PDA

View Full Version : FirstGloat, Belated Introduction, and a Question

Glen Blanchard
04-17-2005, 2:00 PM
Well I imagine that I have not followed proper Netequitte here, so I am going to try to make amends. I have posted a few times here gleaning the vast expertise of this forum’s members without first introducing myself – I will do that now.

The father of 2 girls (ages 12 and 16) I began woodworking for pleasure in 1999, and have just recently gotten back into the hobby after a year or so unintentional hiatus (summers are hot and winters are cold in my little garage shop). I am a dentist (that explains the avatar) and practice in Carrollton, Texas, a northern suburb of Dallas, and I live in an adjacent suburb – Plano. My shop is too small to make anything significant, so I mostly make decorative boxes and such, which I greatly enjoy. My current project is making a humidor for a college buddy of mine.

I have done some upgrading to my shop over the last 6 weeks including

· Built new router table top for my new Jointech digital router lift (that lift is really cool)
· Upgraded my DC system
· Purchased an Excalibur overhead blade guard
· Purchased a Biesemeyer snap in splitter for my TS
· Installed a riser for my Jet 14” BS
· And most significantly, replaced my Jet contractor saw with a Jet cabinet saw – photo attached making this gloat legal.

So I apologize for not introducing myself earlier – just got too excited tapping into the wealth of information shared here. Let me add that this forum is a true pleasure to read!! The level of camaraderie and courtesy is a breath of fresh air. I wish I could say that I enjoy this same level of respect on all of my dental forums – sadly I do not. What a wonderful community y’all have here.

Now for my question – it relates to dust collection at a cabinet saw. I have DC connections at the base of my cabinet saw as well as through the Excalibur overhead blade guard. As I only use zero-clearance inserts, it seems that 95% of the dust created is above the table. Currently I have a single blast gate opening up both the hose to the overhead guard as well as the one to the base of the cabinet. This arrangement obviously “dilutes” the effectiveness of dust collection at the overhead guard. Would it make sense to install another blast gate for the run to the cabinet base and normally keep that closed, opening it only periodically to pull out the accumulated dust in the cabinet. Doing so would maximize the collection of dust above the table where most of the dust is created. Does this make sense? How are others with DC above the table handling this?

lou sansone
04-17-2005, 3:07 PM
hi glen

first of all welcome to the creek.
secondly as far as your question is concerned, it seems that just trying it to see how you liked the dual blast gate setup would be a quick and easy test.

lou

David Wilson
04-17-2005, 3:23 PM
Glen

Welcome aboard.
I have dual blast gates on my table saw and I would say that the effectiveness of my overhead guard has increaced dramaticly.

Brian Hale
04-17-2005, 3:33 PM
Thats a Nice setup you've got there Glen!

As for the DC question, I'd first seal the TS as best you can. Duct tape the area where the top meets the base will have a small effect but every little bit helps. I have some magnetic sheets that are sold for closing off HVAC ducts that i place over the opening in the front of the saw and they help a bit also.

Yes, i'd go with 2 blast gates and try using just one or the other and possibly closing one or both off part way. See what works best for you.

Welcome to the Creek!!!

Now lets see some of those boxes!

Brian

Jim Becker
04-17-2005, 5:16 PM
Glen, I also use two gates for my Excalibur guard and TS cabinet...and generally back off on the cabinet during through cuts that I'm using the guard. No big deal if a little "stuff" collects in the cabinet--I'd rather stop it from hitting me in the face. That said, with my upgraded cyclone, I get great performance with both open now, too...

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 8:43 AM
I also have two blast gates. I tend to run with the TS half open and the guard all the way open.

Also, a belated welcome to the creek! I am glad that you are enjoying your time here.