PDA

View Full Version : Combination Machine Question

Steven Green
10-13-2012, 11:17 AM
A friend of mine called just a few minutes ago to ask a woodworking question. He's covering a large room with random width cherry board and batten style. He tried to straight line rip the lumber and then sanded it but didn't run it through a planer at all. Obviously he's having a lot of trouble. I suggested the old tried and true joint one side and then run the stock through a planer.
Have any of you guys used one of the 12" combination machines from Jet, Rikon or Grizzly? Seems to me that would solve his problem with one machine and get him back to construction quickly.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, a sliding tablesaw will easily make two parallel sides. My experience is not with one of the machines you asked about though.

Rod Sheridan
10-13-2012, 1:36 PM
Hi, I have a Hammer A3-31 J/P and it would be great for that sort of a job.

As Steve mentioned, if all you want to do is make the edges straight and parallel, you can do that with a slideing table saw or a straight line jig on a conventional saw......Rod.

John Coloccia
10-13-2012, 2:08 PM
So the trouble he's having is different thicknesses, but the straight line ripped edges are OK, right? If that's the case, even just a lunchbox planer will get him going. You won't end up with dead straight boards, but you will end up with boards that are all the same thickness. If the boards are reasonably straight now, and they must be or he wouldn't be trying to use them, you could probably just pass them through a planer and be done without a jointer. Definitely pass them through alternating sides if you can. If you take too much off one side, and it's not perfectly dry the whole way through, you may get some unpredictable (and sometimes humorous if it's not YOUR job) warping. You could even just take it to the local mill and have them thickness it for a small fee.

Kelby Van Patten
10-13-2012, 4:10 PM
what problem is he having? boards aren't flat?

I used to have a Robland X31 combination machine, which had a 12" jointer/planer combo on it. It is nice ot have the functionality. It is a bit of a pain in the neck to switch between jointer and planer, and separate machines are definitely nicer. But if you don't have the space, or don't have the funds for a 12" jointer, it does the job nicely. I don't have experience with the specific brands you mention.

David Kumm
10-13-2012, 4:15 PM
For a room you might consider jointing and renting time with a Wide belt. A planer will leave enough marks that the boards will still need sanding unless the finish is rustic. A pass or two under a belt would be fast and pretty cheap. Dave