PDA

View Full Version : Almost ¡!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rian de Bruyn
10-12-2012, 5:22 AM

a TS is not a toy

Jim Neeley
10-12-2012, 6:05 AM
Wow, Rian...

While I'm sorry to heat you got cut, you're right, it could have been *so* much worse!!

Keith Weber
10-12-2012, 6:44 AM
Kickback? Or did you forget where your fingers were? Glad to see it's just a surface wound.

Keith

ray hampton
10-12-2012, 7:59 AM
how did you manage to only cut one finger tip

Charlie Jones
10-12-2012, 9:50 AM
Wow. That was close. I am glad you are going to keep those fingers. Please give us the details.

mreza Salav
10-12-2012, 9:36 PM
I am glad you still have your fingers; it could have been a lot worse. I hope you heal soon.
If you feel you like, share some details what happened so that others might take a lesson.

Chris Parks
10-13-2012, 3:37 AM
Ouch, I bet that got the heart thumping. You are a very lucky man, very few get that close without a major injury and the trauma that goes with it.

Rick Fisher
10-13-2012, 9:22 PM
Wow.. I bet that smarts .. finger tips .. I had a similar close call .. Nicked the side of a finger .. It really makes you go back to the basics on safety ..

Randy Gillard
10-13-2012, 9:25 PM
Still no details. Not much help if no one knows how it happened. I am in the middle of a SawStop purchase decision, and hearing how accidents happen or are avoided are useful to me and no doubt many others. What's the story?

Andrew Pitonyak
10-13-2012, 9:32 PM
Wow, scary! glad it was not any worse.

Did you even feel it when it happened?

Gary Chester
10-13-2012, 9:50 PM
I had the same injury a few years ago..... VERY scary.

I was cutting one of the last pieces for a shed I built.

That shed now has a name, and that name is on a sign mounted on the front of it...

It is called the "Bloodshed".

I walk past that shed every time I go out to the shop.

Rian de Bruyn
10-14-2012, 3:42 AM
I really do not know that happened !!!!!!
I was cutting same cherry and my hand must have slipped and i my hand went in to the blade !!
I set the blad only 1/8 above the wood and that saved my finger

BOB OLINGER
10-14-2012, 8:14 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for sharing. I had a similar accident about 2 yrs. ago, after doing woodworking for 40+ years. IMO, you can attempt to be as careful as possible, but accidents are called accidents for a reason. I, too, was fortunate, just sliced into my left thumb. I did sever some nerves and have some loss of feeling, but I have a functional thumb. As a result, I purchased the Sawstop. For anyone considering one, I highly recommend. Others may have some other feature advantages, but none have the safety advantage, so decision for me was easy.

Prashun Patel
10-14-2012, 8:18 AM
Rian, cld u Please elaborate.

Carroll Courtney
10-14-2012, 9:53 AM
It is said that the most dangerous thing is a dull blade.Is this what happen,congrads on dodging a bullet----Carroll

Randy Gillard
10-14-2012, 10:24 AM
I really do not know that happened !!!!!!
I was cutting same cherry and my hand must have slipped and i my hand went in to the blade !!
I set the blad only 1/8 above the wood and that saved my finger

Thanks for sharing, and glad things didn't turn out that bad.
Were you using a push stick?
Was the blade sharp or dull?
How wide was the board?
Could a guard have been used or was the cut too narrow?

Bill White
10-14-2012, 10:37 AM
WAAAAAAAAA!
Too early to see that. I'm gonna go watch tv.
You dodged that bullet old boy.
Bill

Rian de Bruyn
10-14-2012, 3:00 PM
No puch stick but made 1 over the weekend
It is a very sharp blade !!!!
The board was 6" wide
I do'nt have a guard for my TS but orded 1 last week

Rob Holcomb
10-15-2012, 6:25 AM
I had a similar incident three years ago. Index finger on my left hand. I reached to pull away a cutoff piece while making several rips of the same width and got bit. Lost the feeling at the very tip of my finger as a result and it took about 6 months to heal and grow my fingernail back. Now I can't pick up small objects like pins, toothpicks etc. with my thumb and index finger but as least I have my finger and cosmetically, no one would notice. My injury was from my own lack of focus, going too fast and being worried about scraps finding their way back into the blade on the next cut creating a kickback issue.

Richard Wagner
10-15-2012, 8:30 AM
I think we all know well what happened. It is obvious that your finger was not where it should have been and it is obvious that you did not intend for it to be where it was. The only question is why. The answer is probably because, for some reason, you were not paying close attention to what you were doing at the time.

Just be very thankful that it is not a major injury. Believe me, I can attest that you do not want that to happen. I still have all ten digits but one of them is not full function. In fact, you might be that way yourself. It appears that you lost enough soft tissue to render the finger tip without feel (always sorta numb). If so, accept it as a suddle reminder.

dan grant
10-15-2012, 9:24 PM
well i would say your a lucky person