PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening with diamond plates

Michael Ray Smith
10-09-2012, 11:53 AM
I sometimes use diamond sharpening plates (I refuse to call them "stones"), specifically DMT Diasharps. For a lubricant, I've used water as the manufacturer recommends, which works okay. I've also tried using them dry, which seems to work okay, too, as long as you don't mind washing them off frequently -- and if you're going to do that, you might as well use water as a lubricant. Last week I using one of them to sharpen something or other, and on an impulse I picked up a spray bottle of Krud Kutter and used it as a lubricant. I liked it because it was a lot easier to keep the plate clean than with plain water.

Anyone see a downside?

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Water with a little bit of detergent of just about any kind improves things too. No idea if there would be any issue with crud cutter - unless there is something in it that will somehow dissolve the nickel plating that bonds the diamonds to the steel I don't see why it would be a problem.

Andrae Covington
10-09-2012, 2:02 PM
According to the MSDS, the active ingredient in Krud Kutter is phosphoric acid. Nickel is more resistant to corrosion than most metals. Eventually the acid would probably eat away the nickel, but I don't know long it would take.

I mostly use my DMT stones dry. I have used water, and occasionally WD-40.

Ralph Boumenot
10-09-2012, 3:13 PM
I use window washer fluid when I use my diamond stones (plates). When I'm done with them I flush them with water and put them away.

Charles Bjorgen
10-09-2012, 5:58 PM
I lube my Dia-Sharp plates with water and a couple drops of Kodak Photo Flo added to the water but that's only because the Photo Flo was handy in my shop. I would not hesitate to use a bit of dish detergent in the water. Just helps wash off the swarf while sharpening.

Don Dorn
10-09-2012, 6:30 PM
I saw that Paul Sellers was using glass cleaner. After trying, it does seem to work well, but it's still water based so I'm not sure what advantage it has, but I'm used to it now and it does seem to create a quick swarf.

john davey
10-09-2012, 8:36 PM
What about the duosaharp plates? They have holes in them to catch the crap, do they need water or should they be used dry? Thanks, John

David Weaver
10-09-2012, 8:52 PM
I would use diamond plates with water and not dry. It's my guess that the plates will last longer with water, though I never bought two and compared them that way. The duosharp is fine with water, but it can be used dry, too.

Metod Alif
10-10-2012, 8:03 AM
A squirt of mineral spirits works for me. I squeegee off the (black) swarf. The same with the water (oil saturated) stones.
Best wishes,
Metod

Michael Ray Smith
10-10-2012, 4:32 PM
According to the MSDS, the active ingredient in Krud Kutter is phosphoric acid.

You must have looked up the MSDS for Krud Kutter rust remover. I'm talking about the cleaner/degreaser -- it's some sort of proprietary detergent.

Steven Lee, NC
10-10-2012, 5:16 PM
Have you guys been able to get a mirror back with the extra extra find dia sharp plates?

Gary Herrmann
10-10-2012, 5:24 PM
Close enough for me.

Darren Brewster
10-10-2012, 11:26 PM
I like to use mineral oil. I just grab the bottle of baby oil from the nursery.

Tim Put
10-11-2012, 8:15 AM
Have you guys been able to get a mirror back with the extra extra find dia sharp plates?

The finest (3 micron) DMT plate gives me a good, but not absolutely perfect edge. It, eventually, leaves a very shiny surface with fine iridescent (colourful) scratches. But not a deep perfect mirror.

Andrae Covington
10-11-2012, 2:19 PM
You must have looked up the MSDS for Krud Kutter rust remover. I'm talking about the cleaner/degreaser -- it's some sort of proprietary detergent.

Ohhh, ok. Didn't realize there was another product. So... mostly glycol ethers then.

Steven Lee, NC
10-11-2012, 8:11 PM
The finest (3 micron) DMT plate gives me a good, but not absolutely perfect edge. It, eventually, leaves a very shiny surface with fine iridescent (colourful) scratches. But not a deep perfect mirror.

thanks, that's pretty what I'm getting too which to me is plenty sharp

Jim Matthews
10-11-2012, 9:02 PM
I use window washer fluid when I use my diamond stones (plates). When I'm done with them I flush them with water and put them away.

Ralph beat me to this - Paul Sellers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6ykVzL2VAM)does the same.
Three stones, no muss, no fuss.