PDA

View Full Version : bowl blanks rought outs...

Russell Eaton
10-11-2012, 9:52 AM
I have finally finished the waxing the blanks from last weekend, and even went Tuesday and bought a spalted ambrosia maple log. The single pallet is just from the maple. I have sold several blanks so this is not all, just most of the production. I did move the pallet jack out of the picture

:D. Enjoy, and comments are welcome, good or bad. Russell

Mike Cruz
10-11-2012, 11:22 AM
Russell, that is a boatload of wood! Turn, turn, turn before that stuff cracks... DAMHIK

Baxter Smith
10-11-2012, 9:40 PM
You must be tired! Makes me tired just looking at it!

Donny Lawson
10-11-2012, 9:45 PM
I think you have ALOT of work ahead of you. Happy turning and post more pics of some of the progress.

Kathy Marshall
10-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Dang! That is a nice pile of blanks! That should keep you busy through the winter!

Bernie Weishapl
10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Wow that is a bunch of blanks. That should keep ya busy a day or two.:D

Steve Busey
10-12-2012, 7:25 AM
I'm thinking that's about half the inventory I saw yesterday. He's got bowl blanks like I've got sawdust... :rolleyes:
I got to see that 22" sweetgum bowl roughout he posted on Tuesday - that thing's huge!

And then as I was leaving, Russell was heading out to get some more logs! I think Russell's gonna be a big player in monster lathe bowl blanks market in the near future!

I managed to snag some blanks from him - a stack taller than my trashcan - 5 good sized bowl blanks and some smaller (think bottle stoppers, pencil cups, etc) pieces from his burn pile (yes, even his burn pile is nicer than my turning stock!! :rolleyes:).

Thanks Russell! Let me know when you score that big walnut log! :cool:

(PS - did I mention I knew him when he just had a benchtop mini-lathe? )

Russell Eaton
10-12-2012, 8:36 AM
Well Steve, here are the logs from last night. 2 red maple one is 24" on the butt end and 21" on the small end. The other is 21" and 19". I have more work cut out for myself. Thank God I spent the extra money and got hydraulic options, it is worth every penny! Oh yea one more small log with incredible figure.

Dave Fritz
10-12-2012, 8:53 AM
Russell, what do you mean by hydraulic options? That's some really nice wood for sure.

Dave F.

Mike Cruz
10-12-2012, 9:08 AM
Russell, do I detect ambrosia in that small piece? ;) Looks like you might have some spalting in the big logs, too.

Steve Busey
10-12-2012, 9:19 AM
here are the logs from last night. 2 red maple

Beautiful stuff!

Russell Eaton
10-12-2012, 9:36 AM
Dave the hydraulic options refer to the sawmill I bought to process the logs on. It has loader, turner, and clamp that are all hydraulic. I think I am developing HORDING issues. Admitting you have a problem is one of the steps...I think.

Dave Fritz
10-12-2012, 5:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. that makes sense. Funny about hording, a fellow wood turner just bought a say mill and said he can't turn the wood he has on hand now. Part of the affliction I guess.

Dave

Jeff Nicol
10-13-2012, 8:28 PM
It only gets worse from here after buying a saw mill! I have been doing it since 1985 and it is nearly impossible to turn down wood when it comes your way! Nice logs and have a great time sawing them up and sharing with all your turning buddies, because if you don't have any now you will soon have lots of them!

Jeff