PDA

View Full Version : New siblings in the stable!! (Gloat!)

Brian Hale
04-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Made a trip to Wilke Friday afternoon to pick up a Bridgewood MS10 mortising machine and belt/disk sander. The sander is the real inexpensive model but i just wanted something to hold me over till i have room for a wide belt sander.

The mortiser moved from a low priority to a high one when SWMBO decided the railings for the new deck needed to be made with M/T joinery so no screws would be visible. Since there's about 20 mortises to be cut and the all the deck wood is Ipe, i didn't think i'd enjoy doing them by chisel.

This model MS10 weighs 381 lbs and runs on 220v(1 hp 1750rpm). The table moves 12" left to right and 4" front to back. Spindle travel is 5.25" and the entire head can be repositioned by sliding it up/down an additional 6". (note the bolt behind the drill chuck). To move the table left to right, push the handle in. For front to back movement you pull the handle out.

Overall a fine machine! :D

This brings me up to 6 Bridgewood machines. Quality stuff and great service!!!

I'll do a review as time allows.

Brian :)

Ken Fitzgerald
04-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Brian......Great looking tools! Be sure to give us a follow up review so that others can benefit from your actual use and experience!

Corey Hallagan
04-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Congrats on the new tools!

Corey

lou sansone
04-17-2005, 11:31 AM
hi brian

nice tool... looks pretty heavy duty. In my book you get extra credit for the cast iron:D

I have a powermatic unit which is somwhat similar to the bridgewood, and I love it. Invest in good quailty mortice tooling and you will have a winning combination.

best wishes
lou

Russ Massery
04-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Sweet looking machine ,Brian. Congrats...........

Jim Becker
04-17-2005, 1:40 PM
That's a really stout looking machine, Brian!! I hope you'll do some form of review on it once you have some experience under your belt.

Dan Forman
04-17-2005, 1:49 PM
Looks like that ought to handle about anything you throw at it! Nice score.

Dan

Keith Christopher
04-17-2005, 8:46 PM
Brian,

OHHHHHH nice. You do love your bridgewood !

Keith

John Miliunas
04-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Ahhhh...Brian. Man after my own heart! I too like BW and the fine folks at Wilke! Good choice.:) Congrats on both purchases and yes, please forward reviews once you get going on both machines! :) :cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2005, 8:14 AM
Lookin' good! Sure hope you're not going to making those railings form treated Pine! :D:D:D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-18-2005, 9:02 AM
WOW, that sure makes my mortiser look like a toy! ;)

Brian Hale
04-18-2005, 7:52 PM
Thanks Guys!!

Lou, I bought the cheap Yorkcraft set from Wilke, do you have a suggestion for better tooling?

John, Keith.... Yes, Bridgewood and Wilke are tops in my book. I've been pleased with Every purchase made; Very high quality stuff and a great staff on hand that really knows their stuff

Kelly, Pine?? Naaaa Nothing but the best for SWMBO, Ipe for everything visiable.
Actually she's building the deck and railings, i just lend moral support :rolleyes:

Brian :D

Kelly C. Hanna
04-18-2005, 10:49 PM
Sweet Brian! I'd love to see progress shots if you can manage it. We're building another Ipe deck in july or August. Also going to be a small Pergola to match.

Keith Christopher
04-19-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks Guys!!

Kelly, Pine?? Naaaa Nothing but the best for SWMBO, Ipe for everything visiable.
Actually she's building the deck and railings, i just lend moral support :rolleyes:

Brian :D

I can tell you all Brian's SWMBO is a VERY talented woman. I've seen the Hale compound and it is impressive. Having built it all herself. Wow. Brian ever get those DVD cabinets finished ? still waiting on pics or did I miss them ?

Keith

Kelly C. Hanna
04-19-2005, 1:44 AM
I have no doubt...working with Ipe isn't for the faint at heart. Do you have pics of her work Brian?

Brian Hale
04-19-2005, 6:48 PM
Here's a couple shots of "Her" deck.
First shot looking west.
Second shot looking east.
Third shot looking north
Forth shot east end closeup
Fifth shot decking closeup

The deck will extend around the maple tree on the right in the third pic. Total size is 22x57 at the longest points. The part that surrounds the maple tree will be octagonal with full steps on 3 sides. The railings are for the steps being built in the second shot and the section closest the the camera in the 3rd shot.

The house i framed out many years ago but SWMBO did the plumbing, HVAC, ele, drywall, roofing and siding before i moved in with her. Lots of other things like hardwood flooring and tile work also.

Brian :)