PDA

View Full Version : HVLP systems -Which one?

Larry Harman
10-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I'm trying to decide between 3 hvlp systems:

Earlex 3500 @ $129.00

Earlex 5500 @ $339.00

Rockler system @ $119.99

I am a hobbyist and will spray 1 or 2 larger pieces a year ( the size of a babybed or blanket chest being the largest) and about 25 small "craft" pieces every Christmas.

Would appreciate any positive or negative experiences you all might have regarding the above, or even other suggestions. (I just can't justify the really nice (but expensive systems like Fuji, etc right now.)

Thanks,

Larry

Scott Holmes
10-12-2012, 2:06 PM
What finishes do you plan to spray?

Larry Harman
10-12-2012, 2:12 PM
Sorry about that...should have thought that would be important. Dye stains, Shellac, Varnish, and an occasional urethane or poly product. Rarely if ever will Ibe using paints. and probably not laquer because of safety issues where I can do this. Thanks/ Larry

Scott Holmes
10-12-2012, 8:08 PM
FYI: poly and urethane ARE varnish. Shellac an dye are no problem with any of the systems you listed.

Varnish can be sprayed but the overspray is a real prblem... The overspray "cloud" gets on everything in the room and then dries to a crusty mess...

Varnish is VERY slow drying and that's what causes the problem. Shellac dries so quickly that the overspray "cloud" lands on surrounding items as a dry dust. Ditto for lacquer; you are correct, it's more hazardous. Varnish isn't as explosive; but it's still not a nice "cloud" either.

Wear a resporator whenever you are spraying.

Curt Harms
10-13-2012, 7:37 AM
How about using 'water-based' finishes? A respirator is still a good idea but they're not combusible and seem to dry faster. The newer products from Target & General Finishes seem to get pretty good reviews. I have the Earlex 5000 and it does what I expect, even works well with slightly thinned 'latex'. I'm not a pro like Scott so may have lower expectations. One thing if you're not aware of it -- HVLP systems are blowing air all the time, even when the trigger is not pulled. If there's dust around your finishing area, you'll know it.:o

David Hawxhurst
10-13-2012, 9:54 AM
HVLP systems are blowing air all the time, even when the trigger is not pulled. If there's dust around your finishing area, you'll know it.:o

not true. there are two types of systems (guns) bleeder and non bleeder. earlex uses bleeder type guns (continuous are flow). others (apollo, fuji, etc.) have non bleeder type guns. some guns can be change from bleeder to non bleeder and vice versa. comes down to personal preference (often time what you learned on).

Curt Harms
10-14-2012, 8:28 AM
not true. there are two types of systems (guns) bleeder and non bleeder. earlex uses bleeder type guns (continuous are flow). others (apollo, fuji, etc.) have non bleeder type guns. some guns can be change from bleeder to non bleeder and vice versa. comes down to personal preference (often time what you learned on). Correct. I should have specified Earlex. How do the non-bleeders work? Do they divert the air or close it off? If they close it off, is there a risk of the blower overheating? I've never used one obviously.

David Hawxhurst
10-14-2012, 8:49 AM
non bleeders just block the air flow thru the gun. you can hear the tone in the blower change a little when you change states form spraying to no air flow. the manufacture selects the blower they want to spec out and what type of gun bleeder/non bleeder. most none bleeder type systems have a relief valve so when your not spraying/pass air thru the gun it doesn't damage the blower. my current gun is a non bleeder and has a two stage trigger the first stage allows air to pass thru and the second adds the product being sprayed.

Mark W Pugh
10-14-2012, 9:47 PM
not true. there are two types of systems (guns) bleeder and non bleeder. earlex uses bleeder type guns (continuous are flow). others (apollo, fuji, etc.) have non bleeder type guns. some guns can be change from bleeder to non bleeder and vice versa. comes down to personal preference (often time what you learned on).

I do not have one yet, but doesn't the compressor discharge air when running? I don't know the answer but just thought about it when this topic came up.

Curt Harms
10-15-2012, 7:38 AM
I do not have one yet, but doesn't the compressor discharge air when running? I don't know the answer but just thought about it when this topic came up.

The Earlex and some other HVLP don't use a compressor, they use a motor sort of like a shop vac with 2-4 'wheels' or turbine stages. I gather based on David's response above that non-bleeder guns simply block the airflow. My concern with that system is that shop vacs rely on airflow through the motor for cooling. Reduce the airflow and heat builds up in the motor. I guess Fuji, Apollo et. al. engineer their turbines accordingly.

David Hawxhurst
10-15-2012, 8:26 AM
turbines that are used with the non bleeder guns have a relief/bypass valve on the output side to prevent damaging the turbine.

Curt - they are 5 stage units out there as well.

Stan Smith
01-18-2013, 7:31 PM
How about using 'water-based' finishes? A respirator is still a good idea but they're not combusible and seem to dry faster. The newer products from Target & General Finishes seem to get pretty good reviews. I have the Earlex 5000 and it does what I expect, even works well with slightly thinned 'latex'. I'm not a pro like Scott so may have lower expectations. One thing if you're not aware of it -- HVLP systems are blowing air all the time, even when the trigger is not pulled. If there's dust around your finishing area, you'll know it.:o

Thanks for your post, Curt. I was trying to come up with a way to spray since we moved from where I had a separate shop. Now I'm just using part of the 3 car garage. No room for a spray booth so I've been using Deft spray cans even though I have a small compressor. I just ordered the Earlex 5500 and plan to use water based products since the oil based lacquer fumes are too toxic. I'm just getting back into woodworking after 5 years mostly off and the number of Youtubes on all this stuff is incredible!

I'm looking for a product to use right out of the can that doesn't require much thinning if any...probably poly? Any recommendations? Thanks!