PDA

View Full Version : Nova Viking Swords

Phil Thien
10-12-2012, 9:42 PM
The episode of Nova that ran this week (I think it was a new episode) detailed the making of a Viking sword. It was an interesting show that detailed the making of the steel through the polishing/grinding of the sword.

I thought you Luddites might enjoy it.

More information here:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-viking-sword.html

Jerry Thompson
10-12-2012, 9:54 PM
We first watched about the Siberian Tiger then the Sword DOC. Two of the best episodes about anything I recall ever seeing.

Peter Pedisich
10-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Amazing, thanks!
The do still make good TV programs.

phil harold
10-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Saw those too...
there is one on making samurai swords too
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/secrets-samurai-sword.html

Jack Curtis
10-13-2012, 1:38 AM
That Siberian Tiger Nature show was great, and the Viking Sword Nova was pretty interesting but a little slow, loved the Japanese forging show from a few years ago. But the followup, Nova ScienceNow with Pogue was almost embarrassing I thought, kind of the elementary school version of evolution. Reminded me of the National Geo shows/rag in that if I know anything at all about their topic I know more than they're going to show/write. Much higher production values, but far inferior to Alan Alda's ScienceNow shows which always had topics on the edge of science.

Bruce Page
10-13-2012, 1:58 AM
I saw it last night. An unbleivble amount of work went into the swords!

Erik Manchester
10-13-2012, 8:08 AM
Interesting link but when I attempt to view it, it says it is unavailable. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada.

Kent A Bathurst
10-13-2012, 8:27 AM
Interesting link but when I attempt to view it, it says it is unavailable. I wonder if this is because I am in Canada.

Probably retribution for burning the White House.

Chris Griggs
10-13-2012, 9:55 AM
I just watched both of those. The metallurgy and smithing was really informative for me. Brought to light and helped me to better understand a lot of what I've read George and other tool makers talk about on this forum. Especially in terms of the hardening, quenching, and tempering of the steel. Thanks for sharing those links guys. Watching them was a nice way to spend a lazy Saturday morning.

Ryan Baker
10-13-2012, 9:45 PM
I just watched both of those shows too. Great programs. Thanks for posting them.

Michael Fross
10-14-2012, 6:16 PM
I appreciate your post. I watched it this morning. Fantastic.

Ethan Liou
10-14-2012, 11:29 PM

I live in Taiwan. I can watch the episode of samurai sword, but not viking sword. (Not sure if they know I am an Asian.)

Jack Curtis
10-15-2012, 9:59 AM
I live in Taiwan. I can watch the episode of samurai sword, but not viking sword. (Not sure if they know I am an Asian.)

Might give the internet a try, whether with a computer or smart tv or....

BTW, I rewatched it this morning, much better than I thought first time through. My bad.