PDA

View Full Version : Shellac attack

Eric Gourieux
10-07-2012, 11:24 PM
I applied several coats of shellac (off of the lathe) to a large HF and have fairly thick overlap to deal with. I probably should have thinned it before I applied it, but I wanted to fill and smooth out some irregularities in the surface. Anyway, I now have a lot of sanding to do. My plan is to apply either WTF or lacquer once I get the shellac smoothed out.

Is there any way of smoothing out the shellac other than sanding? Can I apply DNA to the dried shellac and smooth it out that way? Any other suggestions.

Bill Hensley
10-08-2012, 7:49 AM
Put some music it on and start sanding. Wet sanding would probably go quicker, just be careful and check your progress as you go.

Doug Herzberg
10-08-2012, 7:52 AM
DNA should remove most of the shellac build up. Happens to me all the time. I use flakes - don't know what they put in the cans - so maybe this doesn't apply if that's what you used.

James Combs
10-08-2012, 9:13 AM
FWIW, WTF is mostly shellac, you may not need a separate shellac application. I have messed WTF application up before and stripped it off with DNA.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Eric I always sand mine to level. Be careful when sanding though.

Michael Mills
10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
DNA should re-melt it quickly. I do mine on the lathe; wet 4-0 steel wool with DNA, and burnish. You can do off the lathe but it will take more hand rubbing with the 4-0.

Richard Coers
10-08-2012, 11:36 AM
You can use a cabinet scraper, or single edge razor blade to remove a thick line or run. Then sand. You can use a backer block, or thick felt block to keep the sandpaper rigid to remove thick lines as well. I always sand the shellac anyway before adding more finish.

Eric Gourieux
10-08-2012, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. Has anybody applied WTF over BLO? I have been assuming that WTF would not be compatible with blo. I hope I'm wrong, as that would save me a lot of time.

Jim Burr
10-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I love Bills' response!! Anyone up for the "White Album"? Ha!!! I haven't tried shellac yet...so many questions...Lb weight, cutting, mixing...lack of brain cells, to much sawdust (not an issue in my shop!!!). Something to look at in the future...until then...sand on Eric!!

Robert Henrickson
10-09-2012, 7:18 PM
Thanks for the info, guys. Has anybody applied WTF over BLO? I have been assuming that WTF would not be compatible with blo. I hope I'm wrong, as that would save me a lot of time.
Not so long ago, John keeton discussed his sequence of BLO > Shellac > WTF in a thread on SMC