PDA

View Full Version : Blade Alignment Method For A radial Arm Saw

HANK METZ
10-11-2012, 9:34 AM
Like any other tool, to get the most precision out of it, spend a little time doing the initial setup.
The methodology shown is used on the typical DeWalt saw, but may be procedurally similar to other makes.
242955 (http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/DeWalt_Blade_Align/DeWalt_Blade_Alignment.htm)

- Beachside Hank
Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Jeff Duncan
10-11-2012, 9:43 AM
I aligned my saw once....before I realized it was futile and was never going to stay accurate:eek: If you have a bigger saw I'm sure it would maintain alignment, but for guys with the smaller Craftsman style....fuhgetaboutit:cool:
JeffD

Paul Cahill
10-11-2012, 9:50 AM
I aligned my saw once....before I realized it was futile and was never going to stay accurate:eek: If you have a bigger saw I'm sure it would maintain alignment, but for guys with the smaller Craftsman style....fuhgetaboutit:cool:
JeffD

Been there, done that, got rid of it.

Paul

Bill White
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Used that method on the RAS I bought in 1978. Finally sold the saw this year (no room in the new shop) after doing just about everything on it that a RAS can do. I guess I was lucky with mine 'cause it was a worthy saw.
Bill

Chip Lindley
10-11-2012, 11:47 AM
Leave the saw arm set as-is. 45 degrees will always be 45 degrees. Other Increments will be accurate also. Rather than adjust the saw arm, adjust the table instead. when the table fence is set accurately 90 degrees from the blade, all is well. It works well with a Rockwell / Delta 12 inch RAS. Surely, also with a sturdy DeWalt! Craftsman??? Fergetaboutit!!!

Jeff Duncan
10-11-2012, 6:02 PM
Been there, done that, got rid of it.

Paul

Yup, I keep thinking about it, but there's always something else more important to replace! That and the fact that it's only use is trimming the ends of rough boards before headed to the jointer;)

JeffD

Ed Aumiller
10-11-2012, 7:39 PM
Have a Craftsman 10" RAS bought new in 1977... made a lot of stuff with it before I got a tablesaw
If the table is lined up at 90 degrees to arm, find it very accurate and stays accurate...
You have to keep everything properly adjusted.. Basically a good saw...

Sold a larger (16") Dewalt RAS that worked just as good, but was just too big for my shop...