PDA

View Full Version : Getting Old?

Lee Koepke
10-11-2012, 12:43 PM
seems like I'm falling apart :D

I have some sort of ganglion (ish) cyst on one of my knuckles ... it went away for awhile then flared up two days ago with a vengeance!!! I have back-orders and a show to prepare for..........not a good time to be out of commission.

Thanks for the venue to vent :cool:

Dale Cruea
10-11-2012, 12:51 PM
I hear you Lee,
I am taking a antibiotic and it is making everything itch.
The doctor has tried several and they all have the same reaction.
I guess I will live with it for the next 3 weeks.

Retirement is great, getting old enough to retire is the pits.

BTW, venting is good.

Rich Riddle
10-11-2012, 7:11 PM
Lee,

How old are you? My dad tells me stories about getting old. He says it takes him a while to recuperate and warm up after his 500 mile motor cycle ride between Cincinnati and Kansas City. He also doesn't roller blade quite as fast as he did a few years ago. His slowing down started about 80. I suppose some of us are blessed with good health. It's best to rest and recuperate in my experience, but what you have can happen at any age.

Tom Fischer
10-11-2012, 7:45 PM
Just turned 60 here.
Docs say I am OK.
I read a local online paper.
Really an excuse to go to the obits.
Every week, folks there in their fifties.
Folks I know even younger.
Hope I have the faith to say thanks for it all when I need a massive parts R&R.,
Probably not easy.
Thanks for listening.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-11-2012, 8:52 PM
Lee,

I had ganglion cysts on both wrists at one time when I was in my late 20's. They eventually went away on their own.

Myk Rian
10-12-2012, 9:38 AM
A heavy book will cure the cysts.

David Helm
10-12-2012, 1:02 PM
A heavy book will cure the cysts.

You plan on smashing the cysts with the book? How about a hammer, much easier to swing and gets directly at the offending cyst!

Lee Koepke
10-12-2012, 2:14 PM
its not a ganglion, similar though. They gave me a cortisone shot right in the knuckle. That was 'exciting' !!! I am a little over 46 right now. I should be able to get back in the shop this weekend and do some light duty stuff.

There are other people worse off than me, I just have to work through it!!!!

Jim Koepke
10-12-2012, 3:01 PM
There are other people worse off than me, I just have to work through it!!!!

Hope your situation improves.

I do not think I am worse off and tend to work through pain.

When I was about 8, I had a fall at a storm drain out fall in a creek near our home. There was a broken bottle in the muck. It opened up a big cut near my right thumb. Not only did it require 7 stitches, it had to be opened a few years later to have some glass removed. There is still some sand in the wound that bothers me on almost a daily basis.

To compound this, when I was in my early 20's I was hit by a truck while riding my bicycle. Then a few years later I took a nasty fall on my bicycle and tore up my right shoulder. Ibuprophen is one of my best friends. The carpal tunnel in my right arm doesn't bother me as much as some of the other pains.

All of these have caused me to adapt. Sometimes it is the grip, sometimes it is doing things left handed. I think having to do things left handed when I cut my right hand has actually helped me to be somewhat ambidextrous.

Somethings just don't "feel right" when being done left handed, but they get done.

An intense day of woodworking often has to be followed by an intense day of rest, or as my wife calls it… shopping.

jtk

Kevin Bourque
10-12-2012, 3:13 PM
I feel great!!!

GLOAT----GLOAT

Todd Burch
10-12-2012, 3:17 PM
Lee / Jim - are you guys related? An uncommon same last name.

My feet hurt every morning. When I was woodworking full time, standing on concrete 15/hours a day, they REALLY hurt, but only for the first 10-15 minutes or so. I then found a certain combination of shoe and insert that stopped the pain from happening.

I guess my biggest ailment is my weight. I need to lose 20 pounds. It's tough working from home, sitting next to the fridge and pantry, to not graze.

Tony De Masi
10-12-2012, 4:57 PM
"A heavy book will cure the cysts."

I believe the old wives tale is to hit the cyst with a Bible. I actually did this to a friend of mine about ten years ago and still no cyst.

Jim Koepke
10-12-2012, 5:58 PM
Lee / Jim - are you guys related? An uncommon same last name.

I think we discussed this and couldn't find family in common for at least a couple generations.

As uncommon as the name might be there have been a few occasions where I have run into people with the same name. The strangest being when handing my card to a woman she got a look I mistook for when people are trying to figure out the pronunciation. I said, it is Koepke like you kep a key. (note the a is silent)

She said, "Yes I know. My husband is Jim Koepke.

It must be a different one.

jtk

Lee Koepke
10-15-2012, 8:43 AM
I think we discussed this and couldn't find family in common for at least a couple generations.

As uncommon as the name might be there have been a few occasions where I have run into people with the same name. The strangest being when handing my card to a woman she got a look I mistook for when people are trying to figure out the pronunciation. I said, it is Koepke like you kep a key. (note the a is silent)

She said, "Yes I know. My husband is Jim Koepke.

It must be a different one.

jtk

other similarities ... my brother (also a Koepke) lives in Lonview TX ... small world! HaHa.

Jim Matthews
10-15-2012, 9:30 AM
An intense day of woodworking often has to be followed by an intense day of rest, or as my wife calls it… shopping.jtk

Woodworking is my form of rest. I can't imagine doing this for a living.
For me, it's the wear and tear on my knees that slow me down most.

I miss a few things with my limited hearing, from power tool use.

I figure that so long as I can still read the Obits - I'm not a subject.
Beats the alternative.

Larry Edgerton
10-16-2012, 5:07 AM
I've broken 63 bones in various mishaps and misadventures over the years and I am feeling it a bit now. Couple that with this cold/damp climate, not good.

Its all part of my plan to slide in to the Pearly Gates totally worn out, but as usual I am a bit ahead of schedule.;)

Larry

Myk Rian
10-16-2012, 8:34 AM
"A heavy book will cure the cysts."

I believe the old wives tale is to hit the cyst with a Bible. I actually did this to a friend of mine about ten years ago and still no cyst.
Some doctors will use that method.
Really.

Rich Engelhardt
10-16-2012, 8:50 AM
We're 5 weeks into a remodel of an upstairs bath, replacing 6 windows & a door in an upstairs enclosed porch, repainting the beedrooms and hall upstairs and installing new railings on the front steps & a bunch more stuff the customer has added onto the list...

Tired?

I'm beyond tired. I passed tired 4 weeks ago!
Too many years sitting behind a desk pushing a mouse and keys on a keyboard/more cigarettes than I care to think about/more beer down the hatch - finally caught up w/me.

The worst part - other than climbing the stairs & humping tools and materials up those stairs - is that I'm an early bird and my boss (the contractor I'm working with/for) is a night owl.
I like to start eary - in this case "early" is 8:00/8:30 & he likes to start around 11:00am and work until 8:00pm.

LOL!!!
Was it really only a year ago I was complaining about being "retired"?????
The last 9.5 months have been so hectic I don't know if I'm coming or going or stuck somewhere in between....

Jimmeny Crickets.....I wish somebody would thump me on the head w/a heavy book @ this point and put me in the hospital so i could get some rest!!! ;)