PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Power Tool Brands?

Rich Riddle
10-08-2012, 6:47 PM
I am looking at a new or used planer, most likely used. I try to stick to tools that will have parts available for some time. In my shop I have one Inca saw, four Powermatic tools (1 gold), four Jet tools, three Delta and/or Rockwell tools, and a few miscellaneous tools. Most of my American tools are old iron and work well. The Jet tools are mostly new. Out of all of them, I think Inca is the most accurate tool, but the Rockwell units are my favorites. What brands of power tools are your favorites?

Gary Herrmann
10-08-2012, 7:46 PM
For more recently made tools, I like the Canadian Generals.

Joseph Tarantino
10-08-2012, 7:48 PM
in no particular order, ridgid, delta, rikon and emerson electric built older WW power tools (older c-man and gray ridgid).

Rick Fisher
10-08-2012, 8:06 PM
Felder, SCM, General Canadian, Festool..

I prefer used Euro Machinery to new Asian Imports..

Rich Riddle
10-08-2012, 8:36 PM
Felder, SCM, General Canadian, Festool..

I prefer used Euro Machinery to new Asian Imports..
I play in a different league with a lower budget. That said, I didn't know Festool made large power tools. I have a track saw and sander. I have wanted to see a General but never had the chance. When I replace the Unisaw it will most likely be with a European slider. That's a long way down the road.

Rick Fisher
10-08-2012, 8:52 PM
I play in a different league with a lower budget. That said, I didn't know Festool made large power tools. I have a track saw and sander. I have wanted to see a General but never had the chance. When I replace the Unisaw it will most likely be with a European slider. That's a long way down the road.

I think we play in the same league.. I have lots of Asian Import machines . just over time I am replacing them with used Euro stuff..

Favourite was the question. :)

Rich Riddle
10-08-2012, 8:56 PM
I think we play in the same league.. I have lots of Asian Import machines. just over time I am replacing them with used Euro stuff..

Favourite was the question. :)
I am likely going to get an Inca jointer planer even though I was just looking for a planer. I have a good jointer (Jet 8" with a Shelix head). What would be your recommendation for a used Euro tool especially a table saw. At times, I feel as though I am in the minor leagues with all the used tools.

Mike Heidrick
10-08-2012, 9:53 PM
I could really care less about the brand name. Its more about who makes the best tool and buying a high quality tool. I own American, Asian, and Euro tools and tooling and 60% have been used or demo tools. What I have learned is if you cannot afford the tool you want save up more and do not sacrifice. Buy the last one first. Do that enough and your shop will be amazing. Save a fist full of cash for the deals and be ready to commit immediately and be ready to drive if needed.

Rich Riddle
10-08-2012, 11:31 PM
Mike,

What do you mean by, "buy the last one first?"

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2012, 3:23 AM
Mike,

What do you mean by, "buy the last one first?"

Don't buy tools you will regret until you upgrade later.

Mike Cozad
10-09-2012, 5:35 AM
Don't buy tools you will regret until you upgrade later.

X2. I have been doing that exact thing the past few years. The machine I still lack is a jointer. I refuse to settle for what I can afford right now. I continue to put my pennies in the little "jointer jar" until I have enough for the one I want not the one I could get....

Curt Harms
10-09-2012, 6:04 AM
As long as you can work around the lack of a certain capability, waiting and saving is probably wise. On the other hand, if the lack of a certain machine is causing irritation or lost productivity , it might be worth looking at a 'temporary' used machine. If you buy something with a decent reputation you might be able to use it for a while then turn around and sell it for close to what you paid for it. This would not apply to buying new with the 'drive it off the lot' instant depreciation.

Mark Ashmeade
10-09-2012, 7:31 AM
I have a different tack on this, more in line with Curt.

Unless I know it's the last one I'll buy, then I'll buy it when it's cheap. I started out with a shop full of RIDGID tools, (table saw, bandsaw, planer, jointer, drill press, RAS) simply because HD was clearancing them. I didn't even have $1200 in them. I sold them all at a profit when I upgraded them one by one as the next deal came along. Now my shop is a mix of Delta, Jet, Bosch, Powermatic, Sawstop & Grizzly. I have a MUCH better range of capabilities both in my own skills and that of the equipment. Some of the tools were used, some new. I paid top dollar for my drum sander and table saw, but next-to-nothing for my 29" crosscutting RAS. Those three are the last ones I'll buy in their respective categories, but I'm not sure I'm done with bandsaws, planers and jointers yet. In the meantime though, the ones I have are nice enough to not bug me when I use them.

It was my birthday the other day, and I now have a shiny little DW611 router kit with all the accessories. That's my favorite. It's a pearl of a design. I wish they made a scaled up version. The 618 is close, but not as fully featured. But I wouldn't say DeWalt is my favorite brand. I simply don't have a one-size-fits-all brand preference.

Paul McGaha
10-09-2012, 8:21 AM
As for favorite manufacturer I'd guess I'd say Powermatic. My shop is about half Powermatic and half Delta.

I agree with the others about trying to find good tools used though. Cost a lot of money to set up a shop. It's good to save some when you can. I like buying tools from creekers but I've done ok on craigslist too.

PHM

Rich Riddle
10-09-2012, 8:27 AM
X2. I have been doing that exact thing the past few years. The machine I still lack is a jointer. I refuse to settle for what I can afford right now. I continue to put my pennies in the little "jointer jar" until I have enough for the one I want not the one I could get....
So what jointer is your cookie jar going to purchase?

Jeff Duncan
10-09-2012, 10:26 AM
Well if it's about favorites then Martin is it for me....my shaper is by far my favorite tool!

I shop by name, but that's not where I start. First I do some homework and try to find who made superior versions of the specific machine I'm after. Once I've narrowed it down to a short list, I then keep an eye out for those particular manufacturers. So for instance when I bought my shaper I was actually looking specifically for a SCM T-110 which was a good quality shaper that fit my budget. There were several others on the list, mostly in the same price range, but that was the target machine. When the Martin popped up for a price lower than what I was ready to spend it was a no brainer. The key here is not the actual machines but the process....in other words you don't have to be looking for a SCMI machine, you can apply the same thought process to a Powermatic or a Jet or....???

So back to your original question, my favorite brands, (only including machines I actually own or have owned along the way)....for big equipment Martin, SCM, and Wadkin. Smaller equipment Powermatic and Delta. There's quite a few others I know I'd like....but I haven't owned them......yet;)

good luck,
JeffD

Steve Rozmiarek
10-09-2012, 6:20 PM
Vintage Oliver and Felder, but I also watch for Northfield and SCM when I need something. It might be better asked, what tool brands have you found that consistently failed to impress?

Alan Bienlein
10-09-2012, 7:00 PM
I don't have a favorite brand as I buy the best tool that I can afford that will do the job for me taking into consideration how often it will get used.

Rick Fisher
10-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Its funny ..

I have an old SCM / Centauro Bandsaw .. I love it .. Bought it cheap and restored it .. its a model that was pretty common in the 80's .. nothing special, lots of times you see them for $600 in rough shape.. I would not trade it for a new Chiwaneese bandsaw .. but that's me .. Its not fancy ... no microswitch on the brake to shut off the motor, only resaw's about 13" .. It is however a really well made Italian saw ..

I have a Griggio Jointer.. not a name you hear that often .. Italian and not really the fancy name . but its the last jointer I will ever own. I looked for over a year to find it and am glad I waited.

Its not really about brand name .. its about quality of build and what your going to use it for .. My next purchase will be a European 20" or 24" Planer.. I had been planning to buy one for several years when a Felder Edge Sander appeared at a great price .. so the planer may be a few more years ..

For me its about waiting for the right machine to come available .. I would love a Martin or Felder Format Planer but could end up with an SCM, Griggio or whatever crosses my path ..

Larry Edgerton
10-10-2012, 6:18 AM
SCM/Minimax must be my favorite because they keep finding their way into my shop. I look at it like Rick these days, a deal is a deal, and if I need it i'm buying it.

An F4 or equivalant is in order next, after I finish my house.

Larry

scott spencer
10-10-2012, 8:52 AM
I'm generally more interested in the individual tool than the brand name, but I've always had a some spot for the Canadian made General line, and am disappointed to see production end on those. I've also been pretty impressed with a friend's Minimax MM16, and his whole buying experience with them....Minimax is a class act.

Kelby Van Patten
10-10-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't believe in the "buy once, cry once" approach. I believe that as you progress in woodworking, your needs evolve. If I had bought my dream tools early on, then I would be replacing them now because, nice though they would have been, they would not have had the features and specs I need today. Nowadays, I have several Laguna products that I consider the best tools in my shop. If money were no object, I would probably have more Felder tools.

Jeff Monson
10-10-2012, 12:43 PM
I started with mostly Delta and Powermatic, having a space challanged shop, I started looking into the euro combo machines. I'd say Felder is by far my favorite. I still have a couple Powermatic tools in my shop and feel they are a very quality machine also.