PDA

View Full Version : wiring a Motor for 240V dryer outlet

Scott Donley
04-17-2005, 7:36 PM
Hi. want to upgrade to a cab saw, 240 volt. only outlet I have is a 240 3 prong dryer outlet on a 30 amp breaker, will it work? 3 hp,currently run a 240 heater off of it but can't use heater and dryer at the same time, not a problem, keeping warm or doing laundry, easy choice!
Thanks , Scott

Mark Duksta
04-17-2005, 9:10 PM
Scott,

That's how I run mine. I have a 3HP Grizzly running on a 30 amp dryer outlet.

Mark

Richard Wolf
04-17-2005, 9:10 PM
The short answer is yes.

Richard

Cecil Arnold
04-17-2005, 11:19 PM
A slightly longer answer is yes, and most 220 v. saws do not come with plugs attached so all you nave to do is buy a plug to fir the socket and wire it up. 2 hots and a ground.

Charlie Woods
04-18-2005, 1:09 AM
I run my Jet cabinet saw off of the dryer circuit, though my wife gets a little miffed, when I unplug the dryer and it still has wet clothes in it. Atleast I remember to plug it back in when I'm done.

Scott Donley
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. Would hate to get it home and not be able to use it! I found a 1980 unisaw for 400 bucks, nothing great, but it looks like it has never been used and the guy that owns it lives right down the street. Thanks again, Scott

Paul Glanville
06-02-2005, 8:47 AM
Hi. I cannot figure out how to find the messages I post on this place. Sometimes I can find them and sometimes I can't.

Anyway here was something I asked yesterday somewhere...

I have 3 hp cyclone vac system and am currently using 15 feet of 10 guage wire to run to outlet to it. I am getting Sawstop 5 hp saw next week and it also uses 220 volt (my current saw is 110). Can I run both at same time? The drier breaker is 30 amp. The stove is 60 amp. I suppose I could tap the stove circuit for the saw, but that would be more work and I would rather not.

If someone replies, please let me know how to find the original post and reply. Thanks,

Paul

Paul Glanville
06-02-2005, 8:49 AM
I am going to put this up just to see if I can find it. Also I think there is something at the bottom of this to request an email when someone replies?

Paul:confused:

Tim Morton
06-02-2005, 9:34 AM
Hi. I cannot figure out how to find the messages I post on this place. Sometimes I can find them and sometimes I can't.

Anyway here was something I asked yesterday somewhere...

I have 3 hp cyclone vac system and am currently using 15 feet of 10 guage wire to run to outlet to it. I am getting Sawstop 5 hp saw next week and it also uses 220 volt (my current saw is 110). Can I run both at same time? The drier breaker is 30 amp. The stove is 60 amp. I suppose I could tap the stove circuit for the saw, but that would be more work and I would rather not.

If someone replies, please let me know how to find the original post and reply. Thanks,

Paul

Next to your name is a little button that if you click on it will drop down to a line that says "show all posts by this user"...there is all a line that says " view public profile", and this is where you can find all the topics you start. To start a topic (which is what you want to do, as opposed to walking tinothe middle of someone elese conversation) you click on the button towards the top of the page that says "new topic". In the mean time here is a link to your threads...and BTW welcome to the creek...its full of great people and great info.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=346684
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=346684

Frank Hagan
06-02-2005, 10:33 AM

There's an old rule of thumb that you shouldn't exceed 80% of the rated capacity of the circuit, which means 24AMPs on a 30 AMP circuit. I haven't been able to find that anywhere in the National Electrical Code, so I'm not sure where it comes from (one of my buddies swears its 90%, which would be 27 AMPS on a 30 AMP circuit).

So, add up the AMP rating of each motor to see if the 30 amp circuit is large enough. I *THINK* a 5HP 230VAC single phase motor probably has a label with 22 amps listed (I was surprised that the Sawstop website doesn't list the amp draw of each of the motors!) Check the 3HP; I suspect it is more than the 2 - 5 AMPS left over.

If you were running only one at a time it wouldn't be a problem. But with both on you run the risk of overloading the circuit.

If you're close to the maximum, but past that "safety factor" of 10 - 20% I mention, it may still work. Turn the DC on, then the saw, and test the amperage. You may find that the actual AMP draw is less than the stated amps.

Chris Padilla
06-02-2005, 11:25 AM
Scott,

As others have already said, your 240 V outlet used for the dryer will work just fine. The reason the dryer has a neutral (white wire) is because of the light in the dryer...it runs off of 120 V. For your 240 V motor on the TS, you only need the black and red and the green/bare wire so don't worry about wiring up one of the prongs on the plug for the motor.

However, do remember to plug the dryer back in!! :D