PDA

View Full Version : Free turning stock in Rochester, NY.

Tom Pritchard
04-17-2005, 9:23 PM
Hello all! Today I did some cutting and trimming in my yard, and I have some wood that I think would be good for someone with a lathe to turn into something beautiful. The wood I have is mostly from a black mulberry tree, 3 pieces from a mountain ash (limbs were dead), and 1 from a Kwanzan (ornamental) cherry. They range in diameter from 3 1/2" to 13", and various lengths. If anyone was interested in coming and getting them, send me a PM and we can arrange a time. I will also seal the ends with some Anchorseal if I know someone is interested. I can cut them to any length when you pick them up. I have seen some beautiful work displayed here in this forum, hopefully these can go to good use.

Michael Pfau
04-18-2005, 7:22 PM
Tom, I would take the whole thing off your hands....buttt...I am alongggg ways from your back yard! Good luck in getting rid of it!

Tom Pritchard
04-18-2005, 8:46 PM
Tom, I would take the whole thing off your hands....buttt...I am alongggg ways from your back yard! Good luck in getting rid of it!

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply! I guess you are a little poke from here ;) ! I would love to see Montana someday, it is such a beautiful state.

I think the Mulberry wood would make a great bowl or dish. The heartwood is an interesting yellow/gold color, and the sapwood is a creamy white. So far, I haven't had any takers. Oh well, it looks like a trip to the curb...

Keith Nielsen
04-19-2005, 11:49 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the offer but Utah is also a long way away from you. The smooth bark cherry or Kwanzan as you call it is accually dangerous to wood turners. There is something about the fibers in it. They don't lock together, You can turn it and everything will seem fine but thats when it likes to come apart and through its self at you. I learned this from some old time wood turners in my wood turning club. The Mulberry on the other hand is Great. I wish I could get some they just don't grow it in the desert.

Good luck with it.
Keith

Tom Pritchard
04-23-2005, 10:17 PM
I had no takers, so the wood is headed to the curb for town pickup. :(