PDA

View Full Version : minimum charge

Mark Bowman
10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
A question for all other sign/engraving shops. Do you have a minimum charge? We have a minimum order charge of $10.00, but lately I have been wondering if I should scrap it. I have been getting more complaints lately about it. For example, a customer of ours pays $8.50 for their name badges, but when they only order just one, we have been charging the $10.00. As always, I really appreciate any/all comments and advice!

Steve Busey
10-12-2012, 11:10 AM
I think for a buck and a half, I'd waive it for a repeat customer.

Mike Null
10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
I have a $25 minimum but it does not apply to regular customers. Some people are turned off by it but I'm a home based business and would just as soon not have retail type customers.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-12-2012, 12:19 PM
$30 unless it's a client that we've worked with in the past and have a good relationship with.

Michael Hunter
10-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Waiving the minimum charge for a good regular customer is a neat way of rewarding them without actually giving them a discount.
Don't advertise it - the "favour" is worth much more if the customer thinks that they are getting a special deal.

$10 is pretty low.
When a loon rings on a Sunday lunchtime wanting a leather wallet (bought elsewhere) engraved NOW, then my £35 (~$56) minimum charge cuts the conversation nice and quickly. (Like Mike Null, I don't want these one-at-a-time retail folk)

Rodne Gold
10-12-2012, 1:08 PM
I always quote a "repeat price" for regular clients who have ordered an initial large order , ie if they paid $1 each for 100 they will pay $5 for one if they order a replacement..most ppl understand that. I have a minimum charge of $10 regardless of what it is if its a non regular one off.
If you have had customers complain to you , there are probably a lot more who didn't complain or have not wanted to complain but feel begrudged by paying extra and even you feel it's impacting negatively on business , then I say scrap it.
It doesn't sound like a positive policy in your business.

Mark Bowman
10-12-2012, 1:11 PM
Thanks everyone! I really like the idea of having the minimum charge for one offs (like engraving a wallet), and rewarding the repeat customers.

Mark Sipes
10-12-2012, 1:12 PM
WHEN A CUSTOMER BRINGS IN A THING TO BE ENGRAVED... IT IS A $10 SETUP AND xx PER LETTER WITH A $20 MIN. IF IT IS A NAME TAG I HAVE MADE BEFORE (ON FILE) $7.50 WITH MAGNET BACKER TAKES 2 MINUTES TO DO A REPEAT.

Martin Boekers
10-12-2012, 1:35 PM
I charge a minimum of $10 also, except basic name tags. I also have a seperate minimum charge for customer
provided product for engraving. The way I look at it is, for $10 there shouldn't be an issue. If they have a problem with that
then they can take work elseware, as what kind of profit can you realistically make for 1 ups under $10? If they are
a regular customer I'll wave that as well as a rush fee.

Gary Hair
10-12-2012, 2:27 PM
I have a $35 minimum but will waive that for my regular customers and will occasionally reduce it if it's truly something I can do in a minute or two. Like Mike, I'm not much into retail but will do it if the job isn't a pita.

Gary

Scott Shepherd
10-12-2012, 2:42 PM
We've just started to head that direction. It was a couple of customers that pushed us over the edge on it. Sure, it's only 1 name tag for $8, but it's the 20 minutes you stood in the shop and asked questions, then the paper work to bill the $8.00, the phone call to get them back here to get it, then the 15 minutes for them to pay us and talk about how nice the name tag looks and how they'll send all their friends.

So in the end, it's 1 hour gone, never to be gotten back, all for $8.00. We're heading in the $45 minimum area.

Walt Langhans
10-12-2012, 3:45 PM
Take this for what it's worth.

I've been is sales, in one form or another, most of my life. People who want to nickle and dime you, will NEVER be happy with the work you do or the price you charge, walk away from them. Rewarding loyal customers will come back to you exponentially. Charge your set up fee, if the balk tell them to walk, if they do business, waive it or reduce it the next time. Your stress will be less and your business will prosper.

Scott Shepherd
10-12-2012, 3:54 PM
Take this for what it's worth.

I've been is sales, in one form or another, most of my life. People who want to nickle and dime you, will NEVER be happy with the work you do or the price you charge, walk away from them. Rewarding loyal customers will come back to you exponentially. Charge your set up fee, if the balk tell them to walk, if they do business, waive it or reduce it the next time. Your stress will be less and your business will prosper.

Amen to that. We have a "customer" that came in 2 weeks ago. So far, we've spent 4 hours with them. 4 hours. Wanted something that had a series of holes in it. Tiny holes. I said "How many rows?". Gave me a number, let's say 50. Finally ordered the job, a whopping order of $45. Came to pick it up, looked at it, told me the number of rows was wrong. Turns out their 50 is really 51, but I didn't know that, so I made 50.

I told them I'd throw them away and make news ones for them. I told them they could have the old ones that were bad. Had 2 calls and a voice mail after hours last night telling me the machine didn't cut the holes all the way through on some of them. It did cut through, but the leftover plastic stuck to the side, so you just needed to touch it and it would fall out.

So you're calling me to complain about something I gave you for FREE????????????? Really?

Joe Pelonio
10-12-2012, 8:39 PM
I do $35, with the time on the phone, e-mail or in person, just turning on the equipment has to be worth at least that much.
Generally that would be simple text on an object they brought in. I never had someone order just one name badge, but that would be pretty expensive. For a regular, such as one I have a job for tomorrow, that ordered 20-30 name badges, I am not going to charge the minimum for a repeat order of 2-3 for new employees since I consider it an addition to the first order even 2-3 years later. In those cases I give a price for the quantity order, and a somewhat higher price for future additions, subject to increases as costs of materials go up.