PDA

View Full Version : what kind of sander is this?

John Loftis
10-07-2012, 5:46 PM
I just picked up some used tools and the seller threw this sander in with the deal. It was given to him and he had no idea what it was. The left-hand wheel has broom bristles with slices of sandpaper between the bristles. The right hand sander has a canvas covering with (I believe) an inflatable balloon inside it. I think a sanding sleeve probably would have slid over the canvas.

Can anyone tell me what this is called?
I'm guessing it would have been for sanding contours?
Is it an obsolete tool, replaced by something new?

The motor runs perfectly smoothly, so I'm guessing I could retrofit it for some other purpose. Ideas welcomed. Right now it's a really heavy paperweight.

Steven Hsieh
10-07-2012, 5:54 PM
It is known as "Flap sander".

It is my Favorite sander for detail contour sanding.

Rounding corners and edges

Stephen Cherry
10-07-2012, 5:58 PM
the right side is an inflatable drum sander, a knock off of the sandrite. This is a most excellent setup for sanding non-flat stuff. Oars, axe handles, chairs, anything that is not flat.

This is a super score,

John Loftis
10-07-2012, 6:12 PM
Cool! It wasn't a veiled gloat, I promise. I'm guessing the attachments are original to the tool, which appears to have been manufactured in 1989. So... if I were to actually use it, I'd probably have to replace the attachments. Any idea where I'd get replacement parts?

What's a ballpark value on this thing?

George Babij
10-08-2012, 9:38 AM
John, that tool sells for about $350.00 up here in Canada. Sandpaper can be replaced on the brush side, ( Just did two units for a friend), bought 6" wide belts and cut to size. Quite easy to do really. Sanding Sleeves are quite easy to find up here anyway. Perhaps just search abrasive distributors in your area, and if they don't carry them they may be able to recommend a supplier.
Great machine.
Take Care
George