PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee Router collet stuck .. sigh ..

Rick Fisher
10-08-2012, 10:01 PM
I bought a 1-3/4 hp Milwaukee router to use in my multi router .. It was pretty cheap and I figured .. what the heck, its just a motor in this case..

So now it has a 1/2" Spiral bit stuck in the collet.. I hate this crap .. The collet cap comes off but the collet and router bit are jammed in the router ..

I have tapped it .. banged at it with a screwdriver .. Won't budge..

glenn bradley
10-08-2012, 11:41 PM
Interesting. That is a self unlocking collet. It should loosen via the wrenches and then turn loosely for about a full turn. Then is should get tight again and require the wrenches to pop it the rest of the way loose at which time the bit is freed. Is this the way the collet worked before this situation occurred? When you put this bit in were the collet and nut assembled as one unit? If not, "the collet" was not assembled correctly. There's not much to the assembly; you set the collet on the bench, set the nut over it and pop it on with a smack from your hand. The nut and collet should then remain one assembly from that point forward. If your bit is carbide I wouldn't repeat the smacking with a screwdriver; a wooden mallet maybe but preferably, grab the bit's shaft with channel-locks after wrapping it with a bit of rubber inner tube or strip of leather. You should be able to hold the permanent nut with the wrench and grab the bit with the pliers(?).

Steven Hsieh
10-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Put some lubricant where the router bit and collet is.

Put the collet cap back again. It should be firm loose.
Dont tight it.

Use the wrenches the router came with and hit the collet cap side at least 3 times or more.

Rick Fisher
10-09-2012, 12:44 AM
Its the first and only router bit that has been installed .. It sat in the Multi router for about a year..

glenn bradley
10-09-2012, 9:12 AM
It sat in the Multi router for about a year..

Ah, well that oughta do it. Sitting under tension for that period opens all kinds of possibilities that come down to the simple condition you describe; its stuck. Again, I don't advocate whacking anything that is directly connected to the arbor/bearings/motor but, that's just me. Twisting is more controllable. Liquid wrench or some other loosening agent a few times a day for however long it takes to get it inspired to move would be my first effort.

Steven Hsieh
10-09-2012, 11:02 AM
i say just leave it in the router and go buy 20 more routers.
have a router for each router bit.

Myk Rian
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
That ought to work. I know a guy with that many, or more routers.

Mix up some ATF and acetone 50-50. Shake it up, put a little on each time you walk by it.

Mike Hollingsworth
10-09-2012, 11:08 AM
whack it with a stick

Larry Browning
10-09-2012, 1:27 PM

That's what Norm does, isn't it?

Prashun Patel
10-09-2012, 2:15 PM
Try rapping the business end of the router bit INTO the router once or twice with a hammer and block. A whack or two on the heads of siezed bolts can cause them to unstick.

Subjecting the area to heat and then cold can also help it loosen it. If you are at your wits' end, you could try putting the whole thing in the freezer over night, then gently blowing hot air on it with a hair dryer or heat gun.

john bateman
10-09-2012, 5:28 PM
I think if you turn the router on and start cutting some wood with it the bit will probably loosen.
Obviously point it downward and don't extend the bit very far. Maybe just pulse the tool on and off quickly.

Myk Rian
10-09-2012, 6:04 PM
Not something I would do, John.
Never know what that bit will do.

Rick Fisher
10-10-2012, 2:33 AM
Sucks .. the bit is worth half the price of the router .. lol

I think I will use a pipe wrench .. If I can get it to turn..

I have a few routers .. This one was purchased to be a motor .. First Milwaukee Router .. To be fair, a year is a long time to leave a bit installed, but I have probably had a 1/4" round over in my 690 for as long and I know it will come out ..

glenn bradley
10-10-2012, 9:00 AM
To be fair, a year is a long time to leave a bit installed, but I have probably had a 1/4" round over in my 690 for as long and I know it will come out ..

That's because PC's callets are so wimpy :D. Sorry, Kidding, couldn't resist. Have you thought of placing a small screwdriver or other narrow wedge in the slots in the collet and tapping in order to spread the collet fingers? Just reaching a bit here :).

Roger Feeley
10-10-2012, 9:46 PM
These ideas are a bit out there:
-- Find a surgeon friend. Those guys always have some liquid nitrogen. You can apply the nitrogen to the bit and collet and hopefully it will contract and come loose.
--What about inserting the business end of the bit into another collet in another router and use the two routers to pull the collet out.

Rick Fisher
10-11-2012, 1:46 AM
Roger .. That second idea is a neat idea.. Its a spiral bit .. ( still stuck .. ) .. so it will work .. I am gonna try that right now ..

Rick Fisher
10-11-2012, 2:06 AM
Well.. lol

Sigh ..

Put the other end of the spiral bit in my 7518 .. As I tightened, I heard the sound of crushing glass.. Broke the cutting edge off the spiral bit . :o

At that point, I put a pipe wrench on the bit and removed it .. carbide everywhere .. Bit is shot ... Router will go on Craigslist..

Larry Browning
10-11-2012, 8:00 AM
Well.. lol

Sigh ..

Put the other end of the spiral bit in my 7518 .. As I tightened, I heard the sound of crushing glass.. Broke the cutting edge off the spiral bit . :o

At that point, I put a pipe wrench on the bit and removed it .. carbide everywhere .. Bit is shot ... Router will go on Craigslist..

Whew! I think you should be thankful that happened. That idea had the feel of what was about to happen when the drunk redneck says to his buddies "Hey!, watch this".

glenn bradley
10-11-2012, 8:13 AM
Well.. lol

Sigh ..

Bummer on the bit. So you're going to sell a router because you left a bit in it too long :confused: I would just learn from the incident and forge ahead. On the other hand, I can understand looking cross-wise at that router every time you used it after this experience ;). I have sent things down the highway for similar reasons although they were psychological, not reasonable but, it made me happy :). Just food for thought.