PDA

View Full Version : What finish to use?

Scott Lux
10-09-2012, 3:57 PM
I'm working on a natural-edge end-grain pear bowl. It is summer cut and turned green, but for some reason the bark has stayed on. Perhaps it's the Polycrylic I doused it with while trying to stabilize the punky pith.

I lack the equipment for spraying any finish (and I'm not interested in investing at this point). I'm thinking of using WTF as the finish. How does one wipe on a finish on a natural edge bowl? I'm assuming it's lathe off for the edges and lathe slow for the rest. Does that make sense? Should I stabilize the bark with Polycrylic first?

Any and all advice welcome. Here's an in progress pic of the hollowing. Sorry for the cell-phone pic.

Paul Williams
10-09-2012, 4:29 PM
I use wipe on poly applied on the lathe for my natural edge bowls. Enough seems ro run onto the bark, but I have to b careful about catching the paper towel on bark edges. On deep bark I use a small brush to apply wop dirextly to the bark. Looking at your photo I am not sure i would try to finish those edges with the lathe running. I would still use wop, but would apply off the lathe

John M. Smith
10-09-2012, 7:13 PM
Great looking, I would not put too shiny of a finish on that. Personally I like a satin finish on natural edge forms. Just my opinion.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I use minwax antique oil on mine. I flood it on, let sit and then wipe off the excess. I do 3 coats.

Michelle Rich
10-10-2012, 6:07 AM
I agree with Bernie..I'd use a wipe on type and not run the lathe to apply. That bowl looks interesting from what I can see..hate to knock off the rim

Prashun Patel
10-10-2012, 9:21 AM
WTF can be wiped on, but I've heard that it dries super quickly - like shellac. This makes it a little tricky to wipe on. People seem to have to level and buff it. These things are more painstaking to do with the lathe off.

If you want a gloss, built up finish, I'd use WOP. In fact, I think a good way to apply WOP is with the piece on the lathe, but with the lathe off. Paint it with a foam brush generously. Let the drips form underneath and dab them off for a few mins, then turn the lathe ON @ lowest speed. This distributes the rest and leads to a great, level finish.

If you want it in the wood, I'd use something with oil in it like DO, Antique Oil, or even WOP+BLO.

Scott Lux
10-10-2012, 9:50 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.
John, I will not be going for gloss for exactly the reason you stated. That and I'm pretty sure my sanding issues would be magnified with a gloss finish :o
Bernie, sounds like a trip to the paint store is in order today.
Michelle, you've done far more intricate pieces than I ever will. So I will follow your application advice!
Prashun, I have wiped on WTF, and it does dry quickly. I'm still early in the learning curve for it, and I'm not sure I want to learn on this piece.

My wife has already claimed this one and says if I sell it I need to get at least $200. It's about 11" across the widest part.

Fred Belknap
10-10-2012, 10:40 AM
Scott I have use Genera WTF and am not a great fan, probably something I'm doing wrong. On finishing the bark I usually soak it in thin CA. Try not to get the CA on the wood. I apply it so that it runs toward the edge instead of back on the wood, like I do the inside while on the lathe putting CA on the bottom then take it off and set it upside down and do the outside. I use AO on most of my stuff.
Hope that don't crack.