PDA

View Full Version : Nested Osage

Baxter Smith
10-09-2012, 8:04 PM
Thought I would take a break from roughing out oak today so cleanedup a bit in the shop and took some pictures.
Last spring, I was able to turn several Osage bowls. My first fall turning project was to sand outone of them for the man who gave me the wood.
This is it right off the lathe and with its first coat ofwalnut oil.

Since I wasn’t sure how well a yellow bowl would fit their décor,I decided to let it darken in the sun and cure the oil.

Thought I should finish the others too and take somepictures as a group before sending it on its way.
Dimensions are 17 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 7/16, 15 x 3 ¾ x 3/8, 12 ½ x2 ½ x 3/8. All are finished with walnut oil.

Thought some Orange Oktoberfest from the shop frig wouldmake an appropriate size reference.:)

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome!

Scott Hackler
10-09-2012, 8:53 PM
Nice work Baxter. As cool as Osage is when yellow, I actually like the browning after the sun shine changes it.

David Warkentin
10-09-2012, 9:20 PM
They look great!

Bob Bergstrom
10-09-2012, 9:25 PM
Great set of bowls. They will look even better as the color starts to mellow.

Alan Trout
10-09-2012, 9:32 PM
Baxter,

That is a really nice set of bowls. Well done. I really like the form.

Alan

Thomas Canfield
10-09-2012, 9:47 PM
Great looking bowls. That last bottom shot shows the groth rings well centered and great base and signature. That first oil shot has a lot of shine, but the dull darkened wood will look good for a long time. Great nest.

Roger Chandler
10-09-2012, 10:23 PM
I like the grain in that osage, and the rim detail. Nice set, Baxter.........the guy you turned them for is sure to love them....nice foot on the bottom as well.........it fits the form well.

Michael Dromey
10-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Very nice Baxter. I bet when you first put the piece on the lathe it was very heavy. I also like the browning afterwards.

Kathy Marshall
10-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Those look great Baxter! That's a big nested set! Love the beaded rims and the sun tans!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
10-09-2012, 11:34 PM
My comments are the same. Simple though they are, they look great. I did a small OO bowl some years back and it sits in my office. The growth rings and now dark brown color look fantastic. These will too!

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2012, 11:35 PM
Looks great Baxter. I am with Scott. I actually like the brownish color that comes later.

Kelvin Burton
10-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Baxter, I'm assuming these were cored from one block of wood? They make a great set! I was fortunate to get some OO from a cousin in KY and have turned 2 bowls from it so far. One I gave away and the other I still have and it's turn quite dark. I really like this set, and the "natural look" from the walnut oil is very pleasing. Do you put any wax over the oil? How does this finish stand up over time?

Michelle Rich
10-10-2012, 6:02 AM
Very pleasing set..Big too!

Baxter Smith
10-10-2012, 7:44 PM
Thaks for your positive thoughts. The brightness of the yellow to begin with is quite striking but the brown is growing on me.

Very nice Baxter. I bet when you first put the piece on the lathe it was very heavy. I also like the browning afterwards.
This was the first osage I had ever cut or turned Michael. It definitely is solid feeling stuff. Even after drying, the big bowl is no lightweight.:)

Baxter, I'm assuming these were cored from one block of wood? They make a great set! I was fortunate to get some OO from a cousin in KY and have turned 2 bowls from it so far. One I gave away and the other I still have and it's turn quite dark. I really like this set, and the "natural look" from the walnut oil is very pleasing. Do you put any wax over the oil? How does this finish stand up over time?

You are right Kelvin, they started as one block. I have some walnut oil and beeswax mixed up that I will eventually apply to these. Since the walnut oil takes a long time to cure, I thought holding off as long as possible on applying the wax might help. They are still on the windowsill catching some rays. The oil and wax should shine them up a bit. As far as long term goes, they may become somewhat dull but applying more oil should brighten them up a bit. It won't make them as bright as a film finish, but if they get used,(and I hope they do), they will never look as bad.

charlie knighton
10-11-2012, 11:17 AM
very nice, really yellow, glad it changes