PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad it is Monday...

Russell Eaton
10-08-2012, 8:04 AM
This is what the weekend had for me. I processed the wood on my sawmill Saturday. Then the work started. We unloaded the truck and started to cut the blanks small enough to get up on the band saw. I still have a few more hours to finish waxing and roughing. One thing I did learn is that with a sawmill you can cut more blanks in 4 hours than you want to fool with in 2 days. The wood is sweet gum and some of the blanks are 23". The live edge boards on the trailer are just some cedar that I milled to make side boards for the trailer, it was real full. Comments are welcome. Russell

Darren Jamieson
10-08-2012, 8:17 AM
That sounds alot more like a wood gloat then a poor me I had to work hard all weekend. Some great looking blanks there.

Brian Libby
10-08-2012, 8:31 AM
Sweet gloat !! (pun intended)great looking stock.

Tom Winship
10-08-2012, 8:36 AM
Anyone who has a pallet jack for their shop has wayyy tooo much wood.
Congrats on your wood gloat

Roger Chandler
10-08-2012, 9:35 AM
Nice lookin' set up you have there Russell...........I have thought a number of times about having a bandsaw mill one day.....If I ever have the room for one and place to store some wood............Sweet!

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2012, 9:51 AM
A pallet jack? That's just rubbing the gloat in!! Congrats on all that wood!

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2012, 9:55 AM
Great gloat. I agree with Steve. A pallet jack to move wood is just rubbing it in big time.:D

Rick Markham
10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Now that's a gloat... I want to see a pic of your sawmill :D

Steve Busey
10-08-2012, 10:56 AM
Good luck chewing all that gum! If you keep stocking up like that you'll need to get rid of one of those lathes. ;)

Russell Eaton
10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Rick I will post a picture of the mill tomorrow. On the subject of selling a lathe...IT IS HOME RIGHT WHERE IT IS. On the pallet jack...it is REAL NICE.

Rick Markham
10-08-2012, 1:31 PM
Thanks Russell!

Donny Lawson
10-08-2012, 7:16 PM
I would agree that it's a great "Gloat" and some extreamly nice wood. The mill cuts it alot better and straighter than a chainsaw will anyday. Perfect way to do it.

Lee Koepke
10-08-2012, 9:23 PM
I would agree that it's a great "Gloat" and some extreamly nice wood. The mill cuts it alot better and straighter than a chainsaw will anyday. Perfect way to do it.

i have a neighbor with a mill, but i never seem to get down there. i always have some excuse like its easier just to crank up the Stihl and get it done, by the time i load and unload the wood .... then when I am exhausted, I really wonder what would have been easier ...haha

Jim Burr
10-08-2012, 11:03 PM
Bah!! Are you kidding me:eek:? Post your address so the less savory of us can pay you a midnight visit!!!;):rolleyes::D That should keep dozens of people busy of 15-20 minutes!!;)

Russell Eaton
10-09-2012, 7:43 AM
Rick this is the mill I bought. It is a TimberKing 2000. Fully hydraulic with the loader and clamps. It will cut more wood in 4 hours than you will be able to process in 2 days, don't ask how I know this! Here is a picture also of a 22"+ bowl that I roughed last night.

Lee Koepke
10-09-2012, 8:24 AM
very nice. one of these days, I may load up and wander your direction .... depending on which side of stockbridge you are on, I'm only about 45 min away..

Russell Eaton
10-09-2012, 8:31 AM
Lee feel free. just shoot me a PM and I will get you my number.

Jim Underwood
10-09-2012, 9:15 AM
This must be why I had a dream about processing some logs last night! :rolleyes: Unfortunately I got sidetracked in the dream and never did get to those logs....:(

Thanks for sharing the pix Russell.

Rick Markham
10-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Russell, that thing is sweet! So is the bowl by the way. I've been eyeing the mills for quite awhile. What is the Thickest slab you can cut with it? Smart man getting the hydraulic model, I bet that helps save your back (until it's time to load everything up that it's cut :D)

Russell Eaton
10-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Rick it will cut a 32" wide slab 12" thick. If it has a taper to the log on top it will go 16" thick. Trust me it is more than you want to offload. I plan on selling bowl blanks in the future so that is why I went full hydro. I have been trying to get a decent selection of different types of wood processed. It is a lot of work.