PDA

View Full Version : finished my shop made wagon vise!

Matthew N. Masail
10-10-2012, 1:22 PM
This was an economical and practical solution for me, obviously nothing special to you guy’s, but I’m proud of it. I made a video, it's in Hebrew (for our growing community) so you might find it hilarious! but it shows that it works rather well, skip forwards for the vise, the beginning just shows planning stops.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlmIO-ZkCbI&feature=plcp

Jim Ritter
10-10-2012, 7:22 PM
Hi Matthew, I watched your video and of course did not understand your words but your pride and attention to detail was obvious. Nice job on the vise and the planing stops. I am concerned that the part of the bench that holds the wagon vise does not have any cross grain wood. Perhaps you explained something verbally that I didn't understand. I am guessing maybe you put a bolt through the top laminates to strengthen it? You were explaining something there. A very nice bench overall, thanks for sharing.
Jim

Brent VanFossen
10-11-2012, 1:30 AM
Very nice looking bench with an impressive wagon vise. I like the planing stops, too, but particularly the disassembly and discussion of the parts of the vise. As this is your first normal workbench, you should be very proud. You solved a number of problems nicely.

Chris Griggs
10-11-2012, 6:19 AM
Enjoyed your video Matthew regardless of the fact that I couldn't understand it. As Brent said, I really liked your planing stop and the disassembly of your vise showed a lot of ingenuity. Very nice bench.

Matthew N. Masail
10-11-2012, 5:26 PM
Thanks so much guys ! I've been woodworking for about 10 months (not counting when I had only a jigsaw, an orbital sander and a drill) and I really injoy thinking of and learning new things, there is so much to learn. this forum must be the best place I know of for that:)

Jim, the bench is actually not solid wood. it's an upgrade to my plywood bench, that I soon realized was not the best idea (the plywood). the top is 1 1/4" thick plywood reinforced nicely all around, and a 1 1/2" thick piece of beech glued and screw under the dog hole strips.
the solid wood top is 1/4" thick poplar that I found in the garbage outside a woodshop. I know 1/4" is thin but I don't think I'll ever need to re-flaten it, maybe very slightly, and it feels very nice ( I finished it with 3-4 coats of pure tung oil). the wooden part that holds the vise screw was cut off the wagon block itself, to insure hole alignment, and was glued and screw in from every possible direction, it's very solid. but it had not occurred to me that this would be a problem with a solid top bench, so thanks for teaching me that!

Dave Beauchesne
10-11-2012, 9:43 PM
Matthew:

Nice to see the video and how you made it work - no Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen nearby to get inspiration / parts from -

Well Done !

Dave Beauchesne