PDA

View Full Version : Help with hollows and rounds

Dale Cruea
10-10-2012, 1:18 PM
I just purchased a 1/2 set of Harlequin hollows and rounds.
The seller says they have not been cleaned up and just as found.

I have never worked with hollows and rounds before.

Is there anything I need to do or watch for?

How do you refurbish a hollow or round?

Any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated and likely be a big help.

Thanks,
Dale

Zach Dillinger
10-10-2012, 1:32 PM
Dale, for cleaning, I would just use a good quality paste wax and a rag. If they are really grungy, escalate the attack from there if necessary, but no steel wool!

As for tuning, make sure that the planes are straight (banana planes don't work). Make sure the blade fits the shape of the sole, as often they are screwed up by novices or when the body shrinks. Finally, make sure the wedge locks the iron down tight to the body, again the shrinkage of the body can mess this up. If you bought American planes, it is likely that you will have to deal with warped planes. British, not so much.

Congrats on the buy!

Robert Rozaieski
10-10-2012, 5:51 PM
Dale,

I wrote an article on this very subject for the Feb 2011 Popular Woodworking Magazine. If you happen to subscribe and keep your back issues you might look for it. If not, send me your email address and I'll send you a PDF copy of the article.

I should really do a podcast on this. I actually have a pair that need tuning up anyway.

Dale Cruea
10-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Zach,
I purchased Harlequin H&R. I don't know if they are British or American. I never checked.
The add said the were as found. They looked good in the pictures.
I have a DVD from Larry Wilson on making them that had some good pointers on setting them up when new.
I don't want to mess them up trying to get them to work.

Robert,
I sent to a PM with my e-mail address for the PDF file.

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

I am both excited and nervous about the H-R.
Can't wait to get them and afraid I will ruin them.

Thanks again,
Dale

Bob Jones
10-11-2012, 9:58 PM
The new book from lost art press covers the topic nicely. I'm reading it now and I like it

Dale Cruea
10-12-2012, 2:24 PM
Well I found out what Harlequin means. :D
The H-R came today and look very good at first glance.
Some look to be home made but nice planes others have a makers mark on them.
All in all the look like OK users.

Thanks for the help.