PDA

View Full Version : Porch table and chair set

Dave Shute
10-08-2012, 9:01 PM
Well I have been absent from the website and from projects for a while due to a hopefully successful fight with some cancer. So to make up for lost time I demolished and replaced a small wrap around porch and made some outdoor furniture for it. Got the table plans from Woodsmith and drew up my own plans for matching chairs. Made from white oak so it would be sturdy and durable for the porch environment.24280124280024280224280324280424280524 2806242808

Von Bickley
10-08-2012, 9:16 PM
Great looking porch and great looking porch furniture. Looks like a great place to relax.

Hope all goes well for you in the future.........

Bruce Page
10-08-2012, 10:37 PM
Great looking porch and great looking porch furniture. Looks like a great place to relax.

Hope all goes well for you in the future.........

+1 on that! Beautiful all the way around!

doug faist
10-08-2012, 11:00 PM
Dave - speaking as a 26 year cancer survivor, I can say that the stuff they give you sucks, but it's effective.

Apparently the cancer fighting drugs also instill innate woodworking abilities. The patio set is gorgeous.

Best of luck in the future.

Doug

Mike Cozad
10-09-2012, 5:38 AM
Beautiful work. What time is afternoon beer? Its like afternoon tea but more fun.

Dave Shute
10-09-2012, 6:32 AM
That's awesome you are 26 years cancer free, I am shooting for 40 years. Have to set goals you know. Thanks for the compliment, it was fun getting back to work and building something.

Bill White
10-09-2012, 10:21 AM
You have redeemed your absence quite well old boy. Very well done.
Bill

Brent Romero
10-09-2012, 9:36 PM
Very nice indeed. I like the chair design. Great job!! Wish you well...

Sid Matheny
10-10-2012, 4:32 PM
Wonderful job on everything and the table and chairs almost look to good for a porch. A+

Sid

Stew Hagerty
10-10-2012, 4:49 PM
It looks great, beautiful job. Where is you use the Original Waterlox versus the Marine Waterlox?
Congrats on being a Survivor. Instead of the Bic C, I have the Big T (transverse myelitis), so I know that being sick really sucks. I also know that feeling better absolutely ROCKS! Continued good health...

Dave Shute
10-10-2012, 8:46 PM
Stew, First I pray you conquer your illness and have good health. I use the Waterlox original as the sealer under the marine finish. It serves multiple duty in my shop, it's a great product.

Dave

Stew Hagerty
10-11-2012, 1:08 PM
Stew, First I pray you conquer your illness and have good health. I use the Waterlox original as the sealer under the marine finish. It serves multiple duty in my shop, it's a great product.Dave

Thanks Dave, I gladly accept any and all prayers.

So you applied the original then topped it off with the marine. Hmmm, interesting. I've only used it once so far, but was very pleased with the results. It seems pretty versatile.

I used it because I wanted to be able to spray on a dye based color that woudn't raise the grain. I have trouble with alcohol based dyes. Because of my condition, I can never seem to get it on and wipe it back quick enough to get an even look before the

alcohol evaporates. I had heard that you can add a dye to the Waterlox, so I looked into it. I used W.D.Lockwoods Metal Complex dyes from T4WW which are water based, then disolved them in Cellosolve, then added the Cellosolve/dye mixture to the

Waterlox and sprayed it on. I applied one coat this way, then sprayed on two more coats of straight Original Waterlox. I must say, this method seemed to work well and the results were very nice. The project was a pair of Ladder Shelves for my nephews.

They are made from hickory with maple plywood for the shelves. They wanted the colors to match their bedrooms, so for one I used Cherrytone Amber while the other is Dark Brown.

Here are a couple of pics:

Dave Shute
10-11-2012, 5:13 PM
Stew, the sheen of the waterlox toned down nicely on those shelves, how long ago did you finish them? I have found the the waterlox original it reaches final sheen after several months, starts off with a little gloss then softens. Yes I have used the original sealer finish under the marine and used it as a complete finish, it is very flexible and doesn't seem to require much maintenance. Even put it on our occasional tables which get a lot of abuse. I know people who use it on floors.

Dave

Stew Hagerty
10-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Stew, the sheen of the waterlox toned down nicely on those shelves, how long ago did you finish them? I have found the the waterlox original it reaches final sheen after several months, starts off with a little gloss then softens.

Actually I had snapped these photos within a week of applying the last coat of finish. The shelf panels do have a slightly lower sheen than the shelf frame. Because of their size, along with the wide open spaces and the multiple planes, I decided to spray the finish. Since I don't have a spray booth, I needed to spray these outdoors. As a result, I ended up with dust nibs on the flat surfaces. So after a few days I went over the panels with 0000 steel wool and paraffin oil. I'm sure the sheens will match up better in a few months, but I think it actually looks nice just the way it is.