PDA

View Full Version : Help clearing a badly clogged shower drain

Augusto Orosco
10-11-2012, 10:57 AM
My shower drain is badly clogged; I think it's probably hair and soap residue. I have tried baking soda and vinegar, then a plunger and hot water to no avail. I bought a 15 feet snake and went through the hole length and came up empty. Now, the snake clears the accumulated water, but it doesn't solve the problem since the shower keeps filling up every time we add more water. I even used Drano once (which I hate using) to no avail.

After the shower fills up, it takes about 5/10 minutes to drain (so I know it's not 100% clogged). Towards the end, a "tap tap tap" noise can be heard from the pies.

Any suggestions? I don't want to pour another bottle of chemicals into the drain; I rather find another solution. Plumber is probably next, but what would he/she do differently?

Would a shop-vac help here, or is that also pointless given that the 15' snake couldn't solve the problem?

Thanks!

Jason Roehl
10-11-2012, 11:06 AM
What kind of snake did you use? Sometimes the metal-coil snakes just poke a hole through the clog without fully clearing it. You could try a plastic barbed snake, which would be better at snagging the clog and perhaps pulling it out. Also, you could try the plunger again, but don't use full, powerful strokes with it--that can make the problem worse by packing the clog into a turn somewhere. Instead, use quick, short, in-and-out strokes in rapid succession to work the clog--make sure you have the drain filled with water first, since the water doesn't compress like air will. It also helps if you cover the overflow drain (if present).

You could also look for a plumbing clean-out--a capped off T in the pipe somewhere near where the drain pipe exits the house.

Another thing to check would be any vent pipes--sometimes animals or their nests clog those and cause a slow drain.

Andrew Pitonyak
10-11-2012, 11:23 AM
For a shower, I have usually seen a bunch of hair close to the drain, so that plastic barbed snake mentioned is a very good solution. Also, my snake has a tip that is more likely to catch some of that and pull it back.

How long does it take to fill with water? If it is fast, then you know that it is not far to the problem.

Augusto Orosco
10-11-2012, 11:31 AM
What kind of snake did you use? Sometimes the metal-coil snakes just poke a hole through the clog without fully clearing it. You could try a plastic barbed snake, which would be better at snagging the clog and perhaps pulling it out. Also, you could try the plunger again, but don't use full, powerful strokes with it--that can make the problem worse by packing the clog into a turn somewhere. Instead, use quick, short, in-and-out strokes in rapid succession to work the clog--make sure you have the drain filled with water first, since the water doesn't compress like air will. It also helps if you cover the overflow drain (if present).

You could also look for a plumbing clean-out--a capped off T in the pipe somewhere near where the drain pipe exits the house.

Another thing to check would be any vent pipes--sometimes animals or their nests clog those and cause a slow drain.

I am using the metal coiled snake with a spring shaped tip. Maybe the plastic barbed snake might help.

How long does it take to fill with water? If it is fast, then you know that it is not far to the problem.

Good point. It takes about 20 secs to start filling up.

Thanks, guys. Just got informed that the plumber won't be able to come until Monday; it would be great if I can solve this issue sooner rather than wait 4 days.

Tim Boger
10-11-2012, 11:57 AM
I'd recommend getting a plumber out there with a industrial length snake to get to and through any obstructions .... sounds like this may be beyond the DIY project.

Ralph Boumenot
10-11-2012, 12:33 PM
The fact that you are draining slowly makes me want to look at the venting for the shower. The vent being clogged somehow will slow down draining even if the drain piping is clear. You need atmospheric pressure on the drain to cause the water to flow out.

Mark Berenbrok
10-11-2012, 12:46 PM
I had the same problem a few weeks ago and used Drano Max Gel Clog Remover. It took two treatments and the entire bottle but it cleared the drain.

Augusto Orosco
10-11-2012, 12:53 PM
The fact that you are draining slowly makes me want to look at the venting for the shower. The vent being clogged somehow will slow down draining even if the drain piping is clear. You need atmospheric pressure on the drain to cause the water to flow out.

This might be a dumb question, but is there another way to eliminate that possibility without climbing to the roof? Getting to the roof is not easy (three stories, steep roof)

Dan Friedrichs
10-11-2012, 1:01 PM
This might be a dumb question, but is there another way to eliminate that possibility without climbing to the roof? Getting to the roof is not easy (three stories, steep roof)

This may be a dumb idea, but: shop vac? Suck down onto the drain (making sure the overflow is blocked off), and plenty of air should be sucked through the drain and blow out the shop vac exhaust. If the vent is blocked, you should feel much less air flow.

(I am not a plumber, obviously :) )

Steve Friedman
10-11-2012, 1:13 PM
I have been using a Kleer Drain (around $25 at HD) that uses CO2 cartridges to blow out the blockage. I have used it in toilets, showers, and sinks and the results are pretty amazing. Sometimes you need a couple of shots to clear the blockage. Obviously won't work if the problem is more than just a simple drain blockage, but for $25 it's worth a shot.

www.kleerdrain.blogspot.com

Steve

Bryan Slimp
10-11-2012, 2:38 PM
I rented a small line snake last year that was much smaller than a main line snake but offered better clearing results than my 20' 1/4" snake. It was a small frame with a drum for the snake, interchangeable tips, and a 3/8" drill for the motor. Sounds like you need a couple of different tips to clear the clog and then clean the pipes. If offers a little more power than a hand snake.

Ruperto Mendiones
10-11-2012, 3:02 PM
I've had some success with a bladder device that goes on the end of a hose. Bladder inflates in the drain and water shoots out thru a nozzle. Most big box stores have these in 2or 3 sizes. This could be useful clearing debris after the snake.

Bill Rogers
10-11-2012, 3:37 PM
Can't you rent an industrial type snake? That is what I have done and they work better than the 15' versions, plus it it cheaper than calling a plumber!!

John Pratt
10-11-2012, 4:12 PM
With four women in my house this is a common occurance (hair and various other things like razor caps in the drain). My first go-to tool is the plastic barbed tool sold at HD. Then the drain bladders as mentioned above. I also am lucky enough to have a 75' snake in the house that I go to if the others fail. I have used the Kleer Drain in the past but that was ineffectual for me. One thing I do fairly regularly (every three month) is pour a cup of household bleach in all the drains in the house. I let it sit for several hours and then flush water in the lines. I don't think it does a darn thing to dissolve the hair, but it does break up the soap scum that seems to hold those hair bundles together. (Word of Warning: do not urinate in the toilet if you have bleach in the bowl).

Larry Frank
10-11-2012, 8:29 PM
I would like to hear from anyone that has used a vacuum on the drain. My experience is the same as many with clumps of hair and soap gunk. The plastic barbed hook tool has worked for me a couple of times but I have also had to just take off the traps below the drain. I am lucky as my house is a single level with a basement so that the shower and tub drain traps are easy to get to....just a big smelly mess.

Jim Matthews
10-11-2012, 8:36 PM
Pressurizing a clogged drain will only put stress on the system - or move the clog farther from the drain.

Use mechanical means to remove the mat of hair that holds things together.
Clean down to the bottom of the P-trap, and look it over with a flashlight.

If the drain still doesn't flow, you're in professional territory.
These are simple problems, that improperly handled become complex repairs.

Stephen Tashiro
10-11-2012, 9:12 PM
Make sure you know what type of trap is on the drain. There is a type of trap that is like a can, instead of being like the common S-shaped pipe trap. I've heard this type is not easy to snake-out. I have one on my bath tub, but fortunately it has never clogged.

Myk Rian
10-12-2012, 9:25 AM
Whatever you might do with the roof vent, do not, and I repeat, DO NOT use a leaf blower in it.
I did that this summer to remove a wasp nest. A little later Wifey calls me into the bathroom to show me a flood on the floor.
The air pressure blew all the water out of the toilet.
I had invented a new style Bidet.
:eek:

Jason Roehl
10-12-2012, 9:32 AM
Did you laugh? :D

John Coloccia
10-12-2012, 9:35 AM
Sound like the clog is too far down, but before we got a new drain with a hair trap, we use to get hair clogs all the time in our bathtub. My goto tool was (and still is) old guitar strings. I save the wound string just for this. I bend the end back, so there's a little hook to grab things. Then I go to the other end and make a couple of bends to make a little crank. I turn it and snake it down. A few seconds later, I pull out the clog. Very quick and easy.

Myk Rian
10-12-2012, 9:36 AM
Did you laugh? :D
Yes. We had a good laugh over it, after wiping the floor down.
Good thing there was nobody sitting on it, or something in it.

Phil Thien
10-12-2012, 9:38 AM
Start boiling multiple pots of water on the stove, and pour them down the drain. As soon as you empty one pot, fill it with water and start it boiling again. Do this until the drain runs freely.

Augusto Orosco
10-12-2012, 9:39 AM
Also, you could try the plunger again, but don't use full, powerful strokes with it--that can make the problem worse by packing the clog into a turn somewhere. Instead, use quick, short, in-and-out strokes in rapid succession to work the clog--make sure you have the drain filled with water first, since the water doesn't compress like air will. It also helps if you cover the overflow drain (if present).

Bingo! Last night I used the snake again. Although it came back empty I made sure I twisted it around trying to loosen whatever could still be there. I then tried the plastic barbed short snake and still found nothing. Finally I turned on the shower and let the water fill up; which it did pretty quickly. Went at it with the plunger for 3-4 minutes,using the rapid short motion you suggested and voila! Shower now drains like the first day it was installed.

Thanks Jason and everyone else for all the good suggestions. It's helpful when you can brainstorm the problem with a bunch of people. You guys just saved me a bunch of money!

Jason Roehl
10-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Just a little experience. My #2 child, thin as he may be, has caused me (and my brother-in-law, when we stay at their house for Turkey Day) much plumbing grief over the years. And not from hair. :eek:

Glad you got it working!

Myk Rian
10-12-2012, 12:22 PM
When the kids were young, the toilet got plugged. After many attempts at using a snake, it came down to pulling the toilet up.
A rubber ball was stuck in the bottom of it.
Watch the kids, constantly!!!

ray hampton
10-13-2012, 9:00 PM
I use a tool that are made to remove belts from cassette players, the hook on the end can be use to catch the hair at the tub drain and pull the globs of hair out

Ethan Liou
10-14-2012, 1:38 AM
Whenever I feel the drain performs not as well, I use Sodium hydroxide before it becomes a real problem. I know you probably won't be wiling to try another chemical. But this has been working for me for quite some years and it's easy. It's a strong chemical though. So be really careful.

phil harold
10-14-2012, 9:07 AM
I would not use a vacuum
Sewer gas can get you sick and explode

find a pressure washer and get this
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200330901_200330901

wear gloves
use a 5 gallon bucket to coil it into before and during use

p.s. women products are famous for causing clogs those cottoniny and string things catch on almost anything!

David G Baker
10-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Sodium Hydroxide should work well in clearing a drain because it will dissolve hair, grease and flesh. The flesh dissolving is the major risk factor and it will also dissolve eyes. I used 36N Sodium Hydroxide for years while I managed a motion picture film processing lab as a component in the processing chemistry. If you use it wear gloves and eye protection designed for working with caustics. I am not sure that concentrated Sodium Hydroxide is available for sale to the general public. I have used Sulfuric Acid as a drain plug dissolver, it works but if you have plastic fittings the chemical generates a lot of heat and may melt the fittings, don't ask me how I know.

Rich Engelhardt
10-15-2012, 7:27 AM
These are simple problems, that improperly handled become complex repairs.
That's exactly the lesson I've learned.....
Unless it's a super simple thing, when it comes to plumbing I just suck it up and call a pro.
99 times out of 100 I ended up having to call one in anyhow after I'd wasted either a lot of time or a lot of money or both, so I just skip that part these days.

Thomas Canfield
10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I did not see anyone mentioning using the 2 part foaming drain cleaner. I have found that the foaming cleaner helps to get the total surface of the drain line coated and help remove the soap/grease/alge/???? build up followed by a good flushing afterward. The foaming cleaners seem to work bettern on a "slow" drain and not on a stopped up drain where you need to use a "gel" type that will sink and flow to the point of blockage. The plunger only works on stoppage between the drain opening and the vent pipe since you only then push liquid up the vent.