PDA

View Full Version : First and Second Christmas Tree Ornaments

BILL DONAHUE
10-12-2012, 8:08 PM
After my typical summer layoff due to the compulsion to go fishing, got back to the lathe last weekend. It's always best to start with small things because I have a tendency to forget and definitely lose what touch I had. My local club, The Artistic Woodturners of Northwest Florida, has a monthly challenge to do ornaments. Here are two Christmas tree ornaments using sea urchin shells both using silver rub n' buff and one with red analine dye. Tried using gold rub n' buff but it is not opaque and has a very dull color. The silver though looks like metal has a nice shine and will stand out well against a Christmas tree. The all silver one is 6 1/2" and the red one with two shells is 8".

Steve Mawson
10-12-2012, 8:17 PM
Pretty unique with the two shells. Color looks good as well.

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2012, 10:12 PM
I like'em Bill especially the second one. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2012, 10:47 AM
WOW! That's a whole new class of ornaments! Love the shells, texture and the coloring! Cool idea!

Johnny Taylor
10-13-2012, 12:27 PM
They are really cool Bill, the red and silver one(No. 2) is particularly stunning!

Jeff Welch
10-13-2012, 4:57 PM
AWESOME! Where do you get the sea urchin shells?

LOL, Well, I see you live in Florida, so probably any road side stand!

Is there a place for the rest of us to order them?

Jeff

Dick Gerard
10-13-2012, 5:28 PM
Excellent work! Fortunately for me, someone else announced they would do urchin ornaments. left me free to play play play!

BILL DONAHUE
10-14-2012, 11:53 PM
AWESOME! Where do you get the sea urchin shells?

LOL, Well, I see you live in Florida, so probably any road side stand!

Is there a place for the rest of us to order them

Jeff
Jeff, You can order them through any of the woodturning catalogs at about $5.45 each. However, a Google search will give you some sea shell retailers that sell six of them for about $12. Don't know ifthe quality is the same. Bill D.