforward.

john bateman
10-14-2012, 1:52 PM
You might want to look into "Inlace" for that.
http://turtlefeathers.net/text/inlace/inlace-main.html