PDA

View Full Version : The Salt Pig

David DeCristoforo
10-10-2012, 6:58 PM
My wife loves salt. When she prays, I think part of what she prays for is that if she ever is stricken by some dread disease, that it not be one of those that requires it's victim to abstain from salt. She has always especially loved Maldon salt. These days, there are tons of "gourmet" or "artisan" salts on the market. But when I first met her, few had ever heard of any of them. I certainly had not.

The "problem" with these salts is that they are usually sold in their "natural" form, large crystals containing lots of moisture which precludes the common salt shaker. So they are usually kept on the table in a small bowl or a salt box. But there is another receptacle for these salts that I discovered. The salt pig.

When I first found out about salt pigs, I thought they were much more "fun" than salt bowls or salt boxes. Apparently the salt pig has it's origins in ancient Scotland and England and the nomenclature is derived from the reference to any earthenware container as a "pig". Some speculate that the term references the opening's resemblance to a pig's snout. Salt pigs generally come equipped with a small scoop. the salt crystals are scooped out of the pig and crushed with the fingers.

In any case, it seemed a likely candidate for a "practical" item that could be made on the lathe. Since my wife had a birthday coming up, I decided to take a shot at one. This is also my first attempt at making one of those.

This is an admittedly clumsy first effort. Overall, it's a bit on the too big side, the "snout" is out of proportion and the overall shape is awkward. But I learned a lot making this first one and my wife loved it. Seems like this would be a great candidate for a Mike Foster/Paul Hedman type multi-axis turning but that would involve a lot of carving and I've never enjoyed carving. It also begs for a Cynthia Gibson treatment!

Baxter Smith
10-10-2012, 7:18 PM
Can't say as I learn something new here every day..... but today I did!:)

Roger Chandler
10-10-2012, 7:49 PM
Nice work,David......the first I ever heard of such an item as this.....this could lead to many versions and designs.

Bernie Weishapl
10-10-2012, 10:08 PM
Really nicely done David.

Peter Fabricius
10-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi all;
I am wondering why no one is asking how it was done? Dosen't anyone want to try one?
Hoping that asking for details and production (tutorial) pictures is not a NO NO on SMC?
It is a really neat piece, David.
A Sea Salt tray / bowl is a very common kitchen and dining room piece in Denmark and I rember growing up with those on our table.
I actually just made a small 3.5" bowl with a lid for my Son and DIL to use at their cottage. They love to use a pinch of Sea Salt to cook with.
Just asking.....
Peter F.

Jay Rasmussen
10-10-2012, 10:38 PM
Very nice David, I really like your spoon!

Salt Pig: who would have thunk it.

David Warkentin
10-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Looks really neat. And the spoon is great!

Mike Cruz
10-10-2012, 10:55 PM
Peter, not a NO NO at all. Most here are more than happy to share how they do things. DD on the other hand, he's different. He holds on to secrets like CIA agent! Hehe, just kidding. I'm sure DD will be more than happy to divulge. But from what I see, it looks like he turned a fire hydrant, drilled a hole in the side, and inserted a tube/ring in that hole. Simple...in concept. Application might be MUCH harder, not sure, but that would be MY guess! ;)

DD, rather than a pig, I think this looks like the Despicable Me charicters...:D

Ted Calver
10-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Cool! Looks like a character from South Park...you killed Kenny!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-10-2012, 11:28 PM
http://l3.zassets.com/images/z/1/2/5/1/3/5/1251358-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
We use this salt pig everyday! It is great; easy to access and the coarse/kosher salt has a much better texture than the ol' regular table salt with which we are probably all familiar.

I love your execution DD; however, having used one for some time, it seems to me that yours would be nearly impossible to stick your hand in to get your pinch . . . is it just the picture? If you have to pour it, I think that kinda defeats the purpose of these contraptions . . .

Great looking in any event!

P.S. What's the removable stick (finial) for?

Robert Henrickson
10-10-2012, 11:34 PM
P.S. What's the removable stick (finial) for?

There is a scoop on the end of the 'removable stick' -- no fingers needed.

Kathy Marshall
10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
That looks really cool David! Great job on the spoon finial too!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-11-2012, 12:21 AM
There is a scoop on the end of the 'removable stick' -- no fingers needed.

Oh man . . . do I feel dumb! Shoulda looked a bit closer before typing . . . :o:o

Rick Markham
10-11-2012, 1:16 AM
I like the pig's proportions! The spoon definitely is the icing on the cake... er... salt on the fry... pig in a poke... bee's knees...

Johnny Taylor
10-11-2012, 3:29 AM
Good job David, the only other place I have seen a 'Salt Pig' is at my Mother in laws, she uses one for her sea salt crystals in the kitchen, right next to the cooker(range) for easy addition to her recipes! She always cooks enormous meals when we go there, so loose trousers(pants) and an empty stomach are a must when we visit!!

Mike Cruz
10-11-2012, 6:01 AM
Jeff, that looks like a painted PVC 45 elbow...:rolleyes: Someone's making a MINT on those!

Michelle Rich
10-11-2012, 6:19 AM
well, it ain't no pig in a poke! I sure like seeing useful turned items..thanks for sharing this.

Tim Rinehart
10-11-2012, 8:00 AM
Clever design but a bit of angling on your opening would have provided an easier way to get into the bottom, I think. The salt pigs I've seen also (as some showed) were made with an angled opening for reaching into to grab a pinch or so, but I like your use of a little scoop in our germaphope driven world, may have better appeal.
Oh...and a bit of Cynthia's work would definitely jazz it up.

David DeCristoforo
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
The pig needs much refinement. A more angled opening and also a bit larger one. A smaller body as well as numerous other "design issues".

The following is quoted from "The Salt Pig: It's Origins, History and Use", an ancient manual dating back as far as the pig itself. The author is unknown.

It should be pointed out that in polite company, one does not place one's fingers directly into the salt. A bit of salt is scooped out of the pig and deposited (gracefully) into the palm of the left hand. Obviously, this indicates that the right hand is used for the manipulation of the scoop or spoon which, in polite company, would be made of silver. The the spoon is then returned to the pig and the salt is taken between the thumb and forefinger of the right hand, gently crushed and sprinkled over the food. Any salt clinging to the palm is lightly brushed onto the food as well. It should be noted that one is never to lick one's fingers after completing this procedure. Also, one should keep one's back straight and sit upright and not slump over the food. One who places one's fingers directly into the salt or exhibits poor posture while salting one's food is a different type of salt pig altogether and rarely to be found at a proper table.

Mike Cruz
10-11-2012, 11:44 AM
So....Is this a polite community, then?

Tim Rinehart
10-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Why do I have this vision of one Rolls pulling up to another and the occupant of one saying to the other "pardon me, but could I trouble you to borrow your salt pig...!":cool:

Rick Markham
10-11-2012, 4:25 PM
The following is quoted from "The Salt Pig: It's Origins, History and Use", an ancient manual dating back as far as the pig itself. The author in unknown.

One who places one's fingers directly into the salt or exhibits poor posture while salting one's food is a different type of salt pig altogether and rarely to be found at a proper table.

Now that's funny!!! :D

ray hampton
10-11-2012, 4:52 PM
My wife loves salt. When she prays, I think part of what she prays for is that if she ever is stricken by some dread disease, that it not be one of those that requires it's victim to abstain from salt. She has always especially loved Maldon salt. These days, there are tons of "gourmet" or "artisan" salts on the market. But when I first met her, few had ever heard of any of them. I certainly had not.

The "problem" with these salts is that they are usually sold in their "natural" form, large crystals containing lots of moisture which precludes the common salt shaker. So they are usually kept on the table in a small bowl or a salt box. But there is another receptacle for these salts that I discovered. The salt pig.

When I first found out about salt pigs, I thought they were much more "fun" than salt bowls or salt boxes. Apparently the salt pig has it's origins in ancient Scotland and England and the nomenclature is derived from the reference to any earthenware container as a "pig". Some speculate that the term references the opening's resemblance to a pig's snout. Salt pigs generally come equipped with a small scoop. the salt crystals are scooped out of the pig and crushed with the fingers.

In any case, it seemed a likely candidate for a "practical" item that could be made on the lathe. Since my wife had a birthday coming up, I decided to take a shot at one. This is also my first attempt at making one of those.

This is an admittedly clumsy first effort. Overall, it's a bit on the too big side, the "snout" is out of proportion and the overall shape is awkward. But I learned a lot making this first one and my wife loved it. Seems like this would be a great candidate for a Mike Foster/Paul Hedman type multi-axis turning but that would involve a lot of carving and I've never enjoyed carving. It also begs for a Cynthia Gibson treatment!

well you are never too old to learn something NEW

Sid Matheny
10-11-2012, 7:13 PM
Looks nice to me and this old redneck learned something today also!

Sid

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-11-2012, 8:01 PM
Jeff, that looks like a painted PVC 45 elbow...:rolleyes: Someone's making a MINT on those!

Truer words were never spoken Mike! Crafted of clay and glazed (pennies), a french name stamped on the front (buck or two, depending on your politics), sold at Sur La Tab (many bucks, no matter your politics!) add in the wife and you've got your "receipe" for high priced PVC!!!

Steve Schlumpf
10-13-2012, 11:58 PM
You can add me to the list of folks who have never heard of one of these before... but I think it is pretty cool! I can see where you can change/modify the form but think you nailed the scoop! That is really nice!