PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Box

Wes Newman
04-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Thouht I might share this small box I finished tonight. It's my first original piece. See my design thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18517) for the drawing.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18460&stc=1

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=18461&stc=1

P.S. Sorry about the crummy pics, I've got to get a new camera.

Chris Rosenberger
04-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Wes, that is a beautiful box!

John Scane
04-18-2005, 12:38 AM
Nice Box.....is it walnut and zebrawood ?

Mark Singer
04-18-2005, 12:58 AM
Wes,

Beautiful!!

Wes Newman
04-18-2005, 8:21 AM
All, Thanks for the kind words.

Nice Box.....is it walnut and zebrawood ?

John, You are correct. The splines are maple.

Jim Becker
04-18-2005, 8:34 AM
"Simple Box"? In form only....wonderful work, Wes. The contrasts really set things off!

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 9:29 AM
Wow that really looks great! What is it's intended purpose?

Wes Newman
04-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Wow that really looks great! What is it's intended purpose?
Jeff, I really don't have any intended purpose. Got any suggestions? The box is 8"x5"x5". My wife suggested a coffee table catch all box, for fingernail clippers and such, but we have two sets of small prying hands, so that idea is out.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 10:51 AM
I really don't have any suggestions either. It would look great on a desk as a catch-all.

Mainly I was wondering if you built it with a purpose in mind or if you just let the wood do it's thing. (I like to do the later :)

David Fried
04-18-2005, 5:54 PM
Very nice. I really like the top and the way the keys stand out.
I'm sure you'll find just the right spot and use for it.

Michael Pfau
04-18-2005, 7:15 PM
Very Nice..

Barry Londrigan
04-18-2005, 7:25 PM
That is really great! And you say that is your first original piece? I hope my first anything looks half that good when I get my shop together! Great job!

Jules Dominguez
04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Wes, beautiful box. Wish I had the talent to build something like that.

A suggestion about your pictures - if you're already camera-literate, you won't need to read this, and please forgive my presumption...
Automatic exposure cameras tend to under-expose dark-colored objects when they're photographed against a light background. The camera's light meter senses the preponderant amount of light reflected from the light-colored background, and sets the aperture opening and shutter speed to let less light through to the film in order to get a "correct" average exposure, and thus the dark object is under-exposed. Digital cameras work the same way as film cameras in this regard. One solution is to use a darker background, and others are to manually over-ride the exposure settings, or set the automatic exposure on the dark object, if the camera has provisions to do so.

Wes Newman
04-19-2005, 8:57 AM
Wes, beautiful box. Wish I had the talent to build something like that.

A suggestion about your pictures - if you're already camera-literate, you won't need to read this, and please forgive my presumption...
Automatic exposure cameras tend to under-expose dark-colored objects when they're photographed against a light background. The camera's light meter senses the preponderant amount of light reflected from the light-colored background, and sets the aperture opening and shutter speed to let less light through to the film in order to get a "correct" average exposure, and thus the dark object is under-exposed. Digital cameras work the same way as film cameras in this regard. One solution is to use a darker background, and others are to manually over-ride the exposure settings, or set the automatic exposure on the dark object, if the camera has provisions to do so.

Jules, I can use any tips you can give. My camera is an elcheapo kodak 3MP my wife picked up from a department store. It does have a night setting, but I don't know if that would help me here. I really do want a better camera, but can't really justify it right now, this one still works for taking pics in most situations.