PDA

View Full Version : Air stapler

Lou Morrissette
04-17-2005, 10:37 AM
Anybody had any experience using an air stapler to install cedar shingles rather than nails? Would they be strong enough or cause splitting? I've always used hand nailing but stapeling was suggested to me.
thanks

Lou

Russ Massery
04-17-2005, 12:34 PM
Where I live it's against code to use anything but nails on any type of shingle. they tend to tare thru in high winds. we a coil nailer. In N.W. Indiana. I use to live in Illinois they outlaw the use at least 10yrs ago.For the same reason. Hope it helps, Russ

Lou Morrissette
04-17-2005, 4:19 PM
Thanks Russ. I should clarify that I was talking about cedar shingle siding, not roofs. Maybe you were too.;)

Lou

Peter Lyon
04-17-2005, 7:59 PM
Lou,

I've applied quite a few squares (hundreds) of cedar shingles using a 7/16" crown head stapler. The main difference that I can tell is that it actually holds the shingle down better. Regardless of which (nail or staple) you end up choosing, I'd recommend going with SS. They don't cost that much more and you won't end up with black staining on any exposed fasteners.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 8:44 AM
Lou, not the same application, but I have used an air stapler to instal vinyl siding. The holding power seems to be the same as the nail and it sure is faster!

Lou Morrissette
04-18-2005, 7:16 PM
Thanks for the inputs guys. I just was'nt sure if it could be done. Sure would be faster.

Lou

James Stokes
04-18-2005, 8:04 PM
I have used a 1/2 inch crown bostich never had any problems

Alan Mikkelsen
04-19-2005, 11:36 AM
For putting up cedar shingle siding, I've used a 1/4" senco finish stapler. I have the 7/16", too, but I only use it for sheathing (OSB, etc). The 1/4" stapler works great.