PDA

View Full Version : vacuum chuck setup questions

Greg Bender
10-11-2012, 12:35 PM
A question for anybody who has built there own vacuum chuck setup. I notice that some folks install a tube from the bearing near the handwhel to the front of the spindle with some kind of bottle bung or the equivalent to seal the vacuum right up to the chuck. My question is what are you using and if it is a 1/8 npt nipple ,where did you find one long enough that would fit loosely in the spindle shaft ID? I'm working on my Jet 16/42 and initial estimated length will be around 16" and most pipe nipples max out at 12".I used a double sealed bearing so now I'm wondering if I really need a tube to go through a tube.Any help will be much appreciated. This is the only thing left for me to get assembled.
Thanx,Greg

David Gilbert
10-11-2012, 1:52 PM
I use the vacuum adapter made by JT Turning Tools (http://www.jtturningtools.com/). It has sealed ball bearings and attaches to the handwheel with O-rings so there isn't a tube that goes through to the other side. I also have a Jet 1642 and their system works GREAT! I believe that the folks who use the tube that goes through the headstock use lamp tubing and it must come in longer lengths. My suggestion is to give it a try without the tube. If you buy the JT adapter you also get a new handwheel for the lathe since Jet apparently does a poor job of controlling the diameter of the hole in the original handwheel so JT's adapter didn't always fit snugly.

I love my vacuum system. I use it for every bowl I make.

Cheers,
David

James Combs
10-11-2012, 2:04 PM
I made my own (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162882-My-New-Vacuum-Chuck&highlight=) for my Jet 1642 and didn't use a tube.

Fred Belknap
10-11-2012, 4:24 PM
Greg I got the Hold Fast system and it comes with a lamp tube. (the tube that holds the wires in a lamp from the bottom to the bulb)

Glen Blanchard
10-11-2012, 7:15 PM
Like David, I have JT Turning Tool's vac adapter. The advantages of not having the tube running through the spindle cannot be overstated. I highly encourage you to check out Tom's setup - it's great.

Thom Sturgill
10-11-2012, 7:55 PM
I bought the hold fast for my 1220 and then the JT system for my 1642. Both work, but JTs is much quicker to set up and remove and can be left in place (I admit it, I forgot to remove it once or twice). The hold fast interferes with either a regular check or a drive center, so must be removed if not using the vacuum chuck.

Josh Bowman
10-11-2012, 8:10 PM
I bought one of these off of ebay and really like it. I gave about $45 for it and use it all the time.
http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/pict/200810273423_1.jpg

Mike Cruz
10-11-2012, 9:30 PM
Ok, this is a "your milage may vary" thing... I got the same thing as Josh off Ebay. It works okay, but at about 3.5", it doesn't have that much holding power. Remember that the amount of PSI is exponential when the diameter of the circle increases. This unit works well, but I would like to see it in a 5" plus size. I mean, it is about 4" or so on its outside measurement, but the inside is 3.5 or less. Don't get me wrong, it works. Just that the amount of holding in that square inch range is just about the minimum that you would want. And you only need this type of thing IF your spindle isn't air tight.

IF you have an air tight spindle, I would recommend an adapter to fit into your outboard spindle (either the JT, someone elses, or make your own...but trickier), and either make your own vacuum chucks, or buy them.

I got the unit that Josh has because I had issues with the spindle on my PM90 not being air tight. Solved that issue (I think), but haven't gone the extra mile to go the direction that I'm pushing you to go...I already have money into this thing...

Josh Bowman
10-11-2012, 10:21 PM
Mike is right, bigger is better, but hey, I'm lazy and this thing is easy:D

Thom Sturgill
10-12-2012, 8:07 AM
As to chucks, I made my own. Some MDF glued up and drilled and threaded to fit the spindle end and pieces of PVC pipe or connectors glued in. I have leakage problems with one that I did not seal the MDF enough. Another coat or two of shellac will cure that though. I have 2 1/2" through 7" diameter connectors and a flat (slightly dished) disk covered with craft foam. I use whichever fits best, but obviously, the flat disk will not work for NE bowls. I did have one case where a small unnoticed hairline crack in the edge of a bowl caused the bowl to split in half when the vacuum was turned on. In a couple of other cases I noticed that I had nearly turned funnels only when the bottom flexed while cleaning up the base of the bowl. Those ended up being compotes rather than bowls.

Greg Bender
10-12-2012, 10:09 AM
Gentlemen,
I appreciate the info and guidance, I was going to buy the chuck that Josh and Mike bought but decided to make my own chucks using several 3,4,and 6" faceplates off fleabay. because of that decision I figured I should carry the vacuum tube through the spindle even though the spindle on a 16/42 is solid and sealed? I will check out some lamp rod tonite ,I had not thought about the lengthes that it is available in. I will add that my pressure relief valve was the first thing I installed.I got my hands on a 6 cfm vac pump that I went ahead and put new seals and o-rings in so I know it will move some air in a hurry.
Thanx,Greg

Steve Schlumpf
10-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Greg,

Here are a couple of older articles that may be of help to you when building your own system. The threads may be dated but the info is still relevant.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?99878-My-Vacuum-Chucking-System
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?84279-Vacuum-Chuck-System-%E2%80%93-How-I-Built-Mine

Bernie Weishapl
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I have the one from JT Turning Tools also and love it.

Jeffrey J Smith
10-12-2012, 4:43 PM
+1 for the JT Turning Tools adapter. When setting up my system on my old Jet 1642, I tried the Woodfast solution with the tube through the spindle and wound up spending the money for a OneWay adapter. The OneWay was a much better option and worked well; I just didn't like having to take the handwheel off everytime I wanted to use the vacuum chuck.

When I got my new lathe (Robust AB25), I ordered it with the JT Turning Tools vacuum adapter. It's a pleasure to use and setup when needed including switching chucks is about 30 seconds or less. I understand that the version they sell for the 1642 includes a new handwheel along with the adapter so you're assured the adapter fits well without leaks and you don't need to fiddle with the handwheel everytime you want to use the vacuum system.

Bob Bergstrom
10-12-2012, 5:02 PM
I have JT on a Powermatic. I have pulled the adapter in and out a couple hundred times and the "O" rings are still doing their job well. It is the ease of use and quality of the device that make it a pleasure to use. I have the chuck also and switch the pvc adapter quite often. unscrewing the 6 set screws can take some time, but having one chuck that adapts to different size bowls is worth it.

Greg Bender
10-12-2012, 9:32 PM
I went to michaels and Hobby Lobby tonite to buy some closed cell foam tape and nobody knew what I was talking about. Anybody have any ideas as to what I should be looking for and where. I did buy some floral tape and will try it in the morning. Thanx in advance,
Greg

Josh Bowman
10-12-2012, 9:58 PM
I just bought some sheets of it from Wally World. I cut up what I need and stick it between the piece and the PVC chuck. It works great.

Bob Bergstrom
10-12-2012, 9:59 PM
I bought a package of closed foam sheet from Hobby Lobby. Sprayed some contact glue on the back and stuck it to my chuck. Works as good as any other. The pack of sheets was on sale for under $5, or use the 40% off coupon.

Thom Sturgill
10-13-2012, 8:01 AM
The WaMart craft sheets are self stick and come in 5x8 and 8x11 sizes. One package will last quite a while.

Greg Bender
10-13-2012, 9:57 AM
I wanted to Thank everybody for the great info and guidance. I found a 30" lamp rod last nite ,had a Arrow Pneumatics 40 micron filter for the input side of the pump,made two of the chucks out of some 8/4 saepele and 3 and 4" pvc pipe. I'm turning a spindle adapter with 2 each 6202 sealed bearings as we speak ,now all I need is to find some tape or sheet goods to seal the end of the PVC and I also ned to find some vacuum pump oil which had slipped my mind. I will photograph the setup when I'm done and post it.
Thanx again,
Greg

Mike Peace
10-13-2012, 2:24 PM
It is typically called fun foam. Sometimes finding an item at Michaels and Hobby Lobby is a challenge, especially if you can't provide the same name they use.

Greg Bender
10-16-2012, 9:51 AM
Antbody know what is up with JT Wood Turning Tool's website? Been trying to get on it since Friday when all the responses suggested them and the site has been down.
Greg

Steve Schlumpf
10-16-2012, 4:56 PM
Greg... I just checked and their site is back on the air... at least it was when I checked at 4:55 pm EDT.

Jeffrey J Smith
10-16-2012, 5:04 PM
Greg:
I just tried it and it seems to be up and running normally. By the way - the closed cell foam I get here at JoAnne's is called Funky Foam - you can get it either with adhesive or without in sheets of 8-1/2 x 11 or 11 x 17 inches and thicknesses from 2mm thru 4 or 5 mm.

David Gilbert
10-16-2012, 7:32 PM
I just went out to the JT Woodturning Tool's website: http://www.jtturningtools.com/ and everything seems to be working correctly.

Cheers,
David

Eric Holmquist
10-16-2012, 8:46 PM
They are doing maintenance, a friend wanted to buy something, called them and they brought it up temporarily for her to do her product research

Greg Bender
10-16-2012, 9:05 PM
Steve ,Jeff and David,
Thanx for the followup, went to JT's site this evening and all is well.
Jeff,
I never thought of Joanne's but will check. What I bought at Hobby Lobby was in sheet form with adhesive back but is not sealing as well as I had hoped. I'm pulling about 20 in of merc.Not bad so far. Need to make some new chucks out of hard maple then will see how it performs.
Thanx,Greg

John Giem
10-25-2012, 2:52 AM
In all of the discussion about setting up rotary vacuum adapters, one important parameter has not be mentioned, the inside diameter of the tubing from the pump up to and through the adapter. The inside diameter of the JT unit is adequate as well as the OneWay. But there are some commercial adapters that have about a 1/8" passage throught the rotary adapter. The sizing of the air passages within the vacuum system has a major impact on the system performance. Recommendation- use 3/8" tubing and keep all air passages as large as possible. Some of the tests I've run indicate that in a typical system with 3/8" tubing and fittings, a pump with a capacity of 3.5 to 4 CFM is adequate. Usually, anything over that is wasted $$ unless you already own it. I am in the process of developing an article for the American Woodturner that will explain the above recommendation and will show you how to measure the performance of your vacuum systems.
John Giem

Mike Cruz
10-25-2012, 6:39 AM
John, you've mentioned articles that you've written before. Can you link any/all of them?