PDA

View Full Version : Best Bench Chisels?

Steven Green
10-09-2012, 12:33 AM
My bride wants to give me a set of good bench chisels to christen my new shop. I've got more than a few from my father, a carpenter and my grandfather as well. Also my set of beaters that I've used for years on the job. Speaking for yourselves what would you consider a really good make of chisel?
I've gotten mixed reviews on the new Stanley sockets although I favor socket style.

Eugenio Musto
10-09-2012, 3:29 AM
Steven,i suggest to buy only 2-3 chisel instead of a set, 1/4 and 3/4 are the sizes that you will most use for dovetails or joinery works ad you can always add others in the future.In this way you can save money and buy some premium chisel like Blue Spruce, LN or the new Veritas in PMV11(sincerely i don't know if they take an edge better than A2,i'm still waiting to buy,test and maybe review them because at the moment they are non available here in Europe).
Regardind vintage i use E.A. Berg chisel and they are very good,also the blue Marples are a good choice..

Rick Fisher
10-09-2012, 4:38 AM
Depending on budget.. I would probably be looking at the new Lee Valley PM chisels made in Canada .. Seems like a really good bet for the buck ..

Matthew N. Masail
10-09-2012, 5:01 AM
It's contradictory, you ask about THE BEST and then about the moderately priced Stanley.

After some recent posts it seems to come down to this:

if you want the longest edge retention (no specific order):

1. http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69847&cat=1,41504

2. http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=312_553_556_563

if you don't want special steel and A2/O1 is fine then there are so many choices - all being great it's a matter of choice; Blue spruce/Lee Valley O1/Various Japanese/LN and more...

LN are the traditional Socket style but I'm sure you know that.

I own 5 white steel Koyomaichi’s http://www.toolsfromjapan.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=312_489_490_491 very very good I've been surprised how much they held an edge chopping plywood.... (I really need to get a beater set)

Joe Zerafa
10-09-2012, 5:20 AM
How about Harold & Saxon, they are stunning.... http://www.haroldandsaxon.com/product-range/

Casey Gooding
10-09-2012, 8:00 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about the new Veritas chisels. I am very interested to see the new steel for myself.
That being said, I absolutely love my Lie-Nielsen chisels. I have owned many of the current premium brands and keep going back to these. The have great balance, are comfortable to use and just feel great in use.

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 8:32 AM
I have the Veritas 01 chisels, they are FANTASTIC. That said, if I were buying now, I would buy their PM-V11 chisels, no question.

Adam Cruea
10-09-2012, 8:37 AM
I personally like the Sweethearts that I got. IMHO, you pay for what you get; a moderately priced set of chisels that you can expect to tune.

First off, they come covered in lacquer. Second, they aren't too sharp straight out of the boxes. Third, some lapping of the back is suggested to make sure they weren't beveled on the wrong side.

I took about a day to get all of my chisels reground for a decent bevel and to lap the backs to make sure the first inch or so of the chisel was moderately flat and to get out the tooling marks from the factory. They have worked just fine for me for cutting everything from pine to hickory. After beating on hickory for a good 30 minutes, sure, the edges are dinged up, but I'd like to see a steel that can hold up to beating on that type of wood to begin with. Even the D2 Ray Isles mortise chisel I have eventually gets the tip dinged and needs resharpened.

David Weaver
10-09-2012, 9:07 AM
I personally wouldn't change anything you have unless you have an identifiable shortcoming with one of the chisels you have. Like does one not hold an edge, does one bruise the work, are you dissatisfied with handles that can't be removed, etc.

Despite all of the new chisels that are around, I would LOVE to have as my working chisels a set of old tanged bevel edge chisels made of very plain steel. That is a huge challenge, though, to get them at a reasonable price and in a matching set or relatively close to that.

If I was going sockets, I would get stanley 750s with ugly handles (they're cheaper that way) and for the sizes that go looney tunes prices (like 1/8th), I'd get any other chisel to fill in the gaps.

Koyama-ichi plain jane white steel chisels are also nice if you like japanese chisels. Far and away my favorite "inexpensive" chisels.

If you want super-tough chisels for relatively cheap, push Stu to carry iyoroi's. I don't know if he'll be able to get them, but they are borderline mispriced they are so cheap, but you can't get them at this point in time from anyone who speaks english. I personally would rather have koyamaichi white steel, or deal price white steel premium chisels if you're ever lucky enough to have such a thing fall into your lap.

Matt Sollars
10-09-2012, 9:23 AM
any idea on the cost/where to buy the new PM-V11 sets?

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 9:24 AM
any idea on the cost/where to buy the new PM-V11 sets?

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69847&cat=1,41504

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 9:36 AM
If you want super-tough chisels for relatively cheap, push Stu to carry iyoroi's.

I thought there were a couple vendors here in the states that carry Iyori's. Doesn't TFWW sell them or are those different then what you are talking about?

Matt Sollars
10-09-2012, 9:49 AM
i'm an idiot. i looked shortly after i posted and saw it was right there on the site. didn't get a chance to edit my post.
thank you chris.
Matt

Mike Henderson
10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Get the Lee Valley PM-V11 chisels.

Mike

Jim Matthews
10-09-2012, 11:16 AM
Keeping with a Blue Theme - a set of Blue Spruce Cabinet maker's chisels or a set of Marple/Irwin blue handles.

The temptation is to get one good set, and baby it.
The good ones are plenty tough and a pleasure to use.

Here's a link (http://www.thebestthings.com/newtools/chisels.htm) for SWMBO to look over.

FYI - I've taken to driving chisels with an inexpensive deadblow hammer built for auto body shops.
That's a handy addition to any chisel set that you strike (it won't mar the handle or roll off the bench).

george wilson
10-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I seriously doubt that you could find anything better than the PM VII chisels from LV. I am delighted with my VII plane blade. There just isn't any better metal out there. LV is making some of the finest tools ever made,especially with this new tech metal.

Klaus Kretschmar
10-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Being lucky enough to have a set of the Veritas PM-V11 chisels, all I can do is to recommend them wholeheartedly. Do yourself a favour and order just one of those in the size you use most. Use the heck out of it and you will be convinced that this bench chisel hardly can be topped. It takes a keener edge than you expect, it holds the edge remarkably longer than others, it comes out of the box with a dead flat back that is honed in a minute, it is really easy to sharpen and it maintains this bundle of characteristics even if the bevel will be ground to 25 deg. or even less. The beveled sides are great as well.The chisel does more than a normal bench chisel, it is a top notch tool for dovetailing as well.

Try one out and I'm pretty sure, that more will follow you into your shop.

Klaus

Prashun Patel
10-09-2012, 11:44 AM
If it were me, I'd get a SET of Narex bench chisels, and spend the money you save vis-a-vis an expensive set on a good sharpening system and instructional dvd/class.

Then, once you've gotten good enough for yourself at sharpening, look at getting pricier individuals. You will find that chisels are like drills; lots of people like the ones they own. I am willing to bet that the ones who think theirs are the best of the lot are just excellent at sharpening/honing/marking.

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 11:53 AM
PM V11 = the iPhone 5 of woodworking.

Yes, your current phone works just fine and is light years ahead of what was available just a few years ago, but you and I both know that's not going to stop you from upgrading ;)

Jim Koepke
10-09-2012, 12:06 PM
My bride wants to give me a set of good bench chisels to christen my new shop. I've got more than a few from my father, a carpenter and my grandfather as well. Also my set of beaters that I've used for years on the job. Speaking for yourselves what would you consider a really good make of chisel?
I've gotten mixed reviews on the new Stanley sockets although I favor socket style.

My preference is also for socket style chisels.

Determining which chisel may be the best is almost impossible. What is best for me may not be what someone else will agree to be the best. There is even a debate as to what steel is the "best."

In my set there are various chisel brands to use for many purposes. For most things my Buck Brothers chisels are preferred, for other jobs it may be a Stanley, Witherby, or some other maker's chisel that does the work.

Another consideration is if your bride (and you) can afford a full set or a partial set of new chisels or do you prefer "vintage" tools. If you like vintage tools, my preference is for Buck Brothers ahead of Witherby for bevel edged chisels.

I tried to answer last night, but the server went down.

My answer would have been much simpler then with a suggestion to consider the offerings from Lie-Nielsen.

One of the things to my liking with the Stanley set is the 1/8" size and the sizes larger than an inch. My 1/8" chisel comes in handy at times. My 1-1/4" & 1-1/2" chisels get used often. Not so often for my 2" chisel.

The 3/8" and 5/8" also see a lot of use.

To paraphrase what another member has as a tag line, "you can never have too many chisels..."

As far as the old Stanley chisels go, I only have a few and they are fine chisels. At one time I had a 1" Stanley 750. It was sold due to the collector value and the size is one that is well duplicated in my set.

The most important consideration may be what your use will be. My preference for my Buck Brothers chisels is because of a lot of paring work. My Witherbys get used more for hand cutting dados.

Then there are others used for rough or framing work.

jtk

- "Anyone who isn't totally confused just doesn't understand the situation."
- Edward Murrow

Adam Neat
10-09-2012, 12:19 PM
If it were me, I'd get a SET of Narex bench chisels, .

This is what I recently did; great chisels. If I was going to get one or two I would really look at the PM-V11, just too many good things being said,

But me; wanting a "set" , I got the Narex This set actually http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67707&cat=1,41504

10 chisels, 1/4" to 2" 119.00.

A PM-V11 chisel is going to be about $80.00, each.... Im not quite ready for that yet

daniel lane
10-09-2012, 12:32 PM
PM V11 = the iPhone 5 of woodworking. Yes, your current phone works just fine and is light years ahead of what was available just a few years ago, but you and I both know that's not going to stop you from upgrading ;)

Chris, I had to laugh - you posted just two below Klaus, and his post made me want to write, "maybe I should consider selling my LNs for a set of the PM-V11 ones". :p

To the OP - I have used several different types/brands of chisels, and really like my LN A2s. They are comfortable and fairly easy to use for detail work and for chopping. My only real complaint is that the lightweight handle doesn't always help me find vertical when I'm chopping (I have an older set of DeWalt chisels that are a dead ringer for the blue Marples ones, they are heavier), but I'm still 'breaking them in' - only completed a couple of projects with them.

FWW did a chisel comparison a few years back and rated the LN set best of the western style due to ergonomics; Narex was best value western style, and Matsumura and Grizzly were the best overall and best value in the Japanese style chisels. You can see the summary for free here (http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=31061), but will need a subscription if you want to download and read the article.

daniel

Mike Henderson
10-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Yes, your current phone works just fine and is light years ahead of what was available just a few years ago, but you and I both know that's not going to stop you from upgrading ;)
You're absolutely correct. If you have a set of chisels that work well for you, keep them and don't look back. But the OP asked for recommendations for buying a new set. And the LV PM-V11 chisels are quite a bit better than chisels made from plain carbon steel or A2 steel. That opinion is common to almost everyone who has used them.

If someone is going to buy a set, or even a couple, of new chisels, I think they'd do well to get the LV chisels. If the chisels you have are working well for you, keep using them.

Mike

Chris Griggs
10-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Hi Mike,

Note my earlier post...

I have the Veritas 01 chisels, they are FANTASTIC. That said, if I were buying now, I would buy their PM-V11 chisels, no question.

You're absolutely correct. If you have a set of chisels that work well for you, keep them and don't look back. But the OP asked for recommendations for buying a new set. And the LV PM-V11 chisels are quite a bit better than chisels made from plain carbon steel or A2 steel. That opinion is common to almost everyone who has used them.

If someone is going to buy a set, or even a couple, of new chisels, I think they'd do well to get the LV chisels. If the chisels you have are working well for you, keep using them.

Mike

I absolutely agree with you. I was just being goofy with the iPhone comment. Was not intended as a rip on the chisels or anyone who has them. I've had the LV 01s less than 6 months and can honestly tell you that I'm continuously tempted to buy at least a couple of PMV11s. And again, if I was buying new, those are what I would buy, no question.

I apologize if my comment came of as a condemnation or such. Again not the intention.

Really it was me laughing at myself... As in "I already have a fantastic set of LV 01 Chisels, that work wonderfully and are light years better than what was available just a few years ago, however, there a good chance that this will not stop me from buying some PM V11 too because by all accounts it is just that good." I bet there are a lot of people who can relate to that feeling.

David Weaver
10-09-2012, 4:30 PM

More substance and less marketing from LV, though. I wouldn't be caught handling an apple product, but I would have no problem buying LV chisels if I didn't already have a problem of excess.

(I can't believe I'm included in the group of people who *doesn't* buy something materially better now. Paraphrasing moe norman, I feel like I'm making big strides with the little robot in my head. It used to tell me what to do, but now i'm finally telling it what to do :) )

Jim R Edwards
10-09-2012, 7:16 PM
I think this is a difficult question to answer because I believe a chisel is a personal tool if that makes any sense. It may have steel that never needs sharpening but if it is uncomfortable to use it is not the right chisel to own. I put more importance of how it feels over the quality of the steel(o1,a2, ect). All chisels will eventually need to be sharpened so get a set that's comfortable to you. I had a set of marples blue handle chisels and vintage Stanley 750s. I sold the marples because I thought the handles were too long and uncomfortable to use. If I were buying anew set it would be lie nielsens.

phil harold
10-09-2012, 8:03 PM
The temptation is to get one good set, and baby it.
The good ones are plenty tough and a pleasure to use.

Mixed thought here
Why buy a good set and baby it?
If the chisels are good use the heck out of them

but have a set beaters for opening paint cans

Derek Cohen
10-09-2012, 9:01 PM
Bench chisels are the Jack of all Trades - they have to do everything well: pare, chop, mortice, dovetail ...

Good bench chisels combine several qualities: good steel that takes and holds a fine edge, ease of sharpening, narrow lands to get into angles such as dovetails, and comfortable handles for both power and control.

I have used Koyamaichi dovetail (= bench) chisels long before they became fashionable, and I think that they are fantastic for the steel. However, like other Japanese bench chisels they are uncomfortable for anything other than chopping owing to the hoop on the handle. But, then, Japanese bench chisels are optimised to be used with a nomi. This combination offers much control and precision with the chisel cut.

Koyamaichi, Stanley 750 (=LN), and Stanley 750 with shopmade handle ...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/VeritasChiselReview_html_m7f638b55.jpg

When I looked for a set of bench chisels several years ago one of my priorities was comfort and control. I had the choice of LN and Blue Spruce, and plumped for the latter as BS make fantastic handles - longer than the Stanley #750/LN design, which increases control for paring. The shorter 750 handle is better optimised for chopping in my opinion. That is a personal observation - I will not oppose others who find this different. Choosing a chisel is a personal thing. Anyway, I went for the Blue Spruce. That said, the LN are excellent - both these chisels are superbly balanced. I have a set of Stanley 750s, for which I replaced the handles and ground the lands thin like the LN. I have used LN a fair bit, and my Stanleys are so similar.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Chisels/IMG_2149.jpg

The choice of steel is an interesting dilemma: does one go for easy-to-sharpen (which may not hold an edge long) or harder to sharpen (with a longer lasting edge)? I have experimented with a wide range of steels from high carbon through white and blue laminated, A2, D2, M2 (HSS), M4, 3V and finally PM-V11. Some of these (e.g. A2, D2 and M2) are coarser grained and do not get as good an edge. They get sharp - do not mistake that - but just lack the extra bit that comes in handy when seeking ultimate control in that situation that requires extra effort. They do, however, last longer than O1, and that can be important. Still, I would not choose D2 for a bench chisel, although it is fantastic in a mortice chisel.

At this time the "best" reasonably priced bench chisel I know of is the Veritas PM-V11. They combine all the virtues I mention above: the handles feel in the hand like near duplicates of the Stanleys I turned. The balance and control is excellent. The steel is second-to-none. What I should add about PM steel is that is has the best of both worlds - a fine grain that takes a very fine edge, and durability to hold it, plus it is easy to sharpen.

LN and Veritas together ..

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasChiselReview_html_m658973e6.jpg

Below is a link to the review of the O1 set I have (I also have the PM-V11 - it pays to have been involved with the testing of these chisels from the inception of the design phase! :) ).

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/VeritasChiselReview.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Gary Herrmann
10-10-2012, 9:46 AM
I'd love to try one of the PM-V11s, but I've got my set of LNs. It is a quandry whenever something new comes out - especially if it's made out of great steel.

I guess I can throw one on my LV wish list and see if SWMBO bites...

Chris Griggs
10-10-2012, 9:57 AM
I'm hoping they come out with some narrower bench chisels and some mortise chisels made of the stuff,that will give me an excuse to buy some!

I'm also holding off on getting an apron plane until a PMV11 blade is available for it, that would be very very handy.
I've always wanted an LN 102, but the potential of having a PMV11 blade has swung me back towards the LV apron, guess that's a topic for another thread though!

bob blakeborough
10-10-2012, 2:32 PM
I love my Blue Spruce bench chisels... Super comfy to work with, take and hold an excellent edge, and are drop dead gorgeous to look at to boot! Not the most cost effective option, but they will be with me until I die and then onto the next generation where they will probably outlive them as well...