PDA

View Full Version : Favorite finish

Donny Lawson
10-12-2012, 6:46 PM
I was wondering what your favorite finish for bowls or other items? I've been using wipe on poly and it does a great job. I've been thinking about mineral oil for a more food safe finish., or maybe a salad bowl finish. What's your opinion and what do you use?

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I use Mahoney's or Drs. Workshop walnut oil on all my utility items. Don't care for mineral oil as it never dries and salad bowl finish will gum up after 2 or 3 years. I have plates and salad bowls that are used several times a week with walnut oil on them and they still are doing well.

Thomas Canfield
10-12-2012, 10:53 PM
A couple of coats of Mahoney's Walnut oil or Grapeseed Oil soak and wipe off for utility bowls. I like to use a combination of buffing with Tripoli after 400 grit sanding and then applying multiple coats of a oil/polyurethane varnish mix soaked on and wiped off with buffing with Tripoli between coats and after final coat and then Renaissance Wax for the deep luster look. The mix is like 4 parts of Danish Oil and 1part polyurethane varnish. The mix can be made with 4 parts BLO, 4 parts Mineral Spirit, and 5 parts of polyurethane varnish (not satin) which is just a souped up danish oil mix.

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2012, 10:44 AM
I used to use mineral oil and like Bernie says... it never dries. Changed over to Mahoney's Walnut Oil and like it much better!

Reed Gray
10-13-2012, 11:59 AM
I use mostly the Doctor's Woodshop oils. I did switch to his oils, not because his is better than Mike's oil, but because he is an Oregon boy. I do tend to spend locally when possible.

robo hippy

Wally Wenzel
10-13-2012, 12:40 PM
walnut oil;
Can someone give the web address for Dr. work shop and also for Mahoneys, I can't seem to comr up with either site. This computer and myself do not work very well together,
Thank you much Wally

Reed Gray
10-13-2012, 1:51 PM
You can buy Mike's oil directly from him through his web site, also carried at Woodcraft (at least our local one) and Craft Supplies, and maybe a few other places.

http://www.doctorswoodshop.com/ (http://www.doctorswoodshop.com/)

The Doc's stuff is available through him, and some of our local stores carry it. I don't know if it is available out side of that.

robo hippy

Wally Wenzel
10-13-2012, 2:57 PM
Reed, Thanks for the help
Wally