PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Alternatives?

Joe Hillmann
10-11-2012, 3:47 PM
I have found the the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders for removing residue from items I engrave in the laser. The problem is they don't last long. The project I am working on right now probably uses up ten of them per day, so it starts to add up, but so far it is the only thing that effectively takes off the residue without damaging the part I engraved on. Can anyone suggest another solution?

Steve Clarkson
10-11-2012, 4:08 PM
What material are you engraving?

Joe Hillmann
10-11-2012, 4:13 PM
Powdercoated aluminum at the moment but I also use it quite a bit on rowmark as well.

Chris DeGerolamo
10-11-2012, 4:16 PM
have you tried a [pencil] eraser? or DNA? I also like simple green.

Duncan Crawford
10-11-2012, 4:23 PM
I have found the the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers work wonders for removing residue from items I engrave in the laser. The problem is they don't last long. The project I am working on right now probably uses up ten of them per day, so it starts to add up, but so far it is the only thing that effectively takes off the residue without damaging the part I engraved on. Can anyone suggest another solution?

Joe,

At one point the Epilog tech tips suggested the smooth Fast Orange for residue removal. Works for me on wood.

duncan

Wes Mitchell
10-11-2012, 4:23 PM
You can try IPI's LazrClean, it works pretty well on just about anything. Just spray it on and let it sit for a minute. You could still use the magic eraser, but probably wouldn't go through as many.

http://www.johnsonplastics.biz/detail/M37/1/1/LZCKIT3

Tucker Alford
10-12-2012, 9:16 AM
I use mineral spirits on just about everything. We cut down old shirts into small pieces, douse with Mineral Spirits in a small squirt bottle & wipe. Throw the rag out after a few cleanings. Cheap & works on everything.

Martin Boekers
10-12-2012, 11:00 AM
These usually last me quite a while, I try not to "bear" down when using them.
I also found the generic ones don't work as well. I would like to find them wholesale somewhere.

Mike Null
10-12-2012, 11:24 AM
I just use a cleaner diluted with water. Never any problem with powder coated stuff.

Bruce Dorworth
10-12-2012, 3:08 PM
If you have a Home Depot near you they sell a product called Krud Kutter. It really works!!! Works great on grease also..

Bruce

Doug Novic
10-21-2012, 9:34 AM
If you have a Home Depot near you they sell a product called Krud Kutter. It really works!!! Works great on grease also..

Bruce

I agree with Bruce. We use it on wood, acrylic, granite, everything and it is great. Nicely soaks off labels too. Non-toxic, environmentally friendly to boot.

Joe Pelonio
10-21-2012, 12:13 PM
You can buy a case of 24 (6 4-packs) at Uline for $39, $35 if you buy 5 cases or more. At about $1.63 each you can simply add a bit to each price quote to cover it. You can also get a Chinese version called Magic Sponge (don't know about the quality) at $0.26 each if you buy 400, with free shipping from China to U.S. Still cheaper too just use pencil erasers, though, and they last longer.

David Rust
10-21-2012, 10:15 PM
What do you guys use to clean the cutting grid? My Epilog aluminum hex grid is starting to get residue in places. Not exactly easy to clean inside each little hex hole. I have a 24x18 grid that I'll need to clean... probably in January when it is near 0 degrees and I'll have to do it inside.

Bruce Dorworth
10-21-2012, 11:14 PM
This question has been asked quite often, have you searched the forum..... Just kidding. See, now that took longer to type than it would to answer your question. I would go to Home Depot and get some Krud Kutter. Put your table in the shower. Spray it down and rinse it off.

Bruce

Dee Gallo
10-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I use Krud Cutter for my grid too and if there is something very stubborn inside a honeycomb hole, I use a rifle cleaning brush.

walter hofmann
10-22-2012, 5:30 AM
Hi all
I use oven cleaner spray just spray it on let its et a bit then whipe it of with a rag.
greetings
waltfl

Mike Null
10-22-2012, 8:52 AM
Walter

The oven cleaners I've seen have no place in an engraving shop. They are a strong caustic and may even be dangerous to use.

john passek
10-22-2012, 4:08 PM
After cleaning any metal plates or plaques I apply a small amount of liquid car wax, this makes it shine, stand out more and is easier to clean off finger prints.
My 2c