PDA

View Full Version : Movers and Handtools?

Tony Wilkins
10-13-2012, 2:22 PM
Health has taken a turn for the worse lately and haven't been able to get to the basement at all to work. That's the bad news.
The good news is that I'm moving to a Warrior Transition Unit and will be in a handicap accessible house.
So here's the question: When the movers come to pack us up, is there anything I should do to protect my tools for the move? Anything I should watch for?
TIA,
Tony

Matthew N. Masail
10-13-2012, 3:37 PM
Watch out for the moves. I packed my tools in bubble rap lightly oiled and took them with me in the car.

I'm sorry to hear about your health, hope the new place turns out to be great.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2012, 4:07 PM
You did not specify which types of tools that you have. Anything big that must be taken apart? Will they move wood as well?

Depending on the time in transit, location, etc.... I would attempt to oil the tools that might rust and try to package things that can't be knocked against each other (depending on how good you expect the movers to be).

Some tools like to be secured in a certain way before they are packed for shipping. I am thinking about things like motors that might be hanging in a certain way (like my ridgid table saw that I no longer own).

You did not indicate a location, but if you are near Columbus Ohio, I could probably help you with that if needed ;)

Tony Wilkins
10-13-2012, 4:24 PM
I'm thinking mostly of my old Disston saws and my Old Street Tool hand planes.

Adam Neat
10-13-2012, 4:56 PM
Honestly; stuff like that I would either have everything wrapped and boxed up so they could move it, or just load it up and move that stuff myself.

Like Andrew mentioned, Im sure (If needed) you could get someone local who would give you a hand on the important stuff .....like tools......

george wilson
10-13-2012, 6:32 PM
The movers just plop heavy boxes onto each other. They damaged some of my stuff and stole my pocket knife collection. DON'T mark any of the boxes with tempting words like "knives" like I did.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2012, 9:19 PM
I'm thinking mostly of my old Disston saws and my Old Street Tool hand planes.
Use a blade guard if you have one. You can even make one by cutting a slot with the saw into a thin piece of wood.

If you look at your hand planes, just imagine how they might bounce around and consider prepacking them if possible.

James Owen
10-13-2012, 9:21 PM
If you can, I would take the really valuable stuff, like the Old Street hand planes, anything that has great sentimental value, and anything that can't be replaced -- tools that were passed to you from your grandfather, etc. -- with you; that way the movers don't have an opportunity to enrich themselves at your expense.

Pack as much as you can yourself...that way, you know that it has been wrapped and protected properly. As George said....don't label anything with a tempting description -- unfortunately, it's an invitation to theft.....

If possible, insure your possessions for the move through your renter's or homeowner's insurance...it may cost you a couple of bucks, but the peace of mind is worth it, especially if anything gets damaged or stolen.... I am guessing that you are (ex-) military; if so, then you are eligible for insurance with USAA (if you're not already a member); they will insure your stuff during a move, and for a very reasonable cost. Thanks for your service!

I hope that your health improves soon, so you can get back to making shavings and living life to its fullest!

Good luck with your move!

Gary Herrmann
10-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I'd be reluctant to have anyone else move my good hand tools.

Mike Gillispie
10-14-2012, 2:51 AM
I'd have the movers bring up the tools to pack in front of you. The will cooperate. Many of these guys are subcontracted (allied is not, rebel is) and will bend over backwards to stay in good with transportation. If you get any grief, stop the process and call transportation. I generally give a tip if they do a decent job---I've gotten the same movers more the once on a pcs in and out and I believe this buys me a little less grief.

Brian Ashton
10-14-2012, 3:59 AM
Get insurance. I could throw a mover farther than I'd trust one.

Jim Neeley
10-14-2012, 4:15 AM
Also, take your phone or other digital camera and take a buttload of pictures of them... and check with your homeowners/renters insurance folks to see if you can get replacement cost insurance for the tools. I learned I was able to tag on my renters insurance when I had I recently moved. One hundred in premiums got six months insurance. If nothing else you could cancel after 1 month and only be out $15-20.

Mike Gillispie
10-14-2012, 9:05 AM
Don't forget that you have 90 days to make a claim through Transportation.

Get well

/r

Mi,e

Chuck Tringo
10-14-2012, 9:24 AM
My last PCS they "lost" 2 flat screen tvs and a box from the garage with 4 or 5 of my LN/Veritas planes as well as other stuff that I don't remember because they don't inventory garage items that well (box labeled tools). I did get some back in a claim but only about 50% of value, I didn't feel like going through legal so I took it. Next move I will do what I did 2 moves ago, pack up the planes and saws and bring them with me.

Bob Jones
10-14-2012, 10:56 PM
I hope I don't have to move for many years !! I hope your move goes well.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
10-15-2012, 1:07 PM
Outside of the honesty of the movers, with saws I'd be careful about keeping the plates intact. Someone steps on a box, or something slides against them, and it doesn't take much to kink a plate pretty badly. (or knock off the horns of the saw)

Mark's tips for packing saws for shipping over at Bad Axe toolworks might be helpful.

I'd be tempted to build a portable saw till type thing - just some sort of a nailed-together wooden crate, with kerfs like you see in the bottom of a tool chest to hold the saw blades inside. Fill the space in between with newsprint or something just to be on the safe side, and nail on a top. Could just be thrown together out of OSB or made from a repurposed crate or something.

Bill McDermott
10-15-2012, 3:45 PM
Tony, I used a couple of these Stanley 37" Mobile Job Boxes. Pack and lock. This is not an Anarchist's tool box but it's pretty close. You can get them at the big boxes today for a reasonable price (about $70). My shop move went well and now I have a couple useful storage boxes. Also, these things are surprisingly mobile. Bill
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/ee/eef5ad13-66f8-47e8-b887-4985ffeaf335_300.jpg (http://javascript<strong></strong>:openFeatureFlex('http://cache.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopX.html?bg=D6D7A5&nm=BZOpener&err=0&title=Demo&pf=t&fr=t&iid=jmIkUFkQcffdQVeUajbacdkfffaijkQgQji&purl=sys_homedepot_uid_202300294&uid=202300294&cf=3000','','768','705',true,false,false,false,fal se,false);)